PDA

View Full Version : Is this ok or should i get her help?

angelbow20
10-17-2006, 02:12 PM
My dog eats ALOT and lately she throws up, its not every day sometimes it is 2 times a day sometimes she doesnt for a week to 2 weeks but she throws up, the thing is the throw up is like whole food, it looks like she just eats it whole... do you think she is sick or just eats her food to fast then ends up throwing it up because shes being a pig?

buttercup132
10-17-2006, 02:16 PM
If you know this is because she eats alot then why wouldnt you feed her less? And small amounts at a time.

Toby's my baby
10-17-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm not sure (there are other people that know more about this than me) but do you just keep feeding her?? You should be in control of how much your dog is eatting each day.

angelbow20
10-17-2006, 02:19 PM
she only gets one cup of food per meal so she doesnt get alot its when she eats she just swallows it and im not going to feed her dry dog food by hand, i was just wondering if she throws up because she eats like that or if theres actaully something wrong, because shes still hyper and playful so she doesnt look sick but i didnt know if someone knows or has had a dog that has had a problem like this.

Jessika
10-17-2006, 02:19 PM
Dogs will act hungry even if they don't need the food. Feed teh same amount every day, and STICK TO IT. If you need help determining how much to feed check the feeding guide on the back of the bag. And by "cups" they don't mean any old cup from your cupboard, they mean an actual cup, use a measuring cup if you have one, if you don't then buy one. Feed the same portions EVERY DAY. And also if it says, for example, 2 cups a day, that means 2 cups a day, not 2 cups every meal. If you feed two meals, then split it up to 1 cup each meal twice a day.

Dogs will act hungry. Don't give in!! YOU are alpha :P

Vela
10-17-2006, 02:20 PM
It honestly sounds to me like she may be eating too much too fast, and it's making her throw up. You should give her a measured amount of food per day, and she will probably stop throwing up. Depending on what you feed her, you can go by the recommendations loosely on the bag, and reduce the amount of food or increase it slightly if it needs to be. I fee raw and EVO when i do feed any kibble, when they were on kibble, it was chicken soup and then evo and they only ate 2 cups a day. The cheper foods usually require more to be fed to keep up with the nutritional needs of the dog, depending on activity levels.

Jessika
10-17-2006, 02:21 PM
Ah, we posted at the same time. So she's a gulper then?? That CAN cause to throwing up. I suggest feeding smaller portions throughout the day. If she only gets 1 cup a day, feed two meals of 1/2 cup twice a day, see how that works. Otherwise try other methods... there is osmething called a Buster Cube, http://www.bustercube.com/ you can use to have your dog have to work for the kibble, and only a little falls out at a time, so she won't be gulping it.

Giselle
10-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Here are a few tried and true methods to curb gulping:

- Wet the food down or include some mushy add-ins. Mashed bananas, boiled carrots and peas, bits and pieces of meat, and even a bit of peanut butter are all excellent supplements.

- Use either an obstruction. Take a bit of chain link and coil it into your dog's food bowl or drop a few tennis balls in the dish. Don't try a bundt pan. Your dog will simply eat around it.

- Use a large flat pan instead of a bowl.

- If you have multiple dogs, separate them in different rooms so there is no competition.

- Feed frequent small meals in toys specifically made for holding food/treats, i.e. Kongs or Jessika's suggestion of a Buster Cube.

lisahumphreys882
10-17-2006, 10:30 PM
I think sometimes when dogs eat after they've been for a long walk or just a walk in general they sometimes throw up. This has happened with Benji before. I think the hot weather also has an affect on it as well.

angelbow20
10-18-2006, 07:54 AM
Its really weird because when i feed her meat or canned food or anything but dry food she doesnt seem to throw up as much. she mainly does when its dry food, i think she just gulps the dry food up quicker then any other kind of food. she chews and eats anything though so im not suprised in a way that she throws up.

Pawsitive Thinking
10-18-2006, 08:02 AM
If in doubt, have her checked out :D

zoomer
10-18-2006, 09:14 AM
I suggest taking her to the vet, they'll be able to tell you exactly what's wrong with your puppy.