PDA

View Full Version : Scratching question

caseysmom
10-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Hello...don't get over to the cat side too often....sorry about that...actually I come over to look at all the cute cats I just don't post too often.

As some of you know I have recently inhereted my brothers kitty when my brother passed away. I have had him for 2 and a half months and just a week or so ago I noticed he is scratching and has ruined the carpet on the stairs. I put towels over the stairs and bought a scratching thing.

My rb gigi ruined many many couches and I was hoping potter would not have this habit....any suggestions? Of course declawing is out of the question.

catnapper
10-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Have you trimmed his nails yet? Once a month trimming helps a LOT. My guys get twice monthly trims (especially Harry)

Also, watch how he scratches. Is it laying down? Vertical? Scrunched up? Stretched out? Get a post that will best match his scratching habits. Pouncer stretches out as long as he can get. A short little post wouldn't do him any good, so he has a loooong board to sacratch on. Abby scrunches up almost into a ball and scratches fast in one little spot, so she's happy on a small carpet scrap on the floor. Get the idea? I just watched how they naturally prefer to scratch and set up scratching areas just for them based upon their preferences. They don't scratch anything they aren't supposed to thanks to that (and their twice monthly nail clippings)

buttercup132
10-19-2006, 01:59 PM
I just got Hank some Soft Claws and they work really well.
(They have them cheap on e bay)

Catty1
10-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Yes - Buttercup finally talked her mom into getting Soft Claws and a neighboor also seems to be a convert!

Choice of many colours! :D

Freedom
10-19-2006, 02:28 PM
Cats NEED to scratch, it is part of being a cat. So you won't be able to stop the scratching. What you do is re-direct it to a proper place, like the scratching post.

Rub some catnip on the post to entice kitty to use that. And praise him any time you notice him using it. "Good BOY, Potter!"

Normally, I put double sided sticky tape on the furnitutre where they have been scratching, to get them to stop using that spot. Last time, I couldn't find the tape so I went into a craft store and bought mounting tape. Works just as well. But the carpet stairs, um, I would be sure to get my shoe stuck!

Catnapper is right about HOW they scratch. Sparkle likes to stretch up to her full height. The top edges of the sofa and upholstered chair used to take a beating. I bought a tall cat tree, and she uses that now. Kept the tape on the sofa and chair for about 3 weeks while she switched over. It has been 3 years now, she is using the tree only.

When they scratch, they are depositing scent from the glands in their front paws. Declawing doesn't help, because the scent glands are still present, and they still deposit the scent, making the same motions. You may need to clean the area where he WAS scratching, because he will want to redeposit his scent where he was before.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

buttercup132
10-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Normally, I put double sided sticky tape on the furnitutre where they have been scratching, to get them to stop using that spot. Not everyone wants to do that to thier furniture though.

By using the soft claws they can still have the feeling that they are scratching but without doing the damage.

catnapper
10-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Not everyone wants to do that to thier furniture though.

Why not? Its not permanent and doesn't stain or change the fabric in any way. Its a great way to keep the fabric intact while deterring the cat away from it during the training process.

caseysmom
10-19-2006, 04:12 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Sorry I asked a question then had to go run some errands. I will trim his nails and look into soft paws, I don't mind tape on the furniture either.

He scratchs the furniture on his hind legs with his front paws, he scratchs the stairs sort of scrunched up. I bought one of those walmart scratchers, my rb gigi loved those, although she would scratch that AND the couch.

catmandu
10-19-2006, 07:05 PM
I Have Old Beat Up Furniture So The Cats Can Scratch All They Want.
We Have A Nutro Scratching Box Which They Give Away With The Dry Food, And The Kittens Really Like That.

Laura's Babies
10-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Also, if soft claws/ aka soft paws don't work you might want to try getting a piece of 2 X 4 and going to the hardware store or building supply and get enough sisal rope to wrap the 2 X 4. You can cut the 2x4 in 2 or 3 feet sections and have several throughout the house. You may have to rub some catnip into the rope to get him interested but mine took to it so fast without needing any encouragement at all. They LOVE the feel and smell of the sisal rope.

caseysmom
10-19-2006, 11:18 PM
Thanks for more advice! I am like you Gary...the furniture is old, but when he started clawing the carpet on the stairs I was afraid of hubby's reaction. I have to confess he goes outside sometimes also so I am not sure about soft paws. I tried for 3 weeks not to let him out, he cries by the door for hours, my brother mostly left him outside.

Catty1
10-19-2006, 11:27 PM
How about Soft Paws and a cat door? Or a small dog run?

Poor baby - it's hard when they are older and used to being outside.

G535
10-19-2006, 11:58 PM
I Have Old Beat Up Furniture So The Cats Can Scratch All They Want.

We do too, cats are supposed to scratch things! :)

Declawing is illegal down here, I would hope that some more countries will do the same soon.