PDA

View Full Version : What Country is you or your family from?

angelbow20
10-17-2006, 02:00 PM
My mom's side of the family is 100 percent hungarian, and my dads is pennsylvania dutch and german..... i was just wondering where everyone else is from or where there familys are from... anyone from hungary? i never got to speak to anyone else who is, my grandparents spoke it and i know a few words but they passed away. and i never met a few of my family members that still live there...

BC_MoM
10-17-2006, 02:49 PM
My Mom was born in Ireland, and my whole Mom's side is from there.

My Dad is Ukranian.

I have to brag...

Nontechnically speaking, I am royalty. My great-great grandpa was a Duke in Denmark during WWII. He left because he feared for his life - and fled to Canada. The Germans wanted him to return, or his son - but he refused. Eventually, that part of Denmark was taken over and is no longer Denmark.

Pembroke_Corgi
10-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Irish & German on my mom's side and Scottish and French on my dad's.

My grandparents (on my mom's side) have actually visited some relatives in Ireland and Germany.

cmayer31
10-17-2006, 04:23 PM
My dad's side of the family is mostly German and my mom's side is mostly Scottish. Sadly with the passing of my grandmother last month the only people left from my mom's side are my mom, my brother, and myself. I'm the last of the blue eyed blonde haired children that can trace back to our Scottish ancestors. There's plenty of relatives left on my dad's side though :)

davidpizzica
10-17-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm a half & half guy. On my father's side, I'm Italian, and on my mother's side I'm Lithuanian.

Anita Cholaine
10-17-2006, 04:50 PM
My mom's parents were both Ukranian.

Then, on my dad's side:

My grandmother's mom was Italian, and her dad was Spanish (Catalan, to be more specific)

My grandfather's mom was native, from a tribe that lived in Argentina (I'm not sure if she was totally native or if she had a bit of european blood, though). His dad was Spanish, from the Basque Country.

So, as most argentinians, I'm a mutt ;)

chocolatepuppy
10-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Moms side, German / Dads side, Lithuanian.

Chilli
10-17-2006, 05:19 PM
Both mum & dad's side are from Germany.

Zippy
10-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Mom's side form Germany and my dad's side is spanish

RedHedd
10-17-2006, 06:19 PM
My parents are Russian & Lithuanian. They were born in Harbin, China, and came to this country in 1950.

MajesticCollies
10-17-2006, 08:08 PM
German!!!

k9krazee
10-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Danish and German!

caseysmom
10-17-2006, 08:17 PM
Half german and half a mix of irish, scottish and who knows what :D

cali
10-17-2006, 08:17 PM
my mom was born in Finland and raised there till she was 6, her enitre side of the family is from Finland, most still live there. my dad was born and raised in Canada but his parents are from Scotland and Ireland

cyber-sibes
10-17-2006, 09:42 PM
My paternal grandparents were from Czechoslovakia and my maternal grandparents were from Canada (mostly French Canadians, and a dash of MicMac Indians) My parents were both born in the US.

zoomer
10-17-2006, 09:45 PM
We came from France so we are sort of French but they say we are not French because we changed to Germany so quickly... so we're sort of French and sort of German... LOL

Catty1
10-17-2006, 09:50 PM
Mom is first-generation Canadian - her parents came from Rowena (pr ROV-na) in central Ukraine.

Dad? Scottish and English - the other half Swedish. His grandad came over from Aberdeen in the late 1800's.

Dad's mom - the Swedish bit - was born in Washington state, came north to Canada when she was 16, and said "warshington" til she was 92! :)

Giselle
10-17-2006, 10:53 PM
100% Chinese. :)

I believe I'm first-generation? My mother and father were both immigrants.

Almita
10-17-2006, 10:58 PM
my dad is mexican, and part arabian.

my mom is italian, mexican, and part german.

So i would mostly say, Mexico, and Italy which are the most in them.

K9karen
10-18-2006, 01:37 AM
Dad's folks were Russian
Mom's folks were Polish
My parents were 1st generation Americans

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-18-2006, 07:02 AM
I am ALL Belgian, 100% Flemish (living in Flanders) :)

trayi52
10-18-2006, 07:20 AM
My dad's side of the family is from Germany. My moms side is from East TN. She was from one of the original Hatfields.

Willie :)

mugsy
10-18-2006, 07:28 AM
My mother's side is mostly English and German (I think some of them may have been Irish), but, they have almost all been in the U.S. (or what was to become the U.S.) since at least the late 1700s. My father's side is Irish and Swedish. My great grandmother immigrated here from Ireland and then the Swedes would be (if my memory serves) my great grandparents.

elizabethann
10-18-2006, 07:33 AM
Both of my Grandparents came over on the boats from Poland.

I am a 100% Polish-American!

:)

mruffruff
10-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Polish/German and French Canadian

Karen
10-18-2006, 10:22 AM
You asked:

Swedish
English
French Canadian
MicMac
Norman French
Scottish
Irish
German
maybe a wee bit Spanish
and who knows what else!

also known as 100% American Mixed Breed! :)

Sonia59
10-18-2006, 11:43 AM
I was born in France but my mother is Serbian and my grandfather (from my father's side) was Italian.

My Peanuts
10-18-2006, 12:14 PM
Both my parents were born here and so were my grandparents on my mom's side. My mom's side is originally from Italy. She is 100% Italian. My dad's side is mostly from Ukraine, but because borders changed so much we recently discovered that we are Austrian because when my great grandpa was there is was Austria. Also, I'm told were a little Polish.

I am 50% Italian and the other 50% is Ukrainian, Polish, and Austrian. :)

Interesting side note, my grandma on my dad’s side was a slave in Auschwitz concentration camp in WWII. We are not Jewish so she was there as a slave. Her sister, who would have been my great aunt, froze/starved to death working next to my grandma. My grandma told me she was beaten for taking a bite out of and apple that they were picking because she was so hungry.

She was sleep one night when the Nazis came in an raided her home. She was 8 years old and that was the last time she saw her parents.

My grandpa was a soldier in WWII. I believe they met and married in the U.S., but how romantic it must have been to know that he was fighting to save her and people like her.

I know it’s a bit morbid, but it’s part of who I am, I felt like sharing it. I never knew a thing about it until a high school assignment came up in which we had to either write a long paper or interview a Holocaust survivor. I remember thinking how am I going to find a Holocaust survivor, and that’s when my dad told me about my grandma. I called her right away. She is still alive, but my grandpa passed away before I was born.

Miss Z
10-18-2006, 12:19 PM
I'm all English except for a little infusion of Welsh that came from my late grandfather.

caseysmom
10-18-2006, 12:45 PM
Thats really interesting, thanks for sharing. I didn't know they kept non jewish people as slaves....what an ugly blemish on history.

Both my parents were born here and so were my grandparents on my mom's side. My mom's side is originally from Italy. She is 100% Italian. My dad's side is mostly from Ukraine, but because borders changed so much we recently discovered that we are Austrian because when my great grandpa was there is was Austria. Also, I'm told were a little Polish.

I am 50% Italian and the other 50% is Ukrainian, Polish, and Austrian. :)

Interesting side note, my grandma on my dad’s side was a slave in Auschwitz concentration camp in WWII. We are not Jewish so she was there as a slave. Her sister, who would have been my great aunt, froze/starved to death working next to my grandma. My grandma told me she was beaten for taking a bite out of and apple that they were picking because she was so hungry.

She was sleep one night when the Nazis came in an raided her home. She was 8 years old and that was the last time she saw her parents.

My grandpa was a soldier in WWII. I believe they met and married in the U.S., but how romantic it must have been to know that he was fighting to save her and people like her.

I know it’s a bit morbid, but it’s part of who I am, I felt like sharing it. I never knew a thing about it until a high school assignment came up in which we had to either write a long paper or interview a Holocaust survivor. I remember thinking how am I going to find a Holocaust survivor, and that’s when my dad told me about my grandma. I called her right away. She is still alive, but my grandpa passed away before I was born.

angelbow20
10-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Hungary is near austria. My grandmother actually tried to save alittle jewish boy when she was younger but the nazi's found out and told her if she didnt leave the little boy at the gates they were going to take my grandmother, her family and the little boy and kill them, so she dropped him off at the gates but before she did she filled his pockets full of cookies and treats and then walked away crying, but if she didnt leave him there he as well as my family would have died and I and many of my cousins and aunts and uncles wouldnt be here today. my grandfather was in the war i think i dont remember i would love to ask him but he died like 7 yrs ago :( . I do know he came here through Ellis Island or i dont know how its spelled exactly and they were either going to come to America or Austria and chose to come here.

*iluvskipper*
10-18-2006, 02:48 PM
my moms side is 100% nerweigian and my dads side is german and norwegian so that makes me.... 75% norwegian and 25% german!

Crazy-Cat-Lover
10-18-2006, 03:25 PM
My Mom and Dad were both born in Canada. I am 100% Canadian... :p

Blue_Frog
10-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Mom and Dad were both born in Canda, but ...

Moms Side = Her parents (my oma and opa) were from Latvia, and settled in Canada.

Dads Side = His mom (my nana) is English/Irish, and my Grandpa was born in Toronto, and that goes back a few generations (but somewhere way back from England)

:)

Suki Wingy
10-18-2006, 05:19 PM
All of my relatives have been in America for several generations, but in the mid 1800s I had relatives immagrate from Ireland, Germany, and Wales mostly.

Catty1
04-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Mom's side - Ukrainian (her parents were from Rowena in Central Ukraine)

Dad - Scottish and Swedish, with a fraction of English on his dad's side.

As I heard a comedian say, "As a Canadian, I am a genetic cul-de-sac!" :D

slick
04-11-2007, 12:02 AM
English, Irish and Scottish. What a combination!!! :eek:

jenfer
04-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Another 100% Chinese here too. Both parents and grandparents are 100% Chinese as well. :)

wombat2u2004
04-11-2007, 12:25 AM
All English and Irish here.
Wombat

buckner
04-11-2007, 08:03 AM
My mom's mom's side of the family is predominantly Cherokee Indian. I know my mom's dad is what I'd call a mutt - he's Scotish, Irish, and a little bit crazy. :)

My dad's side of the family is predominantly German. His paternal grandparents were full German. I'm unsure about his mother's side of the family. I've never asked them, nor do I think they'd be 100% what they are.

All I REALLY know is that my last name is German and that came from my dad.

Sirrahsim
04-11-2007, 08:10 AM
100% typical American mutt and proud of it :)

CountryWolf07
04-11-2007, 12:22 PM
My mom's side is from Ireland and Italy.. my dad's side, I think, Germany, I don't know.. but I definitely have A LOT of Irish/Italian in me. :)

sumbirdy
04-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Mom's side is German and Indian
Dad's side is Irish and something else. (can't remember) But they were both born in America.

M&M's Mommy
04-11-2007, 05:15 PM
100% pure-bred Vietnamese :)

binka_nugget
04-11-2007, 05:21 PM
I'm a canadian born Chinese. My mom was born in Fiji (my grandma moved to Fiji from China). My dad was born in China.

Roxyluvsme13
04-11-2007, 05:23 PM
All american I think. :P

carole
04-11-2007, 05:25 PM
All my family is scottish, emigrated to NZ in 1958, when i was six months old.

Marigold2
04-11-2007, 08:35 PM
My family came here from Germany in 1957.

Lillycat
04-19-2007, 09:08 PM
German, Irish and English.....