PDA

View Full Version : do spayed females that have never had a litter

ashleycat
10-19-2006, 09:50 AM
ever feel like something is missing in their life?

I played a video of adult dogs barking and Runner didn't act to it. I played puppies playing and doing that squeeling bark they do, and she came running trying to find them. She would look at the speakers and do that twisting head thing.

I don't think she's had a liter, but I don't know much of her history other than the last 2 people that adopted her. ONe lady returned her because she wouldn't jog with her, and another lady returned her cus she got sick. But she is spayed. .

Muddy4paws
10-19-2006, 09:53 AM
Its possible, or maybe the sound was pitched enough to catch her attention?

ashleycat
10-19-2006, 09:55 AM
maybe lol. It was cute.

luvofallhorses
10-19-2006, 10:54 AM
nope, because they will never have a litter, so they don't know. :)

Pawsitive Thinking
10-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Tobey and Archie love puppies but they've never been mothers either! Its more instinct to protect the young than wanting their own

ashleycat
10-19-2006, 11:31 AM
maybe their sound sounded like they were hurt? I dunno.

sumbirdy
10-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Scout loves puppies and reacts to the sound of them better than anything else (Scout is MALE) Maybe it's just because puppies are higher pitched.

lute
10-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Beanie loves puppies. i agree that they dogs react to the sound of puppies more because they want to protect them.

Jessika
10-19-2006, 01:13 PM
It was probably just the pitch of the barks that attracted her attention. I can play lots of clips of dogs barking and Jamie and Charlie can care less. I play other clips and they come running. Double-Oh of course only comes running when kitties are meowing on TV haha

ramanth
10-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Kia had puppies before I adopted her and sometimes she reacts to puppy sounds and sometimes she doesn't. There are two Husky puppies living in our building now and Kia just wants nothing to do with them. They jump on her and try to play and she just snarks at 'em. :rolleyes: :confused:

She'll sometimes react to a crying dog on TV when I'm watching Animal Cops.

I don't think she misses her puppies nor do I think it would of mattered to her if she had puppies or not.

BC_MoM
10-19-2006, 02:58 PM
I think females can respond to that high pitched sound puppies make more than just because it's high pitched - all female dogs have a maternal instinct - just like humans.

sumbirdy
10-19-2006, 03:02 PM
I think females can respond to that high pitched sound puppies make more than just because it's high pitched - all female dogs have a maternal instinct - just like humans.

Well, not all female dogs have maternal instincts. Lacy, Heavon, and Sprinkles absoulutely HATE puppies.

BC_MoM
10-19-2006, 03:04 PM
Maybe Molly has hers because she was incompletely spayed and goes through false pregnancies every 6 months then.

I guess it depends on the dog though.

M&M's Mommy
10-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Missy reacts to the new pup (Muffin) in a much different way than Mocha does. She pays attention to Muffin's every noises, and moves, and she lets Muffin chew on her ears while she licks Muffin & cleans her ears in return. She also stays in the bed with Muffin at nite for a while before going to her own bed, as if to keep her warm, or at least to provide company, while Mocha doesn't seem to want to interact that much with Muffin. Mocha is also very sweet toward Muffin & will play with Muffin, but not in the way Missy does, almost like there is a teaching thing going on...

I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence, or there is indeed a difference between the way male & female dog reacts to the new puppy. To me, I think Missy's maternal instinct has kicked in somehow, even though she was spayed very young, and had never had any litter of her own.

Karen
10-19-2006, 08:39 PM
No, not like a human would. Yes, most dogs, male or female, will react to the sound of puppies, doesn;t mean they are longng for parenthood!