PDA

View Full Version : Another stingray victim?

RICHARD
10-20-2006, 03:29 AM
A man in florida was stung in the chest the same way Stever Irwin was.

The barb collapsed his lung and almost pierced his heart.

The victim is 82 years old and managed to get himself to shore AFTER the
barb broke off in his chest.

I didn't see a story posted on the 'net, yet. :eek:

Pam
10-20-2006, 06:24 AM
Richard I heard that if Steve Irwin had left the barb in his chest until he got to the hospital, as this man did, he would have had a better chance of surviving. Don't know how true that is though.

IRescue452
10-20-2006, 07:39 AM
My roommate saw that article on aol news. The stingray had jumped out of the water and landed in his boat and of course started to flop around. Reminds me of the swordfish/marlin deaths that occur in Florida. The stupid old guy was trying to remove the thing from the boat. In the end they call it an attack. Yeah, like a stingray who landed on a boat after jumping really tried to attack. http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/stingray-leaps-into-boat-stabs-man-in/20061019043009990003?cid=2449

catnapper
10-20-2006, 07:44 AM
Hubby and I saw it on the news last night. Amazing!

ramanth
10-20-2006, 07:59 AM
This morning the word is that it did puncture his heart and after a couple of surgeries he's in stable condition.

Eerie.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15321718/

Vela
10-20-2006, 09:12 AM
My roommate saw that article on aol news. The stingray had jumped out of the water and landed in his boat and of course started to flop around. Reminds me of the swordfish/marlin deaths that occur in Florida. The stupid old guy was trying to remove the thing from the boat. In the end they call it an attack. Yeah, like a stingray who landed on a boat after jumping really tried to attack. http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/stingray-leaps-into-boat-stabs-man-in/20061019043009990003?cid=2449

What the heck is wrong with you? Why are you calling him stupid???The man had his grandaughter and her friend on the boat. The stingray landed inhis lap...what was it you would expect him to do?? NO he wasn't attacked, but that's the media saying that, NOT him, he can't say anything because he's in the hospital nearly dead. You need a clue. That's just rediculous. What happened was an unfortuante accident and he wasn't stupid and didn't do anything to cause what happened, it was just an accident. He didn't pick it up and put it in the boat, it jumped in and landed on top of him!

zoomer
10-20-2006, 09:18 AM
:eek: Oh my gosh.
I wish Steve had left the barb in his chest to stop the blood flowing out from his body........ :(

RICHARD
10-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Richard I heard that if Steve Irwin had left the barb in his chest until he got to the hospital, as this man did, he would have had a better chance of surviving. Don't know how true that is though.

Well,
they said that Irwin died instantly...but there was a doc on the tube last night that said people have a better chance of surviving a stab/knife wound by leaving the object in.

Irwin probably bled out...

There are two things that saved this guy...the barb broke off and it did not pierce his heart..altho it was reported that as the heart beat it drew the barb closer to heart itself! :eek:

GreyhoundGirl
10-20-2006, 02:53 PM
Hmmmm. Strange, you'd think Irwin would have known better. If he died after he took it out he shouldn't have teken it out. :confused: No offence, but I thought he was supposed to be an expert on this thing?

Vela
10-20-2006, 03:28 PM
Hmmmm. Strange, you'd think Irwin would have known better. If he died after he took it out he shouldn't have teken it out. :confused: No offence, but I thought he was supposed to be an expert on this thing?

First off he wasn't an expert on sting rays, secondly it's human nature to instinctively try to pull out something that impales you and it probably happened in a split second, not to mention he probably had no idea it hit his heart, it would have been scant seconds. He obviously wouldn't have pulled it out if he KNEW it would kill him and KNEW what would happen. There is no guarantee he would have lived anyway, they weren't close to any help when he got hurt, like this other gentleman was.

IRescue452
10-21-2006, 11:01 AM
I was under the impression that the older guy got stabbed trying to remove the thing by hand after it landed in the boat, not on top of him. And yes I was mad at the media for using the word "attack" not the old guy. I thought that was clear enough. Lately, Vela, you need to calm down at people and quit dumping on them. You've been quick to sting for a while now.

Alysser
10-21-2006, 12:44 PM
I heard this on another forum, what's weird is that the stringray got on the boat. How it managed to do that is beyond me. I think it was CNN news that interveiwed a man from an aquarium. He said that the ray could have been spooked by the boat or another animal.

Vela
10-21-2006, 12:51 PM
I was under the impression that the older guy got stabbed trying to remove the thing by hand after it landed in the boat, not on top of him. And yes I was mad at the media for using the word "attack" not the old guy. I thought that was clear enough. Lately, Vela, you need to calm down at people and quit dumping on them. You've been quick to sting for a while now.

I don't dump on people, I just happen to diasgree with the blatant disrepsect so many people show for others. You had no reason to call him stupid, especially since you didn't know anything about what was going on with the situation. You make snide comments all the time, just like the above comment about him being stupid. Perhaps put yourself in other people's shoes before you speak badly about them. If you had been in that situation you have no idea what you would have done. Also, if you have something to say to me personally take it to PM's, otherwise please refrain from comments like that, thanks. I have plenty of nice things to say to lots of poeple, so I don't know where you get that from but that's fine. Have a nice day.