PDA

View Full Version : Pet Insurance?

areias
10-22-2006, 11:19 PM
Does anyone here have pet insurance? How do you like it? I am starting to think it may be a necessity. I am getting a quote from VPI Insurance. Which companies do you recommend?

I'm going to see if I can get Zoie insured. She has some knee problems (not diagnosed by a vet yet), I believe it to be a luxating patella, although I haven't done xrays yet. She does get sore on them, and she's just turning 1 year old at the end of the month. They pop out, and I push her leg up and it pops back in. I have a feeling that as she gets older she's going to develop more and more problems and may require surgery. I have talked about this with our stand-in vet, and she agrees with me. I did look through the policies and they say no congenital/birth defects, but I'm not sure if this is one. :confused: What do you think? What's my best way to go?

Sevaede
10-23-2006, 02:07 AM
The ASPCA seems to have a pretty good selection of plans! I might go through them!

Pawsitive Thinking
10-23-2006, 06:58 AM
Tobey and Brody are insured and Archie will be added as soon as he's been checked over by the vet. Learnt my lesson from very large vets bills when my Cally was so ill :(

ChrisH
10-23-2006, 08:25 AM
There is another thread on Pet Talk about Pet Insurance that you may find of interest. :)
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=113983&highlight=Pet+insurance

gardengirl
10-23-2006, 12:12 PM
I have been very happy with Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI) for 8 years. I have it on both dogs. My old dog has had chronic problems for 5 years and they have always covered him. It's not always as much as I want, but it still has been worth it.

Sevaede
10-23-2006, 07:45 PM
Just as an fyi, this is the ASPCAs most minimal plan.

The Safety Plan provides inexpensive protection against the costs resulting from your pet’s unexpected mishaps. Our least expensive plan, the Safety Plan covers pets whose age or health problems may prohibit coverage under another of our plans.

-The Safety Plan covers treatment and medication for accidents.
-Accidents such as poison ingestion, lacerations, bone fractures, burns, insect bites & bee stings, falls and motor vehicle accidents are covered.
-The Safety Plan has a maximum benefit of $8,000.00 per year, with a $2,500.00 per incident limit.
-All dogs and cats are eligible regardless of breed, health or weight conditions!
Coverage is available for dogs and cats age 8 weeks and up.
-Rates are $6.99 for cats and $8.99 for dogs.