PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it...

catnapper
10-21-2006, 08:44 AM
One of my favorite students came to class late yesterday. She ran in flustered saying how she almost didn't come in at all, that it was the worst day ever. She had her hands bandaged up and what wasn't bandaged looked like she met up with a savage beast. Since she was there for a private class, I had time to ask what what happened. She explained that her standard poodles and her cats never got along. The poodles are littermates and 10 months old. They did GREAT in class but never quite got the hang of leaving those poor kitties alone. So they decided to have the cats live in the basement, which was no hardship for them. The family owns one of the area's largest contracting businesses and their basement was finished as a game/family room.

Anyhow, somehow both poodles got to the basement that morning. Rocky had hold of the oldest cat (13 years) and wouldn't let go. It took the father (a 300 pound man) actually laying on top of Rocky before he released the cat. In the process the cat bit my student several times rather badly, but she did not go to the hospital. Where did she go yesterday instead of taking herself to the hospital? To the vet to put both cats to sleep! :eek: :mad: Before you ask, even though Rocky got hold of the oldest cat, there were no serious or life threatening injuries. He basically just had the cat's tail. The 6 year old cat was swatting and trying to beat off the other dog (and winning)

I was floored and couldn't say anything. Being that she is my student and I'm being paid by her, I couldn't tell her how sick I was that she did that. She didn't even try to rehome them! She knows I do cat rescue, why not bring them to me? I am so sad about this whole thing, and all I could do was commiserate and focus on her injuries and advise to go to her doctor today. I felt like such a liar because I wanted to be telling her off, instead because of our business relationship I had to be polite and swallow my own adversion to this whole incident. :(

Freedom
10-21-2006, 09:00 AM
Oh Gosh! I could never have held back, I would have said something, probably blurted it out without any tact. I would definitely remind her you do rescue and that you do not approve of what they did.

AbbyMom
10-21-2006, 09:19 AM
I know exactly how you feel, Kim. One of my coworkers, a fellow team member, had her two cats PTS because of hairballs. Hairballs! She was too lazy to brush them or give them hairball meds or food. One of them slept on her pillow at night. Or at least used to.

Nor did she ask anyone for help or to adopt them.

But I had to work with this person every day. She sat next to me. Otherwise, I would have called her a friend. I did start avoiding her after she told me.

I was so glad when she quit and I could stop beng a hypocrite.

I bet, Kim, that you are a reflexively nice person and it's hard to act out of character even if the recipient deserves it.

Laura's Babies
10-21-2006, 10:47 AM
I probably would have started crying right in front of her and could not have held my tongue. That is just TO shocking!

Pembroke_Corgi
10-21-2006, 11:03 AM
That is so sad. :( You also have to wonder what kind of a vet would put two healthy cats to sleep just because they didn't fit in with the new dogs.

I know how hard that must have been, but I think you did the right thing for your career. Maybe you could gently say you would have taken them to a shelter instead and leave it at that...in a business where you have to have interaction with people all the time you need to have a good relationship with your clients. I feel so sorry for those cats. I wouldn't feel the same about that woman either. Just try to help her train her dogs, and eventually you won't have to see her anymore!

Ginger's Mom
10-21-2006, 11:38 AM
That is so sad. :( You also have to wonder what kind of a vet would put two healthy cats to sleep just because they didn't fit in with the new dogs.!
You know, Jill, that is a very good point. I have chatted with a vet nurse on another forum and she is always taking home dogs and cats that people bring in to have put down for no good reason.

lizbud
10-21-2006, 12:09 PM
Pretty sad comentary on the worth of animals amoung some people. :(

My Vet wouldn't put any pet down if it was healthy otherwise.I overheard
a man's conversation with a Vet tech one day. He came in for a refill for
pain pills for his overweight dog. He said he wanted to put the dog down
when these pills ran out because the dog wasn't losing weight & the weight
was causing the dog pain when walking. I couldn't believe he said that. :mad: The Vet tech just mumbleld something like we'll wait & see.
I think she was as shocked as I was.

Pam
10-21-2006, 12:13 PM
Oh boy this is so sad! I can imagine you biting your tongue - probably until it bled! My ears perked up when you mentioned standard poodles and I have to say that, although I have never had a cat/dog problem with any of my poodles, (thankfully my cats/dogs co-exist very well) I have read on another forum where a woman has a standard with a high prey drive. That is not the crux of the problem though. It is the mentality of the pet owner. How could she do this knowing that you were involved in rescue work? :confused: Sometimes people's thinking processes (or lack of it) amazes me. :( I was in PetsMart one day and there was a beautiful Persian in the cage. The card on the outside of the cage said "my people bought a dog who does not like me." My first thought was......"who was there first?"...is there no loyalty to the *first pet* and no other way to solve the problem? :( *sigh*

Vela
10-21-2006, 12:53 PM
That's sad! I would have a hard time holding my tongue as well. Poor kitties=(

caseysmom
10-21-2006, 01:38 PM
Maybe the vet took the cats and gave them to rescue. I know vets who do this when dumb *ss owners bring perfectly healthy cats in to be euthanized.

Randi
10-21-2006, 03:07 PM
What a sad thing to happen - poor kitties! :( It would have been really hard not to say anything for me, but I do understand that you didn't. Perhaps in the future you can teach her a few things about cats.

jenluckenbach
10-21-2006, 03:55 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Now, let's get the story straight (I say as I bang my head upon the wall), the dog was attacking the cat, wishing to do it serious harm, and the CATS get put to death!?!?! :mad: :mad: Oh yeah! THAT makes sense. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

(I know how difficult it is to "hold your tongue". I've been there, done that! )

moosmom
10-21-2006, 04:37 PM
:eek: :eek:

Kim, I am speechless. What kind of cold hearted #@$%^&!* would kill 2 cats simply because the dog went after them. :confused:

RIP sweet kitties. At least now you can run and play free at the Bridge.

cyber-sibes
10-21-2006, 05:26 PM
You probably didn't say anything out of shock! :eek:
You did the right thing professionally, after all, she wasn't asking for your advice, but I felt sick just reading about it, too. It may have been her parents that made the PTS decision, but it sure sounds short-sighted and spur of the moment. Sad situation all around. :(

krazyaboutkatz
10-21-2006, 06:02 PM
This is so sad.:( I would have also been in shock but I don't think that I'd be able to bite my tongue and not say anything about it. I sure hope that this woman won't ever adopt any cats ever again.:mad:

Daisy and Delilah
10-21-2006, 06:19 PM
This story is so incredibly sad, Kim. I also can understand why you had to treat it as you did. I think the "open mouth insert foot" reflex I sometimes have would have prevented me from being so nice. If this lady is a valued student, perhaps you can wait until her pups graduate and let her have it!! I'll say it again and again, what is wrong with people today??? When will people learn more about animals and quit using them as disposable objects? Grrrrrrr!!!!!! :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad:

luvofallhorses
10-21-2006, 07:15 PM
you're right she could have rehomed them not put them to sleep. rest in peace sweet kitties. :(

At least now you can run and play without the threat of ]dumb dogs or their idiotic IRRESPONSIBLE owners. :(

I am sorry but your comment upsets me. the dogs are not dumb, the owners ARE! NOT the dogs!

Pam
10-21-2006, 07:16 PM
I am sorry but your comment upsets me. the dogs are not dumb, the owners ARE!

Agreed.

chocolatepuppy
10-21-2006, 08:17 PM
Kim, I'm sorry you had to deal with this, I'm sure it is very upsetting to you. May the sweet kittys rest in peace. :(

buttercup132
10-21-2006, 09:11 PM
play without the threat of dumb dogs

This a a very sad situation and just because you have cats dosent mean that you should should make fun of the whole species of dog!!!:mad: This isnt the first time youve made a insult like that either. If you dont like dogs then fine , but keep it to yourself noone else wants to hear your nasty comments. I know if someone said that about a cat YOU would flip out and lash out at them. Stay on the cat side if you dont like other animals...:rolleyes:

Those people shouldnt own animals if they are going to do that. This whole situation confuses me.Why do the innocent ones get put down. (Not saying that the dogs should be put down) but if its that big a deal why cant you take the time to rehome them , not nice to say but it also would have saved them money wich is something everyone thrives to keep in this day and age.

jazzcat
10-21-2006, 09:21 PM
Maybe the vet took the cats and gave them to rescue. I know vets who do this when dumb *ss owners bring perfectly healthy cats in to be euthanized.
That was the first thing that popped in my mind too. I've heard of it happening before so I hope it did this time. Poor cats.

:(

tikeyas_mom
10-21-2006, 11:10 PM
I was floored and couldn't say anything. Being that she is my student and I'm being paid by her, I couldn't tell her how sick I was that she did that. She didn't even try to rehome them! She knows I do cat rescue, why not bring them to me? I am so sad about this whole thing, and all I could do was commiserate and focus on her injuries and advise to go to her doctor today. I felt like such a liar because I wanted to be telling her off, instead because of our business relationship I had to be polite and swallow my own adversion to this whole incident.

maybe she didnt want to rehome them.. since you did say she had the cat for 13 years!!! she probably loved her cats VERY much and couldnt bare to part with them... I could understand her side and yours.. It must have been horrid for her to go through all this.. Im glad you stayed professional.

Catty1
10-22-2006, 03:09 AM
Is there a way to find out if they need rehoming - if the vet made them go *poof* in a good way? I bet she didn't stick around to be with the cats at the vet's.

Oh God, I hope the vet was one of those....what a STUPID SILLY DITZ!

I hope SHE gets spayed! :mad:

buttercup132
10-22-2006, 08:50 AM
maybe she didnt want to rehome them.. since you did say she had the cat for 13 years!!! she probably loved her cats VERY much and couldnt bare to part with them... I could understand her side and yours.. It must have been horrid for her to go through all this.. Im glad you stayed professional.Hmmm thats a good point too.
I know my grandma said that when she dies if her cats are still around (even if they are perfectly fine) she wants them put to sleep because she thinks noone can care for them and know there needs like she dose.

I dont agree with her wish and I doubt that it will happen , but I guess some people think that noone can give them the attention/love they give them

Pembroke_Corgi
10-22-2006, 10:06 AM
maybe she didnt want to rehome them.. since you did say she had the cat for 13 years!!! she probably loved her cats VERY much and couldnt bare to part with them... I could understand her side and yours.. It must have been horrid for her to go through all this.. Im glad you stayed professional.
:confused: I'm sorry, but I don't understand why it would make sense to KILL your pets rather than rehome them. Yes, that definately shows a lot of love. :rolleyes:

Zippy
10-22-2006, 10:38 AM
What upsets me the most is there "new pets" came before there cats that they have had for years. :(

wolfsoul
10-22-2006, 08:34 PM
I know several people that are still under the impression that once an animal bites you, it craves the taste of blood. Perhaps they felt that they needed to put the cats to sleep in order to keep them from hurting people. I know alot of people that would put their animals down before giving them to someone else. I, personally, wouldn't do it, but I understand that everyone feels that no one else can give their pets as good a home as they -- and I understand even more the thought of someone else owning my pets.

People will do what they'll do, whether it's right or wrong. The animals are in a better place, that's what counts.

I also agree that the dogs weren't dumb --- dogs are dogs. They chase cats. They catch cats. They don't know better.