PDA

View Full Version : An Ohio State student is killed...

CountryWolf07
10-22-2006, 04:00 PM
An Ohio State University student was pinned by an elevator in a campus dormitory and suffocated, authorities said.

Andrew Polakowski, 18, of Erie, Pa., was the last person in a group of students to enter the third-floor elevator about 11:30 p.m. Friday when it unexpectedly began to descend with the doors open, said Rick Amweg, assistant chief of the campus police.

Polakowski, a freshman pre-business major, was pinned when he tried to escape through a gap between the top of the elevator and the third floor, police said.

It was unclear if he jumped or tried to climb out, Amweg said. Police continue to investigate the case.

Polakowski had chest and abdominal injuries, and he died of mechanical asphyxia, said Franklin County Coroner Dr. Bradley Lewis. The student was dead at the scene, Lewis said.

Amweg said the death appeared to be an accident. Students gave conflicting accounts of how many others were on the elevator, he said.

The dormitory, Stradley Hall, has 11 floors and about 400 residents, Amweg said.

In a statement from the university, Interim Vice President for Student Affairs Richard A. Hollingsworth said:

"The Ohio State University community is saddened by the death of Andrew K. Polakowski, who died in an elevator accident in his residence hall late Friday evening. We extend our deepest sympathy to his family and close friends, and mourn the tragic loss of this young man.

Although this was his first quarter at Ohio State, Andy was already an involved and popular student. He had helped other students move into Stradley in September as an Ohio State Welcome Leader and was employed part-time as an office assistant in the building. He was known as a friendly and outgoing person, who enjoyed sports and hoped to major in business. He was 18 years old and a resident of Erie, Pa.

The cause of the accident, which occurred on the third floor of Stradley Hall at about 11:20 p.m. Friday, and the circumstances surrounding it are under investigation. The university is working with police and fire officials and elevator inspectors from the state Department of Commerce to determine how this happened. None of the other students aboard the elevator at the time suffered any physical injuries, for which we are grateful.

This incident has been traumatic for a number of students. Those who knew Andy are grieving as well. Psychologists and other trained staff are providing counseling and other support to them."

MajesticCollies
10-22-2006, 09:03 PM
OMG saw that on the news today, How tradgic. Hope everyone who new him will be OK. Prayers from us here at Majestic Collies.

cyber-sibes
10-22-2006, 10:12 PM
:( This is the first that I hear of this. Prayers going out for this young man and his family. Last year my son lived at OSU on the 22nd floor in one of the dorms in the towers. Dorms can be a little crazy to live in, but you sure don't expect your kid to die in a freak accident like this.

Laura's Babies
10-22-2006, 10:33 PM
This is the first I heard about this. Terriable! My heart goes out to his friends and family.