PDA

View Full Version : Pearl's One Lucky Kitty!!!

krazyaboutkatz
10-17-2006, 12:03 AM
My Pearl is one very lucky little girl. I was cleaning out the litterboxes tonight and she decided to go poo in the one that I had just cleaned out. I finished cleaning the others and then decided to clean the one that she had just used. She had some mushy poo which is unlike her and I thought I also saw some red in it. My first thought was blood.:eek: No, it wasn't blood but it was several inches of red elastic string.:eek: I'm not sure when she swallowed this but I'm so glad that it was able to pass through her.

My mom was at a garage sale a few weeks ago and bought my cats some cat toys. One of them was a furry mouse toy that squeaks when they bat at it. It had some red elastic string attached to it and wasn't tied to anything so I tied it to some red string that I already had. The cats loved it especially Pearl and Ziggy. They ended up tearing it off the other string so I just left it off but it still had some of the red elastic string attached to it. I've now thrown the whole mouse away. The head was starting to come off any way and there's some more plastic parts inside. No toy is worth indangering my furkids.

Pearl's been acting normally the whole time so I'm pretty sure that everything will be fine. Just in case though, please send some prayers and positive thoughts her way. I think I'll call my vets office tomorrow morning to ask them advice about this just to be on the safe side. Thanks for reading this long post.:)

kimlovescats
10-17-2006, 12:51 AM
She probably passed all of it! Pearl, you musn't eat your toys! ;)

krazyaboutkatz
10-17-2006, 02:04 AM
Yes, I'm a worry wart so I decided to call the ER for some advice.:o The lady was surprised to hear that Pearl had passed the red elastic string. She said to just watch her and if she starts vomiting, becomes lethargic, or has diarrhea then I should be concerned. She feels that she has already passed all of it so she should be fine. I sure hope so.:)

I told her that Pearl's been acting normally except that she's been very hungry and eating a lot more than normal lately. She said that this is because it's getting cooler and cats will eat more during the cold weather even indoor cats.They usually gain 1/2-1lb during the cooler months and then will lose 1/2-1lb during the warmer months when they eat less.Their bodies need the extra weight for insulation to help keep them warm. I never knew this about indoor cats so I learned something new tonight.:) The lady also has 6 indoor only cats.:D

K & L
10-17-2006, 05:25 AM
OMG Tracey that is so scary. I'm glad she seemed to have passed this OK. Please keep me updated on her. Pearl you be careful little girl. Your mom's had enough worries lately!

Laura's Babies
10-17-2006, 08:45 AM
Giz is bad about chewing on stuff like that and I have caught her chewing on elastic string before. I learned a long time ago not to have any where they can get it. Your scare with Pearl will educate a lot of people so thanks for posting it.

catmandu
10-17-2006, 09:45 AM
We Are Sending Prayers To Pearl , That There Are Ill Effects From Her Swallowing That String.
Cats Can Be Very Silly Swallowing Things That Not Only Dont Taste Good, But Can Hurt Them.

Zippy
10-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Prayers for Pearl.Pumpkin once ate thread :rolleyes: but she was ok becasue we pulled most of it out of her mouth.

Don Juan's mom
10-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Oh, Pearl,you silly girl! You are a CARNIVORE, and string is not meat!

Although, I suppose it tasted better than those ficus leaves Don Juan insists on munching. :rolleyes:

Aunt Liz

jazzcat
10-17-2006, 02:41 PM
Oh Pearl you are lucky!!!! I'm so glad it passed and hopefully it's all over.

I'm dealing with the same thing. Rocky ate a white plastic strip off a bandaid. I was putting a new bandaid on one of my icisions and laid the two little plastic strips on the sink. When I finished I looked up to see Rocky gulping trying to swollow and only one strip left. I've been watching him closely and so far so good. He's eating, playing and acting fine. I'm trying to watch for it in the litter box but that is hard with 5 cats. Crazy cat, he will eat anything plastic.