PDA

View Full Version : How can there be SO many? :(

jenluckenbach
10-20-2006, 08:14 PM
So many homeless cats. :(

I sit and scan petfinder for hours on end.

Tonight I did a pet serch for senior male cats. The pages went on and on and on........................

It is overwhelming.

It makes me hug my kitties all the tighter. And makes me want just one more.

No point to this thread, really, just sharing a feeling I know most of you share.

Freedom
10-20-2006, 08:37 PM
I have to stay away from that site, and the pet columns in the newspapers, and the adoption booths at PetsMart and . . . . I either get one or end up crying. So I know that overwhelming feeling, the problem is just so big, what more can I do!

OK, I will tell a little secret. My Dad turns 80 next month. I am having a surprise birthday party for him, this Sunday. So far, he doesn't know a THING! Rented a Hall, hired a caterer, cake will have the Home Depot theme. Invitations went out with RSVPs, we will be about 30 people. (One problem with this age: all your peers - friends and family BOTH - have either died or are home bound, recuperating from surgery, or some other such thing! ) The party is up here in the area of Dad's house, where I grew up and where all his family is. Massachusetts. Methuen. Location of the Nevins Center and Equine Retirement Home of the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. aka MSPCA.

This paragraph was included in the Invitation:
HELP THE MSPCA!
If you would like, bring something for the dogs and cats at the Methuen MSPCA. They can always use clean old blankets, towels, sheets, to line the cages and kennels. Or bring treats, toys, food (dry or canned), collar, harness, leash, pillow, bedding of any sort. Dad (and I) will take it ALL (none of it goes to our cats) in to the MSPCA the day after the party. I will have a collection box for whatever you chose to bring in. This is optional.

I had lots of phone calls about this, and had to check a few things with the MSPCA. Boy, are we going to have a LOT of things to haul over there!!!

Cheer up Jen, we all struggle with that feeling now and then. Please cheer up, your furbabies need you!

critter crazy
10-20-2006, 08:47 PM
I have to stay away from that site, and the pet columns in the newspapers, and the adoption booths at PetsMart and . . . . I either get one or end up crying. So I know that overwhelming feeling, the problem is just so big, what more can I do!

OK, I will tell a little secret. My Dad turns 80 next month. I am having a surprise birthday party for him, this Sunday. So far, he doesn't know a THING! Rented a Hall, hired a caterer, cake will have the Home Depot theme. Invitations went out with RSVPs, we will be about 30 people. (One problem with this age: all your peers - friends and family BOTH - have either died or are home bound, recuperating from surgery, or some other such thing! ) The party is up here in the area of Dad's house, where I grew up and where all his family is. Massachusetts. Methuen. Location of the Nevins Center and Equine Retirement Home of the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. aka MSPCA.

This paragraph was included in the Invitation:
HELP THE MSPCA!
If you would like, bring something for the dogs and cats at the Methuen MSPCA. They can always use clean old blankets, towels, sheets, to line the cages and kennels. Or bring treats, toys, food (dry or canned), collar, harness, leash, pillow, bedding of any sort. Dad (and I) will take it ALL (none of it goes to our cats) in to the MSPCA the day after the party. I will have a collection box for whatever you chose to bring in. This is optional.

I had lots of phone calls about this, and had to check a few things with the MSPCA. Boy, are we going to have a LOT of things to haul over there!!!

Cheer up Jen, we all struggle with that feeling now and then. Please cheer up, your furbabies need you!

That is the coolest thing I have ever heard of!! You know next year I am Throwng a huge suprise B-day party for my hubby's 40th! I think I will do the exact same thing! that is the coolest Idea ever!

I too have to stay away from Petfinder! It breaks my heart because i know that I cannot help them all! I wish I could but, there is just no way! The thing that gets me, is I constantly get bombarded by strays, and such that I cant even adopt from petfinder, cause I always have my hands full. If there are so many strays, and needy animals just running loose around my house, think about how many pets never get to see Petfinder! So in theory petfinder, has only a fraction of the animals that tuly need homes! now that thought is overwhelming!!!!!:(

K & L
10-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Boy how we can relate to this saddness. It never ceases to amaze me the cats that are dumped at the park and the never ending trapping of ferals. It's all so sad so we all just help where we can and the best we can.

Laura's Babies
10-20-2006, 09:42 PM
The world is so full of homeless animals that is is extreemly sad and heartbreaking. That is a sore subject to all of us who love them so and so is breeding even more unwanted and homeless. We just have to preach LOUDLY to everyone who will listen to S & N ALL pets!

kimlovescats
10-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Jen, I do the same thing. I read and cry and get angry and cry more! :( I want so badly to save them all, to adopt all of the senior kitties, or special needs kitties, or any that have just been sitting and waiting for a long time. It literally breaks my heart!!!!! :( :( :(

Freedom: I am amazed at your plans for your Dad's party ... how absolutely beautiful of you to do this!!!! :D

Grace
10-20-2006, 10:26 PM
I know exactly what you mean. I go to Petfinder, or any other pet site and it breaks my heart. Hey, just living here breaks my heart.

We just recently adopted Charley, a stray - he doesn't know yet that he belongs to us, but that will come with time. Then there is Trouble - he has a family, a few streets over. They also have a big dog - and Trouble (real name Strudel) doesn't like the dog, so he has set up housekeeping on our back porch. He is the sweetiest thing, with such expressive eyes. His family knows he is here - we frequently take him home, and within 2 hours he is back. I guess they just don't care.

CultureJunky
10-21-2006, 06:11 AM
I also get upset when I read about the homeless cats and other animals. But what can we do, there are so many and so little of us, and so many idiots out there that let their cats get pregnant and contribute to the stray population.
Sandra, you are SO cool! That is a great idea for your dad's birthday party.
It's going to be great!

orangemm
10-21-2006, 07:37 AM
That is a great idea! Face it, most people have too much 'stuff' anyway (I know WE do) and this is a wonderful and caring way to reach out to these unfortunate animals.

Next time we have any kind of party or gathering, I'm going to do this.

Freedom
10-21-2006, 08:50 AM
Critter Crazy (and others) -I am glad you liked the idea. If / when you do this, you may want to check with your designated pet charity first, see if they have a wish list. I didn't check with the MSPCA before hand, found out afterwards. My cousin's twins both graduated college and are now out on their own. She has lots of stuffed animals and called to ask if she could give those, and did she have to take off the eyes? When I checked with the MSPCA, they said they love stuffed animals, no need to remove anything, and they gave me their wish list. Stuffed animals are on there, I could have put those on the list, and a few other things I could have added. (I would not have put the new Cannon AS70 camera on my invitations, ha ha.) But you can give folks mosre ideas if you have their wish list in front of you.

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-21-2006, 09:27 AM
I know exactly what you mean .... :( ! I love to go to our petshop, and everytime I pray "please let there be NO kitties available...."
Whenever I see a cat walking freely, I keep going back to see if she/he is still there, and hoping she is not an "unwanted' cat.... :( :( :(

catmandu
10-21-2006, 09:30 AM
Because The Last Generation Is Basically One Who Do Not Take Responsibilty For Thier Pets.
And Since They No Longer Have Thier Parents To Pick Up After Them, The Animals Suffer.
There Are So Many Pets Put Down, Millions Every Year.
Maybe We Should Put A Few Idiots Down First.

moosmom
10-21-2006, 04:53 PM
I used to go to the Humane Society just to check out the kitties. I just can't do it anymore. :( When I read the excuses people give for dumping their pets, I get VERY angry and depressed that I can't offer them a home (maybe once I move into my new place I'll be able to adopt an older cat). It breaks my heart.

For my 54th birthday, I'm going to ask anyone who insists on getting me something, to donate the money they would've spent to an animal shelter.