PDA

View Full Version : Play ground sand..

tikeyas_mom
10-19-2006, 11:16 PM
i've read a bunch of different opinions about this subject.. but whats okay to house a bearded dragon on playground sand? or reptile carpet, or shelfliner??..
I put Yoshi on playground sand 2day, I think she enjoys it.. Shes digging alot.

zoomer
10-20-2006, 09:07 AM
I think it'd be fine! Just make sure it's clean and doesnt have anything in or on it that could harm your little one :) My gecko loves sand.

buttercup132
10-20-2006, 04:27 PM
The sand where they come from isnt at all like the sand at the play ground. They should be on the sand that is made for reptiles. And so should Geckos.

Aspen and Misty
10-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Did you acctually get the sand from a play ground? Or do you mean you bought playground sand like stuff?

If you got the sand from the play ground I would worry it would carry dieses and have stray objects in it that you could miss. I personally would worry just what kind of germs are in the sand and if my baby is going to catch any.

Ashley

zoomer
10-20-2006, 05:42 PM
The sand where they come from isnt at all like the sand at the play ground. They should be on the sand that is made for reptiles. And so should Geckos.

I meant sand made for reptiles from the pet store.....

buttercup132
10-20-2006, 06:15 PM
I meant sand made for reptiles from the pet store.....? You worded it to be as you use it for your gecko

zoomer
10-20-2006, 06:25 PM
? You worded it to be as you use it for your gecko

I do not use playground sand for my gecko I SAID my gecko loves sand, I didn't specify what kind of sand. You can see what kind of stuff I use for her below.......
And I thought the person posting meant sand from the pet store, too :confused: Now I'm confused...
does she mean sand out of a sand box or something?
If she did no I dont think that would be good. There may be germs in it and it might be too rough on the skin, so why don't you just buy some sand from the pet store and use that? He will like it just as much. Make sure you do not get the colored sand though because it colors their feet and it is not good for them.

Uabassoon
10-20-2006, 06:30 PM
I'm pretty sure this is what she is talking about. You can get it at any home improvement store.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/lickitung/PHOTOPLAYSAND.jpg

lv4dogs
10-21-2006, 09:52 AM
The best substance to use is the reptile carpet. But if you do you need to purchase at least 2 or 3 pieces as you need to clean them often & they take quite a long time to dry.
I just got a bearded dragon last week and I have been studying them like crazy, readong, speaking to professionalists about them, etc.. lol)

Currently I am using the calcium sand found at pet stores, the kind that is suposed to be safe to eat. There is a lot of controversy about this, some people say that they can still get blockages from this stuff. Because I just got him & already had sand, and things have been hectic that is what I am using right now but I am switching over to the reptile carpet soon.

Sandbox sand.... I have found one website that says it is ok to use, if you sift it well. But every other site, person, vet, etc... says not to use it.

Newspaper is ok to use, it is safe. But it can make it easy for crickets to hide and may also make your dragon a little dirty from the print on the paper.

buttercup132
10-21-2006, 11:32 AM
And I thought the person posting meant sand from the pet store, too http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/confused.gif Now I'm confused... :rolleyes: She said it right in the original post!!

okay to house a bearded dragon on playground sand?

tikeyas_mom
10-21-2006, 10:56 PM
okay lemme clear this up a little..
I read on a reptile forum it is okay to use siphoned "playground sand" the kind you buy for $10 at the department store.

I have had Yoshi housed on reptile carpet for almost a year, but i find it to be really hard to clean, and it always tends to keep a slight odor to it..

I decided to buy a different kind of sand, one that my friend uses in his aquariums.. it is called lance moutian sand or somthing like that.. its a white sande VERY fine.. I'll try that for a while, and see if she trys to eat any of it.. if she does I will take it out and put her back on reptile carpet.. i have fed her a couple times since she's been in this cage with the sand, and she hasnt eaten it..

thansk for all the replys :)

lv4dogs
10-24-2006, 02:43 PM
I'll try that for a while, and see if she trys to eat any of it.. if she does I will take it out and put her back on reptile carpet.. i have fed her a couple times since she's been in this cage with the sand, and she hasnt eaten it..

You do have to worry about her eating it, but there is more to it than that. When she eats she may accidently pick up some sand granules with her food (we all know how well sand sticks to everything & anything). Sometimes the sand will not pass, not even just a granule or two of it, so instead it builds up inside them, causing a blockage later on. So even though she isn't really eating it per say she could still be ingesting it. Just keep a close eye on her. Good luck, they are great creatures aren't they? I have so much fun with Vincent (my beardie).