PDA

View Full Version : I think Buck has a blockage - HE'S HOME!!! *Pictures on pg 5*

.sarah
10-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Good thoughts would be appreciated that he will be able to pass it, throw it up, or that it's not a blockage. I really am nervous that he's going to need surgery. He's got a vet appointment in about an hour.

Nova has had two blockages before and all of his signs are like what she's had ... vomiting up bile numerous times, lethargy, just in general feeling crappy.

Ginger's Mom
10-20-2006, 11:42 AM
Sorry to hear that .sarah. Good thoughts going out for Buck and you.

luvofallhorses
10-20-2006, 11:45 AM
poor Buck! :( I will hope and pray he'll be okay. (((Buck))) please keep us updated.

Glacier
10-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Good luck. Hope Buck is back to normal soon.

Don't beat yourself about leaving stuff around. You can't pick up everything all the time! Dogs will eat the strangest things! A friend of mine just had one of her dogs spend several days at the vet--same symptoms as Buck. Turned out he had eaten a sock!! He went home yesterday and should be fine.

Vela
10-20-2006, 11:48 AM
I hope it turns out to be nothing! Let us know. Prayers for him that he's fine. Cracker ate a pincusion once when he was 9 months old, the kids had left it down and he thought it was a ball. He swallowed several pins. He was able to pass them all though, after being fed cotton balls, and the vets didn't find anything on x-rays. I'm sure Buck will be okay, it's not your fault, if he did get something it was an accident.

Karen
10-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Poor Buck, hope he can pass whatever it is without needing Sir Jury!

cloverfdx
10-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Good vibes on the way for Buck, i hope it turns out not too serious sarah {{Hugs}}.

Jadapit
10-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Poor guy! I hope everything goes ok with him. You both will be in my thoughts and prayers. (((Hugs)))

Queen of Poop
10-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Prayers for you and Buck.

Doggies sometimes have to try out new things, that are not always good for them. My girls got into the kids crayons several years ago and pooped technicolor for a week, no harm done. My Sasha ate the eyes and nose from a stuffed bear at Christmas time one year. I was rather amused when I was cleaning up the yard and found an eye looking at me. The kids dog at their moms house ate a set of dice and had to have surgery to remove them.

I am sure that Buck will be just fine.

.sarah
10-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Don't beat yourself about leaving stuff around. You can't pick up everything all the time! Dogs will eat the strangest things! A friend of mine just had one of her dogs spend several days at the vet--same symptoms as Buck. Turned out he had eaten a sock!! He went home yesterday and should be fine.
Nova had eaten a sock 6 or so months ago and she ended up vomiting it up. I hope Buck can do the same. Dogs really do eat the strangest things.

Thanks for the good thoughts. We're getting ready to leave in a minute, I'll update as soon as I can.

Danegirl2208
10-20-2006, 01:10 PM
oh, Poor boy! :( Hope all turns out well..prayers and hugs to you and Buck, Sarah.

ramanth
10-20-2006, 01:13 PM
I hope Buck will be okay!

pitc9
10-20-2006, 01:33 PM
It's so hard being so helpless when we love them so much!
{{hugs}} to you and Buck, I hope he's feeling better soon!

Pembroke_Corgi
10-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Hope everything is ok! :(

.sarah
10-20-2006, 01:53 PM
Buck is in surgery. They let me feel his stomach, and it was obvious that pushing on it was painful to him. They took xrays and couldn't tell what it was. They're going to call when they have found it, and I can go back to visit around 5:30 (it's almost 3:00 now). He has to stay overnight at least, and if there is a blockage, maybe even a few days to a week. Please keep him in your thoughts, I'm very worried about him.

Danegirl2208
10-20-2006, 02:00 PM
omg, Sarah..prayers and good thoughts coming your way for a successful surgery..poor Buck :( :( :(

Flatcoatluver
10-20-2006, 02:01 PM
Oh My! I am so sorry your going through this. Prayers for Buck and you.

Cataholic
10-20-2006, 02:03 PM
So sorry to hear about Buck. Prayers that he comes through all this with flying colours!

Daisy and Delilah
10-20-2006, 02:04 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this Sarah!! Please get better soon Buck :( :( :( You'll all be in my thoughts and prayers :(

.sarah
10-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Thank you all. I'm a mess here waiting for the vet to call and tell me what's going on.

Jadapit
10-20-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm so sorry. You hang in there Buck will be ok.

Cookiebaker
10-20-2006, 02:54 PM
Sarah, we are gonna keep you and Buck wrapped tightly in our thoughts and prayers that everything is going to go just fine. I know how scary it is -- when Malone was a puppy, he ate 30 rocks :eek: but at the last minute he passed the last of them and avoided surgery. These hoover vaccuum cleaners called labs give us heart attacks when they decide to gulp something that doesn't belong to them! :eek:

I will keep checking back for updates!! {{HUGS}}

Queen of Poop
10-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Prayers said, all fingers, toes and paws crossed here.

Husky_mom
10-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Iīm sorry you are going through this, I bet itīs worrisome, but Iīll keep you both in my thoughts, canīt wait to hear heīs doing fine, and that whatever he ate it out for good............

poor buckeroo..........now listen mommy, and donīt take everything into your mouth......

Toby's my baby
10-20-2006, 03:08 PM
I am so sorry Sarah!! I hope everything is going well, I've got both of you in my prayers!

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-20-2006, 03:51 PM
I'm so sorry Sarah. :(

I hope Buck will be alright!

BC_MoM
10-20-2006, 03:53 PM
Oh no! Poor Buck! I'm so sorry, Sarah... :(

Buck will be in my prayers - hoping for a good surgery and a speedy recovery!

finn's mom
10-20-2006, 04:04 PM
:( I hope it's nothing that can't be removed with little discomfort. Poor Buck! Do you think it is something that happened with food? I do worry about that with the raw diet. :/ I'm crossing my fingers that he comes out of this with flying colors!

chocolatepuppy
10-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Pawsitive thoughts and prayers headed Bucks way. And a big {hug} for you Sarah.

Aspen and Misty
10-20-2006, 04:22 PM
Oh Sarah! I'm so sorry to hear of Bucks poor eating habits getting him into trouble :(

Please keep us updated on how he is doing!

Ashley

Pembroke_Corgi
10-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Oh no. But thank god you were able to recognize the signs and take him to the vet right away. I hope everything goes ok with the surgery. :(

k9krazee
10-20-2006, 05:02 PM
Oh no :( Good thoughts heading your way, Sarah!

.sarah
10-20-2006, 05:12 PM
A pig toe. I fed him and Luka whole pigs feet last Friday. Luka must not have eaten her hoof and left it in the yard and he found it yesterday because there's no way that the hoof would just now be digesting.

So it sat out in the hot sun for a week and dried up and then he ate it yesterday or the day before, is what I'm thinking.

Anyway, he's out of surgery. I went and saw him and I just broke down crying. He wasn't fully awake yet and could barely lift his head. He has a huge incision, 5 or 6 inches long, and 10 stitches. It's too soon to know if he'll be coming home tomorrow but I get to go see him and the doctor will tell me if he can or if he needs to stay. I want him home tonight. It breaks my heart knowing that he'll be all alone when he wakes up. They said that someone comes in to check on patients during the night, which I guess makes me feel a little better, but I'd rather have him here.

I feel like this whole thing is my fault. If I had just gone and checked to make sure Luka did eat the whole thing, this might not have happened. Oh well, I guess you live and learn. And the dogs won't be eating in the yard anymore so that I don't have to search for uneaten stuff. And no, there's no way I would blame or give up the raw diet, so if anyone who is thinking about raw is reading this - don't let it scare you. Accidents can happen with kibble too.

I do appreciate all of the good thoughts. Please keep them heading his way, he's got a painful week ahead of him.

caseysmom
10-20-2006, 05:22 PM
I am so glad he is doing okay. Its not your fault, this could have been anything he could have gotten a hold of. For gods sake he could catch a rodent in the yard or anything. I am surprised it didn't digest, it must have been really hard.

chocolatepuppy
10-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Thank goodness Buck is ok. He will be home soon Sarah. :)

zoomer
10-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Thank goodness that baby boy is doing all right. It's not your fault at all! It's nobody fault.

iamgobsmacked
10-20-2006, 05:50 PM
I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. I used to feed my Dobies raw. My female ended up with obstructions twice. Nearly $3,000.00 later I gave it up. In each case it was small bones from chicken that lodged and turned to cement. Took two surgeries, one to remove the bones, and a second to repair a hole in her stomach the second time it happened. She was in hospital on fluids and stomach lavage for over a week. I hope your baby does a little better.

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-20-2006, 06:15 PM
Don't feel like it's your fault, Sarah. It's not. Accidents happen! I'm glad he's out of surgery and doing ok. I'm sure he'll be back to his regular self in no time. :)

Ginger's Mom
10-20-2006, 06:27 PM
I am glad to hear that the surgery went well and that they were able to remove the blockage. It will be hard without the baby at home, but he will be well cared for at the vet's office, too. Grab the girls and give them extra hugs. And hopefully when you see Buck tomorrow that beautiful tail will be wagging again. :)
{{{Hugs}}}

wolfsoul
10-20-2006, 07:46 PM
I missed this! Poor Buck, I hope he heals quickly. :(

Alysser
10-20-2006, 08:00 PM
I can't believe I missed this thread! Buck, please feel better soon, poor baby! :(

KYS
10-20-2006, 08:06 PM
So glad Buck is doing ok.
Sending many good get well wishes your way.

Karen
10-20-2006, 08:14 PM
Poor Buck, but at least they found it, and removed it. Give him a big kiss on his big block head for me, okay?

finn's mom
10-20-2006, 08:33 PM
Accidents can happen with kibble too.

No joke. Think of all the dogs lost to bloat. :( And, it's not your fault, it's not something you would even look for. But, now this is going to make everyone who feeds a raw diet even more aware, just to make sure of things like that. I never would have thought of that, either! Heck, even if you don't feed raw, but, you feed rawhides or greenies, it might remind people to be careful and check for random things like that that might be eaten when they shouldn't be. He's all right, this is a lesson to be learned from, not a situation to blame yourself.

I'm glad he is going to be all right. I was really concerned. My thoughts are still with you and buck. Try to get some sleep, Buck will be as good as new before you know it, and, you'll need all your energy to play with him. ;)

cloverfdx
10-20-2006, 11:29 PM
Oh Sarah i have only just seen the update on Bucks surgery :(. Lots of positive healing vibes on the way, And {{Hugs}} for you.

K9karen
10-20-2006, 11:30 PM
Well, sweetie, at least the worst is over and Buck is in good hands right now. Luckily you were wise enough to catch the problem. You can never blame yourself, my goodness, if it smells rotten and it's edible, they'll eat it.

Once, after taking off my knee highs and throwing them on the bed, then going out of the room for a split second, I walked back in and saw RB Cody doing "Gulp". Yep, and there was only one knee high on the bed. I thought my heart stopped. Believe it or not, and I hope this will make you smile a little, a day later (after I kept a watchful eye on him) his poop was IN the knee high!!! My eyes were like saucers and I remember gaping for about 10 minutes in disbelief!

So, we both were lucky. Buck will be just fine. You have so many cuties to watch over. You may have to grow eyes behind your head! Try and have a good night sleep. Buck will be home soon in your loving arms. Hugs....Karen

bckrazy
10-21-2006, 12:30 AM
I'm sososo sorry, Sarah! :( this must be really hard for you & Buck. Our pups are not immortal, bad things can happen even if you do everything right. I'm so happy he's doing ok, I wish him the best for recovery. He's a strong young guy so he should recover well!

This totally does remind me to be extra careful with my boys, too.

cyber-sibes
10-21-2006, 12:33 AM
I'm so glad Buck is ok! How scarey! As others have said, dogs eat the strangest things. We'd only had Star for a few weeks and she ate a balloon the morning of my son's birthday party! poor little thing, we had to make her vomit, which thankfully she did. There it was - a bright red balloon.
Buck will be back home with you soon, the vet techs will take really good care of him for you. ;) ((hugs))

pitc9
10-21-2006, 07:25 AM
his poop was IN the knee high!!!

LMAO!! :D
Karen, I sure hope that did bring a smile to her face because I sure the hell know I'm laughing about it!

Sarah, I'm glad the worst is over and now all you have to do is make sure he heals up!
Hugs to you and Buck!

k9krazee
10-21-2006, 11:25 AM
Hows the Meester doing, Sarah?

CathyBogart
10-21-2006, 01:56 PM
Ah, Buck - I'm so glad you're okay! What a scary thing to have to stay with the white-coats! That pig toe must have been mighty tasty. :)

dappledoxie
10-21-2006, 02:21 PM
Oh my, poor Buck and I know how upset you must be. I'm glad to hear he's doing better and I hope he recovers quickly, he's got a great momma who loves him so much! I always worry about my pups eating toys, they tear them up so fast, I have the top of our fridge filled with toys needing surgery because I take them away when they get torn.

.sarah
10-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Thank you everyone! :) Y'all are awesome!

Buck is doing fantastic. I nearly burst into tears when I saw him this morning. He was bouncing around like nothing had happened!

He is still at the vet. This morning we stayed for 2 hours and went back again this afternoon for an hour. We're going back in the morning and tomorrow afternoon and then he can come home Monday if he keeps the food down. He had water this afternoon for the first time and he did great, and tomorrow morning he'll get his first taste of food. If there's no vomiting, he can come home Monday! :D

Toby's my baby
10-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Glad to hear everything is going great!! I hope he does good with his food so he can come back home!! I'm sure he misses you! :)

Pembroke_Corgi
10-21-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm so glad he's doing well. I hope he gets home Monday!

Danegirl2208
10-21-2006, 07:28 PM
whew! i am SO glad to hear hes doing well Sarah!

luvofallhorses
10-21-2006, 08:01 PM
I am so happy to hear he is doing well! :) give him a gentle hug for me, please. :)

ramanth
10-21-2006, 10:11 PM
Glad to hear he's recovering well. Poor guy.

pitc9
10-22-2006, 08:36 AM
Phew!! Glad to hear he's doing well!
Can't wait till you get him back home!

Kfamr
10-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Oh Sarah, I am so sorry! This is the first I've read this thread but I am so glad to see happy news. I worked all week and yesterday I worked a 12 hour shift, so I am just pooped!

Anyways, I'm so so so so happy to read GOOD news come out of this. :D

Give him a great big {{Gentle HUG}} from me, please!

.sarah
10-22-2006, 02:24 PM
Buck is home!!! I didn't post about it but we had a huge ordeal with the vet yesterday. I am NOT happy with this vet (it's not our vet, it's the other vet that works at the hospital and he had weekend duty this weekend. Our vet is the one who did the surgery). The vet wasn't going to let us see him over the weekend and was very rude about pretty much everything. The tech worked with us and has been letting us come in. Anyway, the tech met with the doctor last night and said he had a long talk with him and finally got him to agree to releasing Buck to us today as long as he kept his food down. I think I'm going to bake something for the tech and buy a bag of coal for the vet :D

Anyway, I'm just glad he is home. He is doing great. The tech actually seemed interested in raw feeding because he'd never seen a dog bounce back so quickly after such an invasive surgery. Buck is one healthy pup!
http://www.southernmutt.com/photos/102206/_MG_0913.jpg

Member me?
http://www.southernmutt.com/photos/102206/_MG_0919.jpg

Hi sister!
http://www.southernmutt.com/photos/102206/_MG_0918.jpg

On his new bed
http://www.southernmutt.com/photos/102206/_MG_0924.jpg

I've linked to the next one. It's a picture of his incision. Do not look if you are squeamish.
http://www.southernmutt.com/photos/102206/_MG_0921.jpg

cmayer31
10-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Glad to hear that Buck is home! He looks so happy to be there too. :)

luvofallhorses
10-22-2006, 04:19 PM
he looks like nothing happened to him! :D

binka_nugget
10-22-2006, 04:33 PM
He looks like one happy boy! Glad to hear you're doing so well Buck!

Toby's my baby
10-22-2006, 04:43 PM
Great pictures, Buck looks like his normal self! Glad he is doing so good! :)

Where did you get his bed from??

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-22-2006, 04:46 PM
Glad to hear he's doing so well! By looking at his pictures, you'd never know anything had happened to him. What a happy pup. :)

Pembroke_Corgi
10-22-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm happy to see that he is doing so well! :)

k9krazee
10-22-2006, 06:28 PM
Yay! Glad he's home and doing well!

Lady's Human
10-22-2006, 06:33 PM
Glad to see he's doing fine. :D

Just remember, don't kick yourself, Labs tend to be 4 legged vaccum cleaners, it's the nature of the goofus!

finn's mom
10-22-2006, 07:05 PM
He looks great! Thanks for updating. I'm sorry the vet was not nice to you. :/ But, glad that the tech made up for it.

chocolatepuppy
10-22-2006, 07:10 PM
Glad you're home Buck! :D

Lady's Human
10-22-2006, 07:28 PM
BTW, Sarah, Lady had the perfect solution for vets with attitudes.....

When we first adopted her, we took her to the shelter recommended vet for a checkup and shots. The Vet had me put her on the table, walked behind her without saying anything to the poor pup, and inserted a thermometer you-know-where.

Lady turned too quick for me to react, and nipped at the vet. I was told we'd have to muzzle her next time she came in, because she's dangerous. :rolleyes: (Lady's not the dangerous one, her human is) Never went back to that vet again, and they went out of business about a year later.

CathyBogart
10-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Yay Buck! I'm sure glad to see you home and looking so good! It's lucky your grouchy vet had such a nice tech working for him! Give him lotsa kisses next time you see him! :)

*LabLoverKEB*
10-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Awwww! Sarah I'm so glad that Buck is back to his happy, playful ole' self!

Alysser
10-22-2006, 08:06 PM
OMG! :eek: He's huge!!!!!!! :eek:

I'm so glad Buck is home and doing well. :) Welcome back, Buck! We missed you.

.sarah
10-22-2006, 08:50 PM
Thanks everyone! Buck is sleeping beside me right now. :) I think he's happy to be home! It's almost time to feed him again, I know he'll be thrilled about that ;)

Where did you get his bed from??
Petsmart :)

BTW, Sarah, Lady had the perfect solution for vets with attitudes.....

When we first adopted her, we took her to the shelter recommended vet for a checkup and shots. The Vet had me put her on the table, walked behind her without saying anything to the poor pup, and inserted a thermometer you-know-where.

Lady turned too quick for me to react, and nipped at the vet. I was told we'd have to muzzle her next time she came in, because she's dangerous. :rolleyes: (Lady's not the dangerous one, her human is) Never went back to that vet again, and they went out of business about a year later.
LOL. That's awesome! ;)

Actually, the vet that was rude is not the vet that I see at the clinic, but he had "weekend duty" so I was stuck with him. My regular vet did the surgery. He is a great vet and I also love the staff there. The meanie vet is the only one I don't like, and believe me, my vet will hear about it when Buck goes in for a recheck!

AdoreMyDogs
10-22-2006, 11:52 PM
I've been away from PT for the most part, only going on to the cat side to post about my cat and I missed this whole thread :( I'm sorry your little boy had an owwie, but so glad to see it end OK and it's great to see what an adorable smile he has, despite his big owwie :)

He's so cute!

pitc9
10-23-2006, 01:58 PM
I'm so glad he's back home!!
:D

My Peanuts
10-23-2006, 02:09 PM
I was out of town and I missed this. I'm so glad when I come back and see threads like this and things are already going good by the time I see it. So happy to hear Buck is acting like his old self. My boy Jimmy had emergency surgery in March 4 days after he was neutered. That plus going through spaying and neutering with several dogs, so I’ve seen a lot of stitches. From my experience, Buck's incision looks good. :)

K9karen
10-24-2006, 12:39 AM
Buck looks terrific, Sarah, and being home with you and his siblings is probably the best recovery! I can't tell you enough how happy I am that you took such quick action and all worked out well! Good on you, girl! My beloved Cody was a garbage gut and we had to keep a close eye on him all the time. Welcome Home, Buck, Welcome Home!

lv4dogs
10-24-2006, 02:10 PM
I saw this thread Sat but I am sorry I didn't have time to reply. Yous have been in my thoughts though. Glad to hear that he's home & doing so well. Hope he continues to do great!

cloverfdx
10-25-2006, 10:06 PM
Glad to see Buck home and happy Sarah :). How has he been doing? i hope all is going well, and he will be back to normal soon.

wolfsoul
10-25-2006, 10:14 PM
Glad to hear that Buck is home safe and sound. :D Here's hopin for a fast recovery!

Btw, just wanted to know from someone who's been through it more than once -- what are the symtpoms of a blockage?

dab_20
10-25-2006, 10:23 PM
I'm so sorry I missed this thread, I haven't been able to log on very often. I'm so glad Buck is home and doing well! That must have been a very scary ordeal for Buck and you. He sure is getting big! His fur is so shiny, you can definitaly tell he's healthy. Give that handsome boy a hug from me!

.sarah
10-26-2006, 01:13 AM
Thank you all :) Buck started swelling up a lot on Monday and we took him to the vet on Tuesday. The vet wasn't quite sure what was going on except that he was maybe having a reaction to the stitches. He was also excreting "serum" from his wound. The vet said his mammary glands were filling up with fluid and it almost looked like his nipples were inverted. It was strange and very scary and when I found out that "mean doctor" had done the surgery I got upset thinking he just rushed through it (that doctor rushes through everything) and didn't do a good job. Anyway, my vet had us get some homeopathic anti-inflammatory cream from the drug store and wrap an ace bandage around him snugly and also have him sleep on his back as often as I can (I'm so glad to have found a holistic vet who doesn't want to fill my dogs up with drugs for everything!). He's almost back to normal now. We do have another follow up appointment in the morning though.

Buck is getting harder and harder to keep still now! He definetly doesn't act like anything has happened.

Btw, just wanted to know from someone who's been through it more than once -- what are the symtpoms of a blockage?
Vomiting repeatedly, not keeping food down, lethargy, and just not looking right. Both Nova and Buck didn't want to play either. Nova vomited repeatedly while Buck did not. Nova vomited upwards of 15 times within an hour or two, Buck vomited 5 times within 20 or so hours. So it can be different for each dog, but I knew something wasn't right when there were other symptoms associated with vomiting. With Nova, vomiting that many times worried me in itself. With Buck, I wasn't worried - maybe he just wasn't feeling great. But when he started acting lethargic and had those heavy eyes like he just felt like crap, I put two and two together and figured it out. The vet also had me feel his stomach and I could feel the blockage.

Not a good experience whether they vomit it up, pass it, or have surgery, and I hope none of you ever have to experience it. It's scary! :(