PDA

View Full Version : Isnt this bad too?

buttercup132
10-16-2006, 08:34 PM
I know taking peoples pictures off the net and using them without permission (even for playing a game) is bad . But is taking a picture of a strangers pet and posting it on here without there permission pretty much the same thing? How do you know if they want there pet to be put on a site? I notice that there is someone on here that dose that and I was just wondering.

MajesticCollies
10-16-2006, 08:45 PM
I feel if there is no personal financial gain in it, I personally don't think it is a big deal. I guess if you post them on the internet highway for millions to see you can use them unless they are copyright. I have come across pics that you can click on but the site wont let you copy them.

Kfamr
10-16-2006, 08:45 PM
Maybe they've asked permission of that person? :confused: Who are you talking about specifically - which thread/s?

People are always thrilled when I ask to take pictures of their dogs at the beach, some even ask for me to send them by e-mail. I believe a photographer has the right to do with whatever they chose to do with photos they've taken. However, I may be misinformed.

BC_MoM
10-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Well, as long as you take the picture - I see nothing wrong with it.

Whenever I'm at the dog park and take a picture of someones dog, I ask if it's alright first. But after the photo is taken, I post it around on forums and such if I want. If I know the person, I always send them a copy. :)

Giselle
10-16-2006, 11:10 PM
I think it's just "bad" to take pictures of other people's kids and use those pictures without permission. THEN, you got a problem. I don't think it applies to dogs, though. Otherwise, I couldn't possibly take pictures of Giselle at the park.

luvofallhorses
10-16-2006, 11:56 PM
I think it's just "bad" to take pictures of other people's kids and use those pictures without permission. THEN, you got a problem. I don't think it applies to dogs, though. Otherwise, I couldn't possibly take pictures of Giselle at the park.

yeah, I agree. I took pics of my neighbor's dogs and they don't care if I do AND and I have asked permission from the lady who runs the shelter if I could take pics of the shelter animals and she said yes... if that's what you mean? :confused: and yeah, who exactly are you talking about ??? I hope it's not me, lol. btw I wouldn't dare post pics of my friend's kids on the internet.

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-17-2006, 12:13 AM
I've taken pictures of my friends' and relatives' dogs numerous times and often post them in threads. I don't think it's really a big deal, and to be honest, I never really thought much of it..

Karen
10-17-2006, 12:22 AM
If you are taking a stranger's picture and planning to sell it, you need to obtain a release from them. However, posting a stranger's picture, with no financial gain, and without identifying that person in any way, is pretty harmless.

Flatcoatluver
10-17-2006, 12:27 AM
If you are taking a stranger's picture and planning to sell it, you need to obtain a release from them. However, posting a stranger's picture, with no financial gain, and without identifying that person in any way, is pretty harmless.
Thanks for clearing this up, I would love to post pictures of everybody's dogs at work, but I wasn't sure if it was ok.

Jessika
10-17-2006, 01:22 AM
Not to mention completely legal as well. :) And that applies to pets, too.

Now of course if the pet owners find out later on and don't feel comfortable and ask the pictures be taken down... no big deal. But as a photographer, if you take the picture, you own the picture and can distribute it as you will if there is no financial gain and you don't give their identity out, etc.

zoomer
10-17-2006, 09:33 AM
I say it's absoulutly fine if you post it, and totally legal, but if you steal it and say it's your pet, I think THAT is wrong. But for example, if you're using a picture off the net for the Dog Breed thing in Dog Breeds, you post a picture, you're not stealing it or saying it's your dog, so it's fine. Besides, if they don't want their pictures copied there is such thing as you cannot right click on the pictures. For example go to a breed page on DogBreedInfo, it wont let you copy. Same with people's photos, they can make their site copy-proof.

Argranade
10-17-2006, 10:00 AM
I would not mine realy if someone took a photo of my pet, it could show how much they realy like it or maybe they like that breed or somthen.

I would say taking as strangers photo with out asking and putting it on the internet is MUCH worse. ;)

Lori Jordan
10-17-2006, 12:03 PM
One thing you need to take into consideration is this is the internet,I dont think i would really care,I do not post any personal pictures on here,My dogs yes,and really what could be done with them,i think if people dont want there pics used they can put a right click protection on them which takes 2 seconds,Then everyone is happy.

Miss Z
10-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Anyone who posts a picture on the internet has to be aware that people might copy it. Posting it on a board or using it in a presentation does no harm, but, as said before, when there is financial gain it is wrong. If people wanna make money from pictures, they should take their own pictures, IMO.

Jessika
10-17-2006, 01:07 PM
One thing you need to take into consideration is this is the internet,I dont think i would really care,I do not post any personal pictures on here,My dogs yes,and really what could be done with them,i think if people dont want there pics used they can put a right click protection on them which takes 2 seconds,Then everyone is happy.
There are so many workarounds for that, though. The moment you view an image in your browser window, the image has already been downloaded to your hard drive via internet cache. And right-click scripts (95% of the ones used, anyway) only work in IE-powered browsers. They don't work in FireFox or Mozilla, etc, at all.

My suggestion is watermarking, or only putting up poor-quality high-compressed images on the net. KEEP the originals on your hard drive with the EXIF information (most, if not all, digital cameras nowdays include EXIF information the moment the image is captured). Just remember to never edit the originals and save over the originals. If you want to edit, save as, that way the exif will be intact on the original and that way if there ever IS a dispute, the copy you put on the net (so long as you did not upload the original) will not have the EXIF information but your original image will, as proof you took the image. (of course, yes there ARE programs out there that you can use to add or copy exif information from another picture)

Of course there are lots of other methods, but this is one I prefer.

But bottom line... if you don't want an image stolen... don't upload it anywhere on the inet.

Randi
10-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Well, as long as a picture isn't copyrighted, I don't see anything wrong with using it in a forum like this. Since most pictures on the web are jpg's and only 72 dpi, you would not be able to do anything serious (making money) with it, as for printing, it would have to be at least 300 dpi, preferably more.

buttercup132
10-17-2006, 01:58 PM
Otherwise, I couldn't possibly take pictures of Giselle at the park. No I dont mean if theres a dog in the background , If you went and took a picture of someones dog that you didnt ask permission to even take the picture and then you go and post it on the internet I think is wrong.

I took pics of my neighbor's dogs and they don't care if I do AND and I have asked permission from the lady who runs the shelter if I could take pics of the shelter animals and she said yes No I mean without permisson. And you know your naighbours , like if its family or friends then obviously its going to be ok.

put a right click protection on them which takes 2 seconds Not true you can easily press print screen and paste it into a paint program and save it, and PT dosent have that function.

People who asked who the person was I have pmed you so I dont get in trouble.

Jessika
10-17-2006, 02:02 PM
But if there are laws stating it is ok to photograph people and distribute the copy so long as you are not making money off their likeness, I would imagine it would be legal to do so with a pet as well. Of course, if you feel it is wrong, then you don't have to do it. But for those who do do it, it isn't wrong legaly. They aren't claiming to own the animal, just the photograph, and aren't making money off of it.

Also, that is another right-click script workaround, print-screen. I'd almost forgot that one ;)

Or you can just disable javascript in your browser (including IE) and save the image that way, too.

Lori Jordan
10-18-2006, 08:08 AM
As i have said before anything to do with the internet is taking a chance,People know what can happen,by posting pictures,My daughter looks at pictures of dogs all the time and if there is one she thinks is cute or whatever the case is she will use it with her background,Same with her projects she just did one on Bernese mountain dogs,and had to have pictures,I'm not sure how i feel but this is the internet everything has to be taken into consideration right?