PDA

View Full Version : Questions about cats going into heat??

Heather78418
10-18-2006, 12:01 PM
I have no idea when this is supposed to haappen or what its like??For them or us?? When does it usually happen ?? What are the signs? And so forth .. Any help is appreciated...... Thank you PT!!!

Jessika
10-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Well, the easiest way to not have it sneak up on you is to have them spayed as soon as possible.

Cats can go into heat whenever they feel like it. My sister's cat would be in heat for a month straight if there was a male nearby.

Logan
10-18-2006, 01:25 PM
I totally agree with Jessika. Have her spayed, right away. My two females that I have had in my adult life went into heat in such sporadic ways that it was impossible to try and figure out when it was going to happen. The sooner the spay, the better, in my opinion. Both of my girls ended up going through the riskier spays, while they were in heat, but both did fine.

Logan

catnapper
10-18-2006, 01:29 PM
Believe me, you'll know when she's in heat. She'll meow her head off. No, meow is too "soft" a word --- she'll scream her head off night and day for as long as a few weeks, or until she gets pregnant. She'll scritch her butt up in the air. It pure heck on earth being around a cat in heat.

They can go into heat as young as 4 or 5 months and it can take til nearly a year old before their first heat. Every cat is different. All mine got spoayed before they could even hope to experience their first heat.

kb2yjx
10-18-2006, 01:35 PM
Ditto to the above responses, get the cat spayed!!! Then you do not have to worry about attracting males about the house or unwanted kittens!!! Neuter and Spay, it is the kindest way....

catmandu
10-18-2006, 07:08 PM
Scrappy 2 Was An Stray, And Went Into Heat At 5 Months, And Was Carrying A Kitten At 6 Months.
Sadly The Kitten Died.
Please Get Your Girl Spayed Before An Accident Happens.

krazyaboutkatz
10-18-2006, 10:59 PM
I've heard of some females going into heat a young as 4 months old so this is why I wanted to have my Ziggy spayed before she was even this old. A lot of vets won't spay them until they're at least 6 months old but by then some of them have already gone into heat. As long as your kitten is healthy and has had her shots and weighs enough, she should be okay to be spayed.

How old is your kitten?