PDA

View Full Version : Breeder sites

Muddy4paws
10-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Does anyone know a site that reccomends proper breeders? I always seem to end up on ones that really dont look too good

Thanks

.sarah
10-21-2006, 06:07 PM
For what breed?

lwds
10-21-2006, 06:09 PM
The breeds' national club should have info, and info on a local club you can get in touch with (for locals).

I know very few breeders who have websites, their dogs are mainly sold through word of mouth (and the ones that do have one, rarely have puppy/litter info). That's the experience I have with my breed, though.

Muddy4paws
10-21-2006, 06:18 PM
For what breed?

Its a choice of 3 breeds, either a Chihuahua, pug or daushund.

The breeds' national club should have info, and info on a local club you can get in touch with (for locals).

Thanks, I'm looking online and I cant actually find many Daushund breeders that looks very proffesional, it seems they always have another breed on top of a daushund

NicoleLJ
10-21-2006, 06:23 PM
I agree with lwds. Contact the national breed club. They usually have a listing. I know many breeders of White Shepherds(including myself) and GSD's that have very professional websites. But I do not know of any in the breeds you listed.
Nicole

lwds
10-21-2006, 06:26 PM
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/

(if you go to "Dog Breeding" at the top, scroll down to "Breed Clubs" and then "Breed Standards," you can look up the breeds, and their clubs are at the bottom)

HTHs, and hopefully I clicked the right kennel club!

btw, I believe it's "Dachshund" ;)

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-21-2006, 07:09 PM
Your spelling of Dachshund (pronounced Dox-hund in most areas) could be part of your problem with finding a reputable breeder, but you're right, they are hard to find. I'm not in the UK, so I don't know of any breeders that I'd recommend over there but if you'd like, I could try to find a couple for you. If you were to get a Dachsie, which coat type would you like (wire, longhaired, or smooth)? and what size (miniature or standard)?

You could join Dogsey (http://www.dogsey.com/dog-forums.php). They're a UK dog messageboard and there are some people on there with Dachshunds. Perhaps they could point you in the right direction. :)

Good luck! I can't help you at all with the other breeds as I know next to nothing about them.

MajesticCollies
10-21-2006, 07:25 PM
Whoa whoa whoa, If you are "shopping" for a purebred, don't shop the internet, Go to a dog show. Look on the internet for your local Kennel club and they will list the upcoming shows. Each show will have a book of all the entries and the breeders. Talk to them there. But.... Wait for thier show to be over cause they are so busy preparing they hate to be disturbed. You find out many interesting things about local breeders at shows. Go to more than one show.

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-21-2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks for adding that, Tim! I was going to say something about going to a dog show aswell, and then forgot all about it. Shows definitely are the best way to find a breeder and spend time with certain breeds that you think you may be interested in.

luvofallhorses
10-21-2006, 08:05 PM
why not adopt? I am sure you could find all three of those breeds at shelters. :)

Muddy4paws
10-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Your spelling of Dachshund (pronounced Dox-hund in most areas) could be part of your problem with finding a reputable breeder, but you're right, they are hard to find. I'm not in the UK, so I don't know of any breeders that I'd recommend over there but if you'd like, I could try to find a couple for you. If you were to get a Dachsie, which coat type would you like (wire, longhaired, or smooth)? and what size (miniature or standard)?

You could join Dogsey (http://www.dogsey.com/dog-forums.php). They're a UK dog messageboard and there are some people on there with Dachshunds. Perhaps they could point you in the right direction. :)

Good luck! I can't help you at all with the other breeds as I know next to nothing about them.

Thanks, I knew the spelling didnt look right, I typed it in google and thats they was they spelt it :o I'm not in any rush to get a dog, Im looking for the future really, possibly a present for my mum for xmas, I would discuss it with her before of course, I played a trick on her the other day about putting a deposit on a puppy and she was pretending to be mad but the smile said it all :p If I was to get a Dachshund I would want a smooth coat black and tan either, I dont think I would mind if they were a mini or not.

MajesticCollies Whoa whoa whoa, If you are "shopping" for a purebred, don't shop the internet, Go to a dog show. Look on the internet for your local Kennel club and they will list the upcoming shows. Each show will have a book of all the entries and the breeders. Talk to them there. But.... Wait for thier show to be over cause they are so busy preparing they hate to be disturbed. You find out many interesting things about local breeders at shows. Go to more than one show.

Im really just looking into the background and history to be honest not actually searching for a dog online, Im going to discover dogs this year its a show like crufts and Im going to crufts again next year so I will have plenty of info from real breeders there, Im just searching tonight because I need a puppy fix :p :D

luvofallhorses why not adopt? I am sure you could find all three of those breeds at shelters.

We have tried twice to get an adopted dog but each time we show an interest its like the shelter cant be bothered to help, I know they are busy but we kept phoning about a dog and they kept saying they would call back and after 3 weeks we decided to look elsewhere unfortunatly it was a BYB but I didnt know better back then and I was only a child so I didnt really have much say about that, still I wouldnt change that I love my lab!

lwds
10-22-2006, 10:35 AM
possibly a present for my mum for xmas, I would discuss it with her before of course, I played a trick on her the other day about putting a deposit on a puppy and she was pretending to be mad but the smile said it all :p

Please don't just discuss it with her - but have her talk to the breeder to see which puppy would be the best match for her (and if you were to go to a responsible breeder, they would ask to talk to her).

We have tried twice to get an adopted dog but each time we show an interest its like the shelter cant be bothered to help, I know they are busy but we kept phoning about a dog and they kept saying they would call back and after 3 weeks we decided to look elsewhere unfortunatly it was a BYB but I didnt know better back then and I was only a child so I didnt really have much say about that, still I wouldnt change that I love my lab!

You can't just call the shelter, you need to GO to the shelter. I wouldn't rely on a shelter calling me back.

If you want to adopt instead of buy, a breed club is still worth contacting. Almost all do rescue in one way or another.

Muddy4paws
10-22-2006, 01:26 PM
I would take her with me to choose. I wouldnt just get one.

the whole of my family including the dog went to the shelter at least 4 times both days over 2 week ends we saw the dog we wanted on the first time we went there

trezurdelites
10-22-2006, 02:04 PM
there are THOUSANDS of dogs and cats killed daily nationwide....

many are purebreeds....

OP.....if you havent had good experiences with your local shelter..
I can guarantee you, if you post your general area...
I can find a list of rescue groups with NUMEROUS TOO MANY dogbabies for adoption....

please save a life and adopt....

trezurdelites
10-22-2006, 02:05 PM
there are THOUSANDS of dogs and cats killed daily nationwide....

many are purebreeds....

I can find a list of rescue groups with NUMEROUS TOO MANY dogbabies for adoption....

please save a life and adopt....

"We have tried twice to get an adopted dog but each time we show an interest its like the shelter cant be bothered to help, I know they are busy but we kept phoning about a dog and they kept saying they would call back and after 3 weeks we decided to look elsewhere unfortunatly it was a BYB but I didnt know better back then and I was only a child so I didnt really have much say about that, still I wouldnt change that I love my lab!"

lwds
10-22-2006, 02:11 PM
I would take her with me to choose. I wouldnt just get one.

fwiw, no good breeder will let you choose the puppy. They choose. They are the ones who have spent weeks with the litter, and will know which would be the best match. That is why your mom needs to be involved throughout the entire process.

the whole of my family including the dog went to the shelter at least 4 times both days over 2 week ends we saw the dog we wanted on the first time we went there

I'm confused. Did you fill out an adoption application?

lwds
10-22-2006, 02:18 PM

Her location is in her profile...

"UK London" where her number of posts are. Other than that, clueless.

http://www.animalrescuers.co.uk/index.html

Have you found clubs? Whether you want to adopt or buy, I still recommend getting in touch with one.

Muddy4paws
10-22-2006, 04:34 PM
Why are people sounding angry at me? :confused:

Im not rushing out to buy a dog and if I did get a dog for my mum she would be 100% involved.

I only mentioned I MAY be getting a dog I never said I was going to rush out and buy one, Im doing my research maybe the animal shelters are different where you are.

I worked with a man about a year ago who worked in a popular shelter around here and he said that its very rarely a dog is given out to a new home because the staff want drama, He was saying they were afraid they would run out of dogs etc.

He also told me that the staff refused to rehome a older springer to a lady who might I add had plenty of year experience just because she had her girlfriend with her. Dont take this as a stupid rumour he was very high up in the shelter and thats exact reason was why he left it all got too much for him.

I DO want to help the homeless dogs but with people like that what am I meant to do? they dont deserve that job so please dont judge me unless you hear me out before Im sick to death of people assuming they know every situation :(

Sorry, Im just fed up of people thinking im trying to be awkward. Thanks for the link I'll look into it

lwds
10-22-2006, 05:26 PM
^ I haven't heard that they want drama, but I do know that problems over there are different than ours in the US.

Muddy4paws
10-23-2006, 05:34 PM
OK well thanks for replying everyone I will look by myself from now on :)

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-23-2006, 05:37 PM
Muddypaws (sorry, I don't know your real name..), I don't think anyone was trying to offend you or anything. A lot of people here are just pro rescue and will try to push people towards adoption instead of buying from a breeder. They don't mean anything by it (as far as I can tell). :)

IRescue452
10-23-2006, 05:40 PM
craigSlist has adoptable dogs and you don't have to go through the hurdles of a shelter. *edit*: I don't see many dogs in your area, but you could advertise for one for free. As for websites, its up to you to find out whether the breeder is reputable or not, as breed clubs usually will list any and all sites regardless of whether the breeder is reputable.

Muddy4paws
10-23-2006, 05:48 PM
Muddypaws (sorry, I don't know your real name..), I don't think anyone was trying to offend you or anything. A lot of people here are just pro rescue and will try to push people towards adoption instead of buying from a breeder. They don't mean anything by it (as far as I can tell). :)

I'm going to Pm you.

Thanks IRESCUE452 - I think they are USA sites, You have helped me alot with other things though, so thanks again for that. :)

I just get so angry at people preaching about getting a dog from a shelter, YES I know there is a huge problem with dogs needing homes but if they are not willing to help out what else can I do?! Im going to stop posting all together soon and come back when things get back to normal. This place is changing so much you used to be able to post here and get responses that didnt include trying to make you feel bad.

If I want to get a puppy who is anyone else to say I shouldn't? It should be up to me where and when I get it without having ME look bad. Yes animals get killed everyday and Yes its very upsetting but I know that and I dont need it rubbed in my face.

Thank you everyone who have posted what I've asked for you have been a big help :)

My Peanuts
10-23-2006, 06:52 PM
I have a Pug. A black girl. She is GREAT! Such a clown. She is the figurehead leader of my pack. Harley is the REAL leader, but Syl thinks she is!

I can't help with finding good breeders though. I bought Sylvia from a pet store before I knew better. All my boys, which came after Syl were (1 Harley) adopted from a shelter, (2 Morty) adopted from a foster mom, and (3 Jimmy) rescued.

Just wanted to tell you I have a Puggie! :D

Good luck on finding a good breeder for which ever breed you decide to get. It's so good to hear when people do their research :D. Going to a reputable breeder is the next best thing to adoption.

angelbow20
10-23-2006, 07:13 PM
I understand that shelters have dogs that need homes, but what happens to all the puppies that breeders and pet stores have? they all need homes also, i have read sites about puppmills and petstores who put those puppies to sleep also and abuse them so i dont think theres anything wrong with buying from a breed i have 2 dogs from a breeder and 2 from shelters and go for what go for because i love all my dogs the same, and i feel i saved all there lives anyway.

lwds
10-23-2006, 09:02 PM
I understand that shelters have dogs that need homes, but what happens to all the puppies that breeders and pet stores have? they all need homes also, i have read sites about puppmills and petstores who put those puppies to sleep also and abuse them so i dont think theres anything wrong with buying from a breed i have 2 dogs from a breeder and 2 from shelters and go for what go for because i love all my dogs the same, and i feel i saved all there lives anyway.

I have no problem with someone buying from a reputable, responsible, and ethical breeder. I do, and my next show bitch will come from one. I also rescue, and so does most responsible breeders in some way.

BUT, I do have problems with someone buying from a BYB, pet store, or miller. Why? Because they breed and/or sell for profit, the dogs are nothing but income for them. Buy a dog from them, that supports them.

Say I go into a store and buy a maltipoocockawhatever, what do you think the store will do next? Probably buy another maltipoocockawhatever or another demanding breed to fill the cage. Ongoing cycle... there's a need for these places because people buy the dogs.

BUT, what would happen if no one would purchase puppies from irresponsible sources (thinking big here)? Those BYBs, millers, and stores would probably go away because there's no need. What's the point? There's nothing in it for them anymore. Same thing when grocery stores stop selling products, it's not profitable anymore or there's little demand for it. That's why it's so important NOT to support them.

You might "save" a dog's life, but I pity the puppy that would take it's place. I pity the parents even more.

angelbow20
10-23-2006, 09:41 PM
I do understand what your point is also, but i just feel that people should'nt get looked down on for buying from a breeder sometimes also, and not a shelter, of course i feel horrible for shelter dogs also but i just think its ok to buy from breeders also, anyone thats selling or getting rid of a healthy loving puppy to a good home is fine with me, i never would agree with any kind of mill or anywhere where the puppies or adult dogs were getting abused in anyway i feel they should have law to shut them down. Although theres so many mills in Lancaster Pa which is about 2 hrs away from where i live with hundreds or thousands of poor puppies and adult dogs being mistreated and are'nt even getting shut down for it!

lwds
10-23-2006, 09:49 PM
I do understand what your point is also, but i just feel that people should'nt get looked down on for buying from a breeder sometimes also, and not a shelter, of course i feel horrible for shelter dogs also but i just think its ok to buy from breeders also, anyone thats selling or getting rid of a healthy loving puppy to a good home is fine with me, i never would agree with any kind of mill or anywhere where the puppies or adult dogs were getting abused in anyway i feel they should have law to shut them down. Although theres so many mills in Lancaster Pa which is about 2 hrs away from where i live with hundreds or thousands of poor puppies and adult dogs being mistreated and are'nt even getting shut down for it!

I don't understand you. Who's looking down on people for purchasing from a breeder?

I would not look down on someone who purchases from a good breeder, and I wouldn't look down on someone buying a puppy from an irresponsible source so long as they don't know any better. But people who do know better and still support them, I have big problems with.

So do you or don't you think it's right to buy from pet stores? Your posts are saying two different things the way I'm reading (see bold).

angelbow20
10-23-2006, 10:15 PM
i dont agree with pet stores but i feel for the puppies and read that those puppies get put to sleep sometimes if nobody is willing to buy them, so what i was trying to say is it doesnt have to be a shelter dog to get put to sleep.

lwds
10-23-2006, 10:24 PM
i dont agree with pet stores but i feel for the puppies and read that those puppies get put to sleep sometimes if nobody is willing to buy them, so what i was trying to say is it doesnt have to be a shelter dog to get put to sleep.

I see.

Dogs will suffer and die no matter what, because there are too few homes and way too many born. It's a sad fact. That's why it's so important for people to look into where their pets are coming from...

borzoimom
10-23-2006, 10:36 PM

I know very few breeders who have websites, their dogs are mainly sold through word of mouth (and the ones that do have one, rarely have puppy/litter info). That's the experience I have with my breed, though.
Mine too... The breed rescue is also a good place to contact. The reason- if you did your homework and say you were looking into so in so kennel, listen for their response. While they may not tell you know, if they say things like - well thus and such has a litter or whatcha ma call it does- take it as a sign. Also check your breeder out. Call the rescue of the breed you want and ask them questions like does so in so support their puppies, do you know if there are problems at the kennel that was reported to you .. etc. Also- go to a show- watch the names that are showing. Some people say well I dont want a high priced dog- but the fact is, the winners are people dedicated to the breed, have done genertic and medical testings on the parent etc and know the ropes.
A few hundred dollars more, and having a healthy puppy that lives a long full life with few if any health problems is better for the dog and for your heart as well..

borzoimom
10-23-2006, 10:38 PM
And I have a website but not for puppies- I have it because I love my breed and my babies.. www.beckonridgeborzoi.com