PDA

View Full Version : Do you buy generic or name brand?

Pembroke_Corgi
10-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Do you tend to buy generic or name brand?

I usually buy generic food unless there is a major difference in quality. Target and Kroger make pretty decent generic brands, but sometimes I think there is a distinct difference. When I want something really good, I usually buy higher end food.

For clothing I usually like name brand (not a specific kind, just in general) but I usually buy them second-hand. Second hand shopping is one of my favorite hobbies! I rarely buy new clothes, I finally had to break down and buy a few nice work outfits new though because I don't know of any good second hand shops around here (there are several in Iowa City that are the BEST).

What about you?

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Depends what it is. Most of the time I by generic, but there are a few food items that I won't buy unless it's name brand. I don't care who makes my clothes, as long as they fit comfortably and look ok. I buy whatever is cheapest as far as clothing goes.

iamgobsmacked
10-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Over time I have learned which generic products are equal and which are not. Drugs for instance- generic where available.

Ketchup - Heinz only
Tea Bags- Tetley Only
Herbal teas - Name brands only
Pet Food - Wellness, Natural Balance

Peanut Butter - Name Brand Only
Any processed can foods - Name brand only

many other items however, generic

Vela
10-19-2006, 03:45 PM
I prefer to buy name brand most of the time. I usually get things on sale and with a coupon and it ends up being the same price or cheaper than the off brand. I keep a food storage for emergencies though, so I usually don't buy most things unless they are on sale, unless im out of something and really need it right now. It's just a habit i got into a long time ago. Clothes it just depends, I have to clothe three kids and they like the name brand stuff, i just bet it cheaper online on sales or at ebay, can get new with tags for a fraction of the price.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
10-19-2006, 04:04 PM
For food, it really depends on the quality of the product. I don't care whether my clothing is name brand or not.

MajesticCollies
10-19-2006, 04:07 PM
Being single :D and shopping for just me and my teenage son, I am probably the worst shopper when it comes to saving money on goods. I'm kind of like, If I want it, I buy it. Maybe I need someone to show me how to conservatively shop.

Laura's Babies
10-19-2006, 04:17 PM
I usually buy generic unless I have tried it and didn't like the quality. Most generic's I don't really see much of a differance. I DO insist on Glory Greens when I buy those, NONE compare to Glory greens and I am hooked on them.

Funny you mention used clothing stores... I just bought 3 shirts at the Goodwill store that I just LOVE!! All 3 were made for me and just sitting there waiting for me to bring them home.

k9krazee
10-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Well, my dad is a huge 'it must be name brand' person, so thats usually what we had at home. Now when I buy things for myself I tend to go with generic brands or whatever's on sale. :D

Danegirl2208
10-19-2006, 04:20 PM
honestly it dosent really matter to me...But there are certain things i wont buy generic brands of.

Uabassoon
10-19-2006, 04:32 PM
I mostly buy generic, however there are a few groceries that I do by name brand such as soda and some cosmetic items.

As for clothes I will admit that I do like nice labels! At least I save up by going generic at the grocery store! I also do mostly shop in the sales section and I don't really like womens clothing however I'm too small for most mens clothing so I usually shop in the boys section making my clothes a resonable price.

Karen
10-19-2006, 04:54 PM
I don't really care about brand names, other than I know that, for example, Canada Dry gingerale doesn't make me sick, other sodas with citric acid usually do. I read labels, ingredients list first. I do, however, like Quaker Oatmeal better than the store brand, but I did try the generic!

dogzr#1
10-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Well I am not the one that shops for groceries, but my parents buy an equal amount of generic and name brand foods. Some of the foods taste better when they are name brand, and vice versa. I really dont care most of the time.

As for clothes, I admit I like the 'expensive' stuff better :p but I'm fine with buying Wal-Mart clothes or clothes from the thrift store. I have about $200 to buy school clothes with and I usually buy the cheapes thing possible. I bought a good amount of my clothes at the thrift store. They were only 3cents a pound and I found some really good deals! I usually buy my other clothes at like JCPenny's, Dillards, or Mervyns or something. I sometimes buy them at like Wal-Mart or Target. I have bought a couple like REAL name brand stuff, but I'm too 'poor' for them. (Not really, but I just like to save my money XD)

buttercup132
10-19-2006, 06:11 PM
For clothing I only wear name brand like Volcom, Etnies, Element,Roxy etc. I also buy them new so it cost a arm and a leg. $100 for a new sweater:rolleyes:

As for food I dont buy my food , as long as it taste good I dont care.

IRescue452
10-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Whatever is better. I'm pretty picky about things and usually stick to one brand for each particular item.

mruffruff
10-20-2006, 09:44 AM
I'm a real cheapskate, so I generally go for generic. If I've tried the generic and don't like it, I'll be glad to pay extra for a brand name. As long as it fills the bill to my satisfaction, I'll cut the cost with generic. And food doesn't stick around very long (except on my hips!)

I buy most of my clothes from thrift shops. I can get a good brand name or a cheap brand for the same price --$1.00 apiece. I do buy my jeans at Wal-Mart because they are the only place I can find stretch jeans with pockets that actually fit all day. I usually weigh the need/want against the $$$. If I ever find the black coat I want, I'll be happy to pay whatever it takes.

Cataholic
10-20-2006, 10:18 AM
I tend to buy more generic. Well, Kroger's premium select! I really can't tell the difference. I buy Kroger butter, or cheese. But, some things I just prefer the brand- Jif x-tra crunchy, for one!

As for clothes? Give me sales, consignment, discount, hand me down, worn, etc. If it fits, is presentable, and comfy, I am in it.

angelbow20
10-20-2006, 10:40 AM
I buy cheap dog food for the most part, sometimes we buy name brand depending on what our dogs eat and i dont like spending tons of money on dogfood when we have four dogs to feed and 2 rabbits. clothes i have to admit i buy name brand and new...

Vela
10-20-2006, 11:21 AM
I buy cheap dog food for the most part, sometimes we buy name brand depending on what our dogs eat and i dont like spending tons of money on dogfood when we have four dogs to feed and 2 rabbits. clothes i have to admit i buy name brand and new...

Sorry, I realize you didn't ask for my opinion but I'm going to give it anyway, you don't mind spending LOTS of money on new name brand clothes, but don't mind feeding your animals garbage because better food is expensive? Those animals depend on you to provide them with the best you can, buying the cheapest crap in the store is not doing your best. If you can't afford to feed four dogs at least marginally decent food, you shouldn't have that many. You could feed all four dogs for a month on some of the most expensive stuff there is for the cost of 2 or 3 shirts or a pair of shoes from that name brand stuff. It's rather selfish to force them to eat whatever is cheapest while you dress in the most expensive stuff. And it's not that you can't buy them better, it's that you don't want to...there is a difference and that's too bad.

JenBKR
10-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Almost everything generic - although I must have Heinz ketchup! I couldn't care less about designer label clothes or things like that so I buy cheap or second hand, or I go to Gab's for clothes.

Glacier
10-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Both... I buy lots of generic brand products, dont' care about my clothes' labels. But life is too short to eat crappy cheese! I'll spring for the good stuff!

Lori Jordan
10-20-2006, 12:52 PM
I am half and half some things i do buy name brand,I'm lucky my daughter will wear anything as long as it is "in style"As too food im both i by alot of no name stuff for example Barbeque sauces our family prefers Presidents chioce sauces rather then kraft and all the name brands,As to my dogs they do not get low average meat they always get the best cuts,I have always been a on sale buyer for the things that cost the most,I recently signed up for canadian grocers,which is a company that delivers your food to the door(Bonus!!) It is called Canadian Grocer,You pay 6 months ahead it cost about 15 hundred but im telling you they have the best meat i have ever had,Now i still have to buy the basics like eggs milk etc but it is pretty good and works good,Mind you i have had to buy a new freezer and fridge,you get 6 months worth of groceries so i have packed cuboards which i like to see lol.

lizbud
10-20-2006, 01:11 PM
I usually buy a little of both in food items & clothes.With clothes,the better
brand things last longer.

Cataholic
10-20-2006, 01:35 PM
For clothing I only wear name brand like Volcom, Etnies, Element,Roxy etc. I also buy them new so it cost a arm and a leg. $100 for a new sweater:rolleyes:

I find it somewhat ironical that you only buy name brand clothes like those listed above, and I haven't heard of a single one of them! So much for branding, eh? :D

JenBKR
10-20-2006, 01:36 PM
I find it somewhat ironical that you only buy name brand clothes like those listed above, and I haven't heard of a single one of them! So much for branding, eh? :D

hehe I thought the same thing, thought I was the only one

Vela
10-20-2006, 01:39 PM

Yeah those are the new "in" brands with teenagers nowdays, mine all want those same brands too.

Cataholic
10-20-2006, 01:40 PM
Yeah those are the new "in" brands with teenagers nowdays, mine all want those same brands too.

I just think it is funny. I wonder if it is regional? I don't think I have heard of them. I will have to ask the girl down the street.

Lori Jordan
10-20-2006, 03:31 PM
Buttercup you are from Canada right?If so i myself have never heard of them.Mind you they come out with new brand names everyday,I asked Becca and she new them all so i guess it's
a Teenager thing.

dogzr#1
10-20-2006, 03:51 PM
I've heard of them before. I myself like to go for Areopostle, Ambercrombie etc.

finn's mom
10-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Depends on what it is. I usually will buy name brand jeans, and name brand shoes. As for groceries, I typically will buy name brand bread...but, most everything else, I don't really care. I usually don't buy anything packaged or processed anyway (except for frozen veggies, which I will buy the store brand). I do also buy name brand shampoos and conditioners.

Toby's my baby
10-20-2006, 04:16 PM
I've heard of the brands Alicia listed too. Yes, it is MOSTLY teenager stuff, though, my brother wears those brands and he's 30.

We buy mostly name brand stuff, but we do buy a few genaric things. I too get $200 to spend on school clothes, and I spend it all at Hollister, Abercrombie, and Gordmans. Although, when I shop at Hollister, and especially Abercrombie, I have a very hard time paying $30 - $40 for a t-shirt, so I usually only buy what is on sale. Hollister has great sales, bringing a t-shirt price down to $10!! :eek: For Christmas, I usually ask for gift certificates to Abercrombie, that way I dont feel so guilty. :rolleyes: Gordmans is great too, $25 for a pair of Sliver jeans, which are usually anywhere from $60 - $100.

momoffuzzyfaces
10-20-2006, 04:48 PM
I usually buy the store brand or generic. They can be even better than the brand names. Our Dollar General Store sells a peanubutter cup that should make the brand name blush!!! YUMMY! :D

Pam
10-20-2006, 05:12 PM
I do, however, like Quaker Oatmeal better than the store brand, but I did try the generic!

Great minds (or tastebuds) think alike! I was just going to post about Quaker oatmeal!! How funny is that?! I bought the store brand once and it tasted like sawdust. I wound up throwing it away so it really didn't wind up being cheaper. :p

angelbow20
10-21-2006, 10:17 AM
Sorry, I realize you didn't ask for my opinion but I'm going to give it anyway, you don't mind spending LOTS of money on new name brand clothes, but don't mind feeding your animals garbage because better food is expensive? Those animals depend on you to provide them with the best you can, buying the cheapest crap in the store is not doing your best. If you can't afford to feed four dogs at least marginally decent food, you shouldn't have that many. You could feed all four dogs for a month on some of the most expensive stuff there is for the cost of 2 or 3 shirts or a pair of shoes from that name brand stuff. It's rather selfish to force them to eat whatever is cheapest while you dress in the most expensive stuff. And it's not that you can't buy them better, it's that you don't want to...there is a difference and that's too bad.

welll actually if you must know not all the food i buy is garbage i buy them kibbles and bits and food they enjoy and if they dont like it i mix it with meat, and if i couldnt afford it 2 of the dogs are my parents and they buy good food, not all name brand clothes is actaully that expensive, where i live we have sales obviously and things become cheaper but its still name brand.

Vela
10-21-2006, 01:38 PM
Well, whether I agree with it or not I should have kept my opinion to myself. I had been up for 36 hours worked all night and it got the better of me. The thread wasn't about that anyway. My apologies.

cmayer31
10-21-2006, 04:05 PM
I buy both generic and name brand. For food and such I will buy whatever is on sale and somewhat enjoyable to eat. When I do buy clothes I have a tendency to buy name brand. The running joke in the house is that I'm sponsored by surf/skate shops. I own a lot of volcom, quicksilver, ...Lost type clothes. It's hard not to end up wearing that when I mostly shop at surf shops.

Also it's funny, at some formal business meetings/dinners I'll wear a ..Lost or some other "nice" collared, but surf brand shirt, and I get compliments from others at the meeting; go figure. All of my pets get premium name brands ;)

Suki Wingy
10-21-2006, 08:50 PM
generic for most things unrelated to pets.

luvofallhorses
10-21-2006, 09:02 PM
for food, some things have to be name brand like soda..I only drink diet pepsi and if soda is on sale and it's generic, I will drink it. certain cereals have to be name brand or it's not as good tasting imo. any other food, it doesn't matter. :)

and for clothes, it doesn't matter although I like to wear lei jeans..because they are comfortable but the rest doesn't matter. :)

krazyaboutkatz
10-21-2006, 10:56 PM
I buy name brand food items like soda=diet coke,peanut butter=JIF, and ketchup=Heinz. My toothpaste also has to be name brand but my mouthwash can be generic. I also buy name brand cosmetics,shampoo and conditioner. My clothes can be generic but my jeans have to be Gloria Vanderbilt. The cat food I buy has to a name brand too. I guess I still buy more name brand items than generic.:)

cyber-sibes
10-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Usually generic, unless I get it home and it's really inferior. then I get name brand. one exception - Only Pepsi is Pepsi. There's alot of Coke/cola generics, but nothing generic tastes like real Pepsi.

sirrahbed
10-22-2006, 10:02 AM
I try to find generics when I can - and since I shop at Kroger, I like the store brand of most foods. Some things, like COKE must be CocaCola. Cat food is name brand. Some generics are actually better I think - Kroger strawberry preserves beat out Smuckers easily ;)

For clothing, I mostly buy at Wal-Mart and like their Faded Glory brand. For namebrand clothing - I do like Venezia at Lane Bryant :)

I have often heard that many products are the same and the brand labels are slapped on the same items. I know my three kids worked at a sandpaper making factory when they were younger and mass produced sheets of sandpaper that were wrapped in assorted recognizable name brands ;)

Kfamr
10-22-2006, 10:10 AM
My dogs get $50 dog food when they are not eating cuts of raw meat and fresh fruits and veggies.

I usually buy cheap thrift store clothes. The most expensive piece of clothing I bought recently were two band shirts - Norma Jean and Hellogoodbye. They were both around $15 I believe.

For human food, whatever is on sale. I prefer name-brand orange juice/other juices over store/generic brands. Generic brand juices taste watered down to me.

K9karen
10-23-2006, 12:05 AM
Being single :D and shopping for just me and my teenage son, I am probably the worst shopper when it comes to saving money on goods. I'm kind of like, If I want it, I buy it. Maybe I need someone to show me how to conservatively shop.

I volunteer!!!
I love shopping... any kind. Name Brand/Generic.. depends on the product. I also shop at Sam's Club for bulk, even tho there's just the 3 of us. I know the per pound/ounce cost of most stuff from the supermarket, so I know just what to buy. As long as the clothes fit good and are machine washable I don't give a poop about name brands.

wolfsoul
10-23-2006, 12:21 AM
Depends on what it is-- usually I go for the generic because it is cheaper, but there are a few things (like macaroni and cheese) when the name brand is a must.

Argranade
10-23-2006, 12:23 AM
For shoes I always get Vans but ill go for any other good skate boarder but Bam is my favourit guy so I buy his shoes almost always plus my feet realy dont go well in anyother type of shoes but skate. :o

For pants, I dont realy care on the brand I mean for all I care Ill go to Value Vilage and grab some second hand pants because I usualy end up ripping them or getting them stained out. For my tops I usualy buy them new because there my main theme on me,so they have to stand out the stores I buy them at are like Boathouse,Sport-teck,Urban Planet ect.. (I will like 5 times a month get a realy cashy peice of clothes that can go for $50 or more just for speacail days) I like to shop cheap because I like to spend my money on other things like movies n stuff plus I got alot of pets too feed and get toys for lol.

On food lol well, the only thing I usualy go to the food store for is pickles and No name is what I always get...mmm mmm pickles.

dukedogsmom
10-23-2006, 01:48 AM
Depends on what it is. There's no substitute for Oreos! Always buy name brand. Things like bread, though, can be generic.