PDA

View Full Version : Pork Fat Anyone?

lizbud
10-24-2006, 09:48 AM
Uhh, no thanks. :D

Pork Fat, Anyone?

POSTED: 8:16 am EDT October 24, 2006
UPDATED: 8:25 am EDT October 24, 2006

LUTSK, Ukraine -- How does a nice slab of pork fat sound?

Salo is a Ukrainian delicacy. And now a slim 51-year-old man, Volodymr Stryhaniv, is the salo king.

He managed to down more than 2 pounds of the stuff at Ukraine's biggest-ever salo festival.

After 20 minutes of wolfing down pork fat, the winner said he could eat another pound of the stuff.

Salo is often eaten with a shot of vodka and garlic bread. But some restaurants are now offering chocolate-covered pork fat.

Killearn Kitties
10-24-2006, 09:52 AM
:eek: And they say the Scottish diet is bad???

slick
10-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Years ago I used to love eating those deep fried pork rinds. Well, apparently now I've discovered that they have 0% cholesteral and those with a low cholesteral diet can have those as an in between meal snack. Never mind all the fat and salt......... :eek: :rolleyes:

When I was a child you used to be able to buy a ham with the skin on. My Dad and I used to peel the skin off and bake it and chomp away on the crackling. To this day, I can't resist a bit of ham skin.

Salo is often eaten with a shot of vodka and garlic breadWell, I like the vodka and garlic bread........ :D

This little piggy went to market
This little piggy stayed home.....

Barbara
10-24-2006, 10:44 AM
Hm, there is lard with apples in Austrian and German cuisine and I love it on bread- but in the thickness of butter.

The thought of 2 lb salo however :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Randi
10-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Oh yes, I love them! Only like the ones below, and not too often. ;)

Some butchers here still sell these in small bags, much nicer when they’re homemade. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Fister/Diverse/flaeskesvaer.jpg

... and for the pork roast, they should look something like this ... uhhhmm!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Fister/Diverse/bi_20041006_1915_2_Flaeskesteg.jpg

In Spain, we had roast pork, in fact in a very famous restaurant for this dish, but they hadn’t scratched the skin at all! And they didn’t serve anything with it. Wierd!

lizbud
10-24-2006, 12:07 PM
Just the thought of swallowing a hunk of fat makes me gag.I cut off
every piece of fat on meat before eating it.

As to vodka & garlic bread. Not bad, but wine & garlic bread, mmmm. :)

caseysmom
10-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Isn't that what bacon is?

Sevaede
10-24-2006, 01:28 PM
That sounds like the ultimate combination to make one sick! :eek:

Argranade
10-24-2006, 01:42 PM
Ewww pork is gross,

I don't like pork,pigs are gross animals (Altho they can be cute) they eat there own poop and some farmers feed them old garbage. ''YUCK!''

That's one way to get more healthy pork.

Logan
10-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Slick, I wanted you to know that we used to relish the "skin" on the baked ham, too! Snapping off a piece and eating it up was a treat! :) I know I wouldn't do that today, but I have fond memories!!!!!

Logan

Lilith Cherry
10-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Here in China really fatty pork with skin still attached costs a great deal more than the fillet! To each his own i suppose but Im sticking with the fillet!

areias
10-28-2006, 07:04 PM
Ewww pork is gross,

I don't like pork,pigs are gross animals (Altho they can be cute) they eat there own poop and some farmers feed them old garbage. ''YUCK!''

That's one way to get more healthy pork.

Actually, pigs are one of the cleanest animals. However if they are kept in feeder pens that are about the size of themselves, how can they keep clean? They really don't eat their own waste. The pork that you eat from the grocery store, they are kept in high volumes, and are fed corn and grain for high weight gain. I suppose small time people (who uses their pigs for roasts and stuff) sometimes feed their table scraps, but most prefer to feed grain and corn. You can buy a 50lb bag of corn for like $5-10.