PDA

View Full Version : Oh, no Maggy! What to do?!?!?!

Lobodeb
10-16-2006, 01:29 PM
It's official. Hugito is fully mobile. He's crawling around like a pro. He's fast too! And he loves the dogs. (Remind me to update you on the newest addition). But he doesn't yet know how to be nice to the doggies. He pulls their fur. Granted it doesn't feel good but Bonnie and Emma don't do anything but get away from him. Maggy on the other hand, bites. Luckily, we've been able to pull him away before she gets him, so nothing has happened, until today. He was crawling around, she walked by him, he grabbed her, she bit him, in the face. No skin was broken, but she did leave a red mark and he cried. He NEVER cries! The doctor took blood from him and he didn't cry. She got him good!

I can't have her snapping at him like that. I've tried to keep them apart, but I can only move so quickly.

What can I do?

lizbud
10-16-2006, 05:40 PM
I'd get and use a playpen. You can put lots of favorite toddler toys inside
to keep him busy. I always used a playpen when I was busy doing laundry
or cooking, etc & wasn't able to watch my kids crawing around.Use it just
when you are tied up for awhile doing other things.

Vela
10-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Unfortuantely it's your responsibilty to keep them apart, including crating or using baby gates or whatever means necessary to prevent your toddler from grabbing the dog so he doesn't get hurt. It's not fair to her to have to be grabbed either, she doesn't understnad it and it probably hurts. Use crates or baby gates to keep them separated, and a playpen is also probably a good idea if you cant directly watch him or them. That's really the only solution. You can take the gates down when hes napping or in bed and let her have free roaming again but you dont want your baby to be harmed or the dog to have to be removed.

luvofallhorses
10-16-2006, 11:02 PM
how old is Maggy? you could always put her in a crate when he is out and about and teach him to be nice to them. :)

Lobodeb
10-17-2006, 12:42 PM
how old is Maggy? you could always put her in a crate when he is out and about and teach him to be nice to them. :)

Maggy is 6.

She's always been snippy around kids, so I guess I'm expecting her to be different because this is my baby now. Stupid I know.

I'll just keep her away from him until he can be more gentile with her.

Thanks for your help and suggesitons, everyone.