PDA

View Full Version : Freaking in the "OC"?

RICHARD
10-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Change in dance moves called for
Aliso Niguel High's principal says he will reinstate school dances only if students and parents help halt provocative behavior.
By SALVADOR HERNANDEZ
The Orange County Register
ALISO VIEJO – Aliso Niguel High's principal said he will reconsider his decision to ban school dances only if students and parents pitch in to stop the type of behavior he witnessed during the school's first dance this year.

"If the behavior goes back to what we've seen, we won't be having another one," said Principal Charles Salter.

Salter canceled all school dances for the year immediately after a jungle-themed back-to-school dance on Sept. 8.

Salter sent an e-mail to parents after the dance, at 1:30 a.m., describing students who dressed in sexually suggestive outfits and "freaking" – a style of dance in which partners grind and gyrate against each other.

"How kids dance is not my job," Salter said. "But I have to set guidelines for the school."

Before he reinstates school dances, he is requiring something schools have constantly battled for – increased parental involvement.

"The dances are for the kids, and it's for the parents – they get a night off," Salter said.

There will be no dances until some things are addressed, Salter said. A conference for parents only is scheduled for 11 a.m. Saturday.

Students are expected to have a similar meeting Monday during lunch.

Salter said a committee to create new school dance behavior and dress code guidelines will be formed. It will comprise students, parents and administrators. No timeline has been set, he said.

"We really need more people helping us," Salter said. "We always get some volunteers, but it's always the same ones."

About 50 adults chaperone dances, including teachers, administrators and parents, he said. That may seem like a lot but, it's not enough when the dance floor is packed with 900 to 1,500 students, he said.

In the meantime, students have been asked to study up on current student behavior policies. They hope dances will be reinstated in time for homecoming on Oct. 28.

"I have no clue how we're going to earn the dances back," said Nick Groeniger, 17.

The ban has been especially hard on seniors, said Groeniger, who plays football at the school.

"It's my senior year, and I don't want to go without a homecoming," he said.

Karen Groeniger, Nick's mother, said she believed the decision might have been a bit harsh because it punished the entire school for the actions of a few students.

Students' attire should be checked at the door before they enter the dance, Karen Groeniger said. "Freak" dancing can also get out of hand, but it should be handled on a case-by-case basis, she said.

"Dancing has always been the issue for as long as I can remember," she said. If she needs to volunteer to get dances back, she said she would.

"This has been a long time coming," Salter said, pointing out he has talked to students and parents about "freaking" since he became principal of the school in 2001. "Sometimes you just say, 'enough is enough.' "

--------------------------

Aw hell.

It ain't gonna be an issue in some homes until the 16 year old dad moves into the den..

Jessika
10-17-2006, 01:11 PM
I hated going to school dances sometimes because they danced so... provocatively, we referred to it as "having sex on the dance floor". It was gross to watch, it really was, and I could not BELIEVE some of those kids got away with stuff. Grinding is DEFINITELY not appropriate, ESPECiALLY at a school function! It's just... ugh.

Edwina's Secretary
10-17-2006, 04:27 PM
Karen Groeniger, Nick's mother, said she believed the decision might have been a bit harsh because it punished the entire school for the actions of a few students.

"Dancing has always been the issue for as long as I can remember," she said. If she needs to volunteer to get dances back, she said she would.

Almost...parental responsibility.....

What are you doing in my backyard, RICHARD?????

RICHARD
10-19-2006, 02:57 PM
Almost...parental responsibility.....

What are you doing in my backyard, RICHARD?????

Lol,

Playing in the pool and lighting candles.

CathyBogart
10-19-2006, 03:37 PM
*chuckles* There was some of that at my school....I found it odd that the parents who were volunteering would watch the way we danced so closely but never seemed to catch the dozen or so people wandering around with flasks of booze. :rolleyes: