PDA

View Full Version : Help

horse_1987
04-26-2001, 09:11 PM
A friend of mine owns Shih Tzu dogs (4 of them) and one of them, Frankie, won't walk on a leash. As soon as you attach one to his collar, he'll lay or just sit down and refuse to move. My friend has tried just putting a leash on him around the house (supervised of course) and he'll walk around with it on, but as soon and somone picks up the leash he refuses to move http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/confused.gif If anyone has any ideas, plz help us.

[This message has been edited by horse_1987 (edited April 26, 2001).]

aly
04-26-2001, 10:22 PM
Does he like treats? Maybe once you put the leash on, you can distract and lure him with treats. If that doesn't work, I have no idea what else to try. I've never seen that happen before.

horse_1987
04-27-2001, 05:43 AM
I've never seen this happen before either http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/confused.gif thanx for the idea aly, we'll have to try treats, but I'm not sure it'll work, because Frankie seems to be afraid of the leash, well either that or he knows what to do and is just being stubborn... i am running out of ideas, this is very fustrating.

Jasper's Mom
04-27-2001, 06:17 AM
Is this a rescued one, perhaps gone through trauma from someone else? If not, I personally don't have an idea, but contacting an animal behaviorist may help. I did with a dog I rescued, and with treat training and their advise it changed everything.

[This message has been edited by Jasper's Mom (edited April 27, 2001).]

carrie
04-27-2001, 04:39 PM
This is not as unusual as you may think - especially with the little guys that like to think they are the boss.
It is impossible to say if this is dominance or past abuse but this suggestion - if consistent and really worked at - will work with both with the minimum stress.
Try feeding the other dogs normally but when the "non leash" dog is to be fed he must tolerate the leash for a short walk - say a quarter of the way down the garden - to his food bowl. When he is happy with this begin to increase the distance to the feed bowl.
Beware! If this is a dominance problem the dog will dig his heels in and still refuse to move. You must not give in, not even a little bit with a few treats!!!! If he goes hungry for a day it will not kill him.
Before trying this split his food into three meals a day for three days so that when you start the leash before food thing he is used to eating often and has plenty of time to decide he really is hungry. More to the point he has plenty of time to realise you are not going to give in!!
When he is happy with the garden you must make him walk a little further before each meal.

horse_1987
04-27-2001, 08:15 PM
Thank you very much everyone! I'll tell my friend everything, and we'll work with him together, Wish us luck! we'll need it. haha

horse_1987
04-29-2001, 07:14 PM
*ugh* it didn't work. I am almost ready to give up, I tried using a treat but he'll just plop down and won't move for anything. Do you think a harness would work? I just have a regular collar on him.

Rottie
04-30-2001, 02:24 PM
Put a buckle collar on him and just start walking. Eventually he should get the idea. Although I think choke chains are good training tools, do not use one in this case.

I don't want to discourage you but my dog trainer has a Boston Terrier that will let you drag her for a mile. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif

horse_1987
04-30-2001, 03:24 PM
We are gonna give up, he just won't move, he is refusing .. there seems to be nothing we can do. We'll just have to leave him at home when the other 3 go for a walk.

bugmom
04-30-2001, 05:58 PM
maybe if you make a BIGGER fuss over the three going for a walk and pace by the window - jealousy will overcome dominance and stubbornness and the little guy will walk on the leash.

or maybe carry him along, leash attached, and if he struggles to go down - put him downa nd see what happens.

bugmom

horse_1987
04-30-2001, 08:08 PM
you know what? that might work... hehehe. I'll definitly try that before I give up. I'll be happy to try any other ideas, I'm ready to give up http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/confused.gif

RachelJ
05-01-2001, 07:24 AM
Yah, don't give up. Keep trying different techniques and tactics. Watch "what works" with the dog in other activities that you may be able to use. I really like bugmom's suggestion. Everybody else gets to go out, have fun outside and the recalitrant one is left alone in the house feeling left out. Ask "Who wants to go for walkies?" If the others are anything like mine, they will get all excited and eager. This should help set the stage. Click on each one's leash, making a big deal about that part. Act excited. "Okay, we are going for walkies." Don't be discouraged if something doesn't work right away. Dog training isn't always easy. What you want to try to do is make the process fun for the dog.