PDA

View Full Version : Are goldens naturally skinny?

angelbow20
10-18-2006, 01:15 PM
MY golden retrievers eat a good amount of food, dont have worms and seem to be healthy as can be but they are still so skinny? the male is only about 63 pounds which is in the normal weight range but he lost a few pound from last time he went to the vets when he was 67 pounds and he is a yr and a half old. The other one is about 1 yr old and shes not as skinny but she's still pretty skinny compared to our other breeds of dogs? is it normal for golden retrievers to be skinny?

Logan
10-18-2006, 01:19 PM
NO!!! They are not naturally skinny. We fight extra weight on our two all the time and did the same on our RB boy, Zipper, too.

luvofallhorses
10-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Goldens are NOT naturally skinny!! I have seen a few goldens being small in size but not skinny and plus your dog may still be growing if he is only a year and a half old. :)

angelbow20
10-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Why i was confused is because our vet said it could be normal for him to lose weight because he is so active and runs around alot and is also growing, and my friend said her vet told her goldens grow length wise instead of wide or something in that matter. so i wasnt sure if he was just growing and very active or losing weight for some other reason, he is very athletic looking and muscular but i just think he looks skinny and i like my dogs having meat on them more than he seems to i dont like them overweight just chunky i guess.

Logan
10-18-2006, 01:35 PM
Mine didn't get "meaty" until after they were two years old. Perhaps yours haven't grown into that stage yet. Don't let them!!! LOL!!! :o We have dieted ours for years now, to try and get them to that perfect weight. As long as they are eating, don't have any other medically related symptoms, enjoy feeling their ribs and don't think "chunky". I am the exact same way as you, as I want them to have some meat on their bones, but mine have too much and as they get older, they do slow down and fatten up, especially after a spay/neuter.

Logan