PDA

View Full Version : Sammy killed a chicken!

dab_20
10-22-2006, 09:57 PM
My dad called and told me Sam killed one of the silkie chickens. :( He's really upset with him. He said lately Sam has been more and more aggresive with the birds and says when he has Sam outside and it's time to come in for the night it takes 20 minutes for him to come after he's been called. Do you think there is a reason for Sam all the sudden acting different?

Corinna
10-22-2006, 10:33 PM
Sounds like a lack of consistent disapline to me he's being a spoiled child pushing his limits .

dab_20
10-23-2006, 07:26 PM
My dad does not let Sam get away with ANYTHING. He makes the boundries clear to Sam, he's not spoiled one bit at my dad's house. So I know that's definatly not the problem.

I know that it was just his instinct, he's a dog and that may happen. I just think it's weird that he's been very friendly with them for months and all the sudden is aggressive with them.

Ginger's Mom
10-23-2006, 07:52 PM
I agree with Corinna, but I will phrase it a little differently. It is a lack of training. You can't just keep telling a dog "no" and expect him to suddenly know how to behave. In addition to teaching Sammy not to chase the chickens he has to show him how to behave when the chickens are around. This might mean that Sammy will only be allowed out on leash until he is taught how your father wants him to behave. It might mean putting up different fencing to keep the birds out of Sammy's part of the yard and vice versa. But there are definitely ways that they can all learn to live together peacefully again. Yes, chasing them is instinct, but I have seen other PTers who have somehow managed to teach their dogs to live with birds.

Alysser
10-23-2006, 08:05 PM
I am one who has a dog and a bird. Sassy doesn't like Star, and Star hates Sassy. But they manage, somehow. They both know where they stand and Sassy understands if she ever harms Star, oh, will there be a big punishment, and NO that does not involve smacking or abuse.

I'm assuming Sammy has lived with you most of his life and is used to a neighorhood setting. He has probably never lived with chickens.

RIP chickie! :( I'm sorry about your loss Danielle.

dab_20
10-23-2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. It will be easier to train him now that it is getting cooler, because the chickens don't really come out of the barn. My dad has been keeping him on a long leash when he goes to potty and he's able to be free when he's supervised. He believes that Sam was just playing with the chicken, but too roughly. He's got to learn even playing is not allowed. Thanks again.

Yes, he's lived with us since he was 9 weeks old, so I'm sure he's still adjusting.

IRescue452
10-23-2006, 08:19 PM
Sounds like he's alone too much and has nothing to do. I'm sorry about that. I know you can't do anything about that right now. Hopefully your dad will understand and be patient with the pup.

dab_20
10-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Sounds like he's alone too much and has nothing to do. I'm sorry about that. I know you can't do anything about that right now. Hopefully your dad will understand and be patient with the pup.

Your probably right... I never really thought about that. Sammy isn't used to be alone for 8 hours a day sometimes up to 7 days a week. I feel awful about it. I'll tell my dad that could be a reason, too.

borzoimom
10-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Dont feel bad dab.. Mine chase things all the time, and Femka ( the rescue) has treed a black bear twice, and bite them.. The first time the bear went up a tree, and she bit him in the behind, and the second a larger bear went up the tree, and the limb broke and the bear fell. Then the bear smacked at her, she twisted in mid air and promptly bit the bear on the face- riping the mouth.
I have to watch for small things alllllllllllllll the time. Sighthounds are awful for anything small and moving. I mean think about this- if they will chase a white plastic bag in lure coursing chasing is to the bone in instinct here. The joke is- we have some old deer ( bucks) that have figured out if they walk the dogs wont chase them if they are out. A chicken would run and cause commotion and it would be hard for a dog not to chase them. Once chased, the next follows.. The only little thing that survives here except for my vigilance in watching and letting the wildlife know we are out there, is the possum. Once they faint my dog will walk away.
Its a sad fact but true living on the top of a mountain. We have wildlife allll the time. I always open the door to the screen porch, turn the tv on loud, go sit out there and talk to myself.. ( rofl) to make sure the wildlife knows I am around and out. And none of mine are cat safe=. If it runs, its fair game.
May I suggest training her. Meaning put a check cord on her when outside. Thats like a thin lead but like 20 foot long. When she goes to chase the chickens pull her back and scold with a firm NO!!!

Argranade
10-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Awww, rest in peace for the poor bird.

Please make sure your dog is never near birds again if he's going to kill them.

Not saying its the dogs fault but now you know it's not good around birds.

borzoimom
10-23-2006, 08:45 PM
I have to watch all the time too. Like even at dog shows- they are fine. The little dogs on a leash. But I always know- to keep them leashed as the drive to chase is too strong. The same docile quiet couch pototoes I have can run 35 mph on open flat, and not tire for miles at a cruising speed of 20. My breed, if they get lost, can stay lost for years... and go very far.
I think silkies are really cute, and I would love to have some chickens. I have 18 acres up here but I also know my dogs...

dab_20
10-24-2006, 05:09 PM
Awww, rest in peace for the poor bird.

Please make sure your dog is never near birds again if he's going to kill them.

Not saying its the dogs fault but now you know it's not good around birds.

It's near impossible to keep him away from birds. We can keep him leashed though until he's trusted again. Like I said before, Sammy was only playing with the silkie, and that is the weakest breed of chicken and just coulden't take it. I called my dad today and he said he's been keeping him on a leash and supervised. I definatly think Sam will be able to be around them again, it will take more consistent training, though.

borzoimom
10-24-2006, 05:15 PM
Keep him on a leash is good. and train him not to chase the chickens as well..