PDA

View Full Version : Is your property fenced?

jenluckenbach
10-16-2006, 06:51 AM
This poll is prompted by something I have been noticing when I scan petfinder.com. Most dog rescue groups insist that your property must be fenced in order to adopt through them.

I feel you can be good dog parents without a fence.

So I thought I'd ask you all if YOU have a fenced area for your dogs.

Daisy and Delilah
10-16-2006, 06:56 AM
My yard is not fenced all the way around. It would be great to let them run free in the back yard but I feel like a person can still be a good pet owner without a fence. I know my kids have to have a fenced in yard for their crew. My Granddogs thrive on their fence play sessions. Those dogs have so much energy, they need extra fence time in addition to their walkies. Plus, they love to overlook the neighborhood for predators ;)

Chilli
10-16-2006, 07:12 AM
Our yard isn't fenced at all.
It will be at the start of next year, though.

cyber-sibes
10-16-2006, 07:12 AM
Huskies MUST be fenced, preferably with at least 6' high fencing and often people bury fencing a foot underground to prevent escapes. Some huskies will "untwine" metal fencing. We have 6' kennel fencing. Sherman prefers digging, so most of the fence perimeter now has cement blocks buried in his holes & filled in with dirt. We used to have 4' fencing, Star would leap over it in one bound, climb up it in the corners, and pull her doggie friends over the top of it into our yard. She's so creative. I think being a good doggy owner means doing whatever is in the best interest of your chosen breed to keep them safe.

pitc9
10-16-2006, 07:32 AM
Fenced!
We have a wooden fence, the back corner of our yard is 6' tall and the rest is 4'. Before we adopted Buddy, Sierra would jumped the fence to play with the neighborhood dogs! But not anymore! :D

cloverfdx
10-16-2006, 08:58 AM
Ours is completly fenced with atleast 5" fencing. I would not have dogs in an unfenced yard. Our kids have access to inside and outside at all times and love this set up, they spend alot of time outside in the yard playing at this time of year (Before it gets too hot).

mruffruff
10-16-2006, 09:03 AM
You CAN be a good doggy parent without a fenced yard.

But it is more difficult. Most shelters require a fence because they recognize that a lot of people begin by taking their dogs for walks and end up just letting them out in the yard. "I just let him out for 5 minutes! Really, he never leaves the yard!" is an often heard comment when a dog goes missing.

I couldn't have dogs without good fences. Mine is 6 foot wooden fence all around the back yard. Keeps other dogs (and dognappers) away and my dogs in.

Toby's my baby
10-16-2006, 09:05 AM
Our yard is not fenced. I would LOVE to get it fenced, but, my grandpa will not go for it. (he lives in a trailor house in our yard) I live on a HUGE farm, so the dogs just go wherever it is that they please. Autumn and Maggie love to go run out in the field and hunt mice. I have had dogs on this farm my whole life, and I have never had one wander off. They all stay in the yard and warn off anything that shouldn't be here.

I agree, having a fenced in yard is a must for some dogs. I would prefer having a fenced in area for the dogs, but at the moment we don't have anything. When we move though, we will have a fenced in area.

zoomer
10-16-2006, 09:14 AM
Yes, the backyard is fenced, and I am glad!

Cookiebaker
10-16-2006, 09:31 AM
Our yard is not fenced *yet*. It is high on our priority list for next spring after we build a deck. It has been on our list since Malone was a puppy, but there were too many other pressing house projects. One of the benefits that we DO have is a 3/4 mile trail that runs right beside our house (snowmobilers use it in the wintertime, but the rest of the time it is pretty much unused); and we let the two dogs run and play 2-3 times per week. The other days, we take them for a leashed walk up the road.

JenBKR
10-16-2006, 09:35 AM
Our back yard is fenced. 6' privacy fencing. It wasn't when we first got Roscoe, but he ran away several times so we decided to go ahead and fence the yard, it's been much better since we did.

BC_MoM
10-16-2006, 09:35 AM
Nope.. not fenced. The only fence we have is the fence going between us and the neighbour.

My dogs have learned since day one that if they leave the yard before me, they'll be in trouble.

They're never out there unattended - and they wouldn't be even if we had a fence. I never have problems with them darting out of the yard. :)

Both applications for our dogs asked if we had a fenced backyard - we answered yes - but we really don't.

jenluckenbach
10-16-2006, 09:41 AM
Interesting. Actually, my back yard IS fenced too (I live in a city row....ALL the yards are fenced), but it is only 4 foot high on one side, 6 foot on the other.

I too prefer a fenced yard, but I still think it is a bit restricting to not adopt ANY dog to a person with no fence. :( (and yes, I realize that certain breeds need it more than others)

ramanth
10-16-2006, 09:49 AM
We live in an apartment, so no, the yard is not fenced. There is a small fenced in area designated for pooping in, but it's not big enough to enjoy a nice run in.

Logan
10-16-2006, 09:52 AM
We have fencing around a pretty large portion of our yard, but also fencing, inside of that, for the dogs, which is a bit higher. They are never outside of fencing, without leashes, except for Lilly, who is trustworthy, off leash.

Pembroke_Corgi
10-16-2006, 09:55 AM
Yes, our yard is fenced. We don't own our house, but I will only rent houses with fenced yards.

This is just me, but I would never let my dogs out off-leash even though Adele and Vallis are pretty reliable (Marta is not) just because of all the potential dangers. A few years ago we lived in a house without a fenced in yard and it was awful taking the dogs out in all kinds of weather.

It's so much easier to just open the door for them! With 3 dogs, I wouldn't have it any other way. :) If we only had one dog it wouldn't matter quite as much because you'd only have to worry about taking one out...but with more than that it gets hard taking them all out and making sure they do their business.

luvofallhorses
10-16-2006, 10:04 AM
yep, both our backyard and front yard is fenced. :)

3GSDMom
10-16-2006, 10:09 AM
My backyard is fully fenced. We have a 6 foot wooden privacy fence on top of a 3 foot block wall on two sides of the yard, the other side is a 6 foot block wall. We have three gate (all three are locked at ALL times). Two wooden gates (one 6 feet tall, the other 9 feet tall) and a 6 foot iron gate.
;)

dappledoxie
10-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Our yard isn't fenced but I plan on it being done as soon as I can get it done. :)

GoldenLuv
10-16-2006, 10:14 AM
Yes we have the metal fence but we are gonna be putting up a privacey fence maybe b4 winter hits and if not then early spring

Corinna
10-16-2006, 10:19 AM
Had a 4 ft fence before getting Tyson but now have a 6ft cedar fence he still scles it to peek out at people going by.

cali
10-16-2006, 10:38 AM
fully fenced, I dont think I could deal with an unfenced yard lol mostly because of my moms dogs, they WOULD leave, my 3 are a differnt story all together, I let them off leash in unfenced areas on a regular basis. Happy and Misty I would never leave unsupervised in an unfenced area, but Happy I leave loose in peoples front yards all the time when she is not allowed in, she doesnt go anywhere, I just periodily check on her to make sure she is behaving.

Glacier
10-16-2006, 11:22 AM
All four acres are fenced, a minimum of six feet high, up to 8 in some sections, most of it has a foot of wire buried underground, there is a foot wide section flat pinned to the ground as well to prevent digging under. It's split into six pens. To get anywhere in my yard, including the driveway, you have to go through a minimum of two gates. All the gates have latches with locks on them. The driveway gates have at least three different latches each. We use game fencing, the stuff that elk and bison ranchers use. Chainlink is a ladder to several of my dogs.

Even with the fence, my dogs have been known to escape. Delta got out of the fenced yard and was gone for a month. I have to watch which pen Anvik is in. He can clear a six foot fence without breaking his stride. Mac chooses to stay inside the fence now, but the first winter we had him, he let himself out at will. I'm sure he still could, he's just more comfortable inside now. Some of the dogs are allowed off-leash on walks. Some of them never are!

Even if I tethered my dogs, like most mushers, I would have a fenced dog yard. There are too many predators in this area who think dogs are an easy dinner.

I would be extremely hesitant about adopting a dog with a drop of husky in it's blood to someone without a fenced yard.

Flatcoatluver
10-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Nope.. not fenced. The only fence we have is the fence going between us and the neighbour.

That's the same with us. Except in our field we have chicken wire so our ducks don't get out that way, it helps the dogs stay in the yard also. If the dogs see a cat in our yard, they can only chase the cat through the drive way.

Miss Z
10-16-2006, 11:46 AM
I don't have a dog, but our back garden is fenced. In the UK, the majority of properties have fences, unless you live on a farm or you are 'doing up' an old property. It's actually becoming quite popular now to have not just fences but walls all the way round the property, and to have big cast iron gates on the driveway which are remote controlled. Costs a bomb though and it would look kind of silly on our house ;)

Ginger's Mom
10-16-2006, 01:01 PM
No, we live in a condo, so no yard. And yes I did get my dog from a rescue group. I actually talked to (well e-mailed back and forth) with one of the workers before going down to see the pups, and explained that I lived in a condo, but that I had lived in either an apartment or condo with my first dog for thirteen and a half years, and that I was aware of what was required to keep the dog safe and excersized. However, having said that I would LOVE to have a backyard that we could just go out and play ball or frisbee in whenever Ginger wanted (and she does ask to do that), instead of needing time to go the the park and such.

IRescue452
10-16-2006, 01:06 PM
Our yard is half fenced because the neighbors have big ugly privacy fences. We don't fence though. The current dog and last dog were yard trained and for any dogs we don't trust we use a tie out when we can't be out with them. There aren't many times that the dogs are out without supervision.

Another problem altogether is when you say tie out most places immediately turn you down. They automatically think the dog is left out alone for long periods of time. We just use the tie out for untrustable dogs when they go out to the bathroom alone or when we are out in the yard with the untrustable dog. They are never tied out alone for any period of time.

Danegirl2208
10-16-2006, 02:05 PM
yes...we have a 6ft block fence around our backyard.

Husky15
10-16-2006, 02:06 PM
We do not have fencing. If we end up getting our own piece of land in the not so distant future then I would want it to be fenced so we could let our dog(s) (we may get another if we have a piece of land) run free around the portion of the yard that is fenced. But Belle can go without a leash we just prefer not to because there are kids that go around on bikes and stuff. We just take her on a leash to go for walks and sometimes to use the bathroom (sometimes we just let her run to the yard, do her thing, then come back in without a leash).

Like the saying goes, better safe than sorry.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
10-16-2006, 02:14 PM
We live in an apartment and don't have our own yard. We have a huge fenced in dog run though. :)

Suki Wingy
10-16-2006, 04:35 PM
the backyard is but not the front or side. The total area fenced is about 60 ft by 50 ft and it's 4 foot chain link.

Tralee
10-16-2006, 04:38 PM
We have an invisible fence. We live near the end of a dirt road and have no need for a privacy fence.

lizbud
10-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Yes, my yard is fenced. That fact was a plus in the decision to buy the
house. There is a peace of mind in knowing you can let the dogs out at
any time,day or night, for a quick potty break.Sure helps when it's dead of
winter & you don't have to bundle up to take them out. :)

Uabassoon
10-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Alexa and I live in a townhouse so we don't have a fenced yard, all of his outings are on leash. We recently sent in a proposal so that we can fence in our back patio, it's maybe around 10X10 with a small portion of it being grass/dirt which would make a good size for a doggie bathroom. We are hoping that we get approved because it would be nice on days when he is being stubborn or on the occasional days it rains.

lvpets2002
10-16-2006, 04:51 PM
:) Oh yes.. I would not have dogs if not..

trezurdelites
10-16-2006, 04:55 PM
I have a fenced acre out of the 5 on my property..

still, I never leave my dogs unattended in the fenced yard..

I have seen many different breeds, LEAP over 5' fences and also DIG their way out under the fences...

I have seen wonderful responsible furbaby caretakers, who had no fenced yards, provided their babies with more exercise at dog parks, and walking and jogging with them......then some caretakers who have fenced yards and just let the dog out to occupy themselves in the yard....

I personally think it is wrong for so many rescue groups to not allow potential adopters because they dont have a fenced yard.....
many would give the animals who so desperately need a home, a wonderful forever home, but because they either dont have a fenced yard, or a yard at all, they are refused adoption..
and the animal just endures its unhappy life in a kennel/shelter environment longer...
unless they are lucky enough to be in foster or in a home environment while waiting to be adopted...

MajesticCollies
10-16-2006, 05:39 PM
To me having a fence is one of the most important aspects to having your dog outside. Not only does it keep them from wandering but keeps the sick wandering dogs,varmits and any other thing away from my Collies. I couldn't bear the fact of something harming them when they are outside playing.

k9krazee
10-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Completely fenced...and I wouldn't have it any other way.

BitsyNaceyDog
10-16-2006, 07:30 PM
We have 5 acres and most of that is fenced. We've taken down a lot of the fence to replace it, but don't yet have the new up yet. We do have a small area fenced for the dogs. They have enough room to run around and play in that area, it's not super small.

chocolatepuppy
10-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Our back yard is fenced. A wooden 6ft along the back and 4ft chain link for the rest. It's about 90ft by 60ft. I love having the fence, it was a dream come true to put it up. I do believe people can be great owners without a fence. :)

bckrazy
10-16-2006, 07:37 PM
We have an almost 1 acre 6 ft privacy fenced yard. =D and Gonzo & Fozzie run around it several times a day, its awesome especially for their zoomies before bedtime. But, Gonzo especially, would not be happy only getting yard exercise every day. He gets 1-2 long walks every day, and they usually go to the dog park or the off-leash park to play frizbee or ball.

I think it does depend on the dog & the owner. You CAN live in an apartment or without a yard and maintain even a high energy dog, but it takes tons & tons of work. I know some one with a happy, high drive Border Collie who lives in an apartment and works. He goes on runs before work and to the fenced park after work, and a dog walker visits him for 30-60 mins in the middle of the day.

dogzr#1
10-16-2006, 07:51 PM
Yup, I have a fence. Our backyard is really big though. Astra loves to do zoomies around it. But I guess she is tired of ours because she dug a hole to the next door neighbors yard. Luckily he didnt have a dog or anything.

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-16-2006, 08:02 PM
Our yard is fenced and I wouldn't have it any other way. It just makes life a whole lot easier I think. :)

Alysser
10-16-2006, 08:21 PM
Most of Sassy's exercise comes from walks, but on occasion I do take her out in the yard. It's fully fenced but it's mostly grounded with concrete, not to good for playing on, and she isn't allowed on the grass because of fleas and ticks. :rolleyes: My yard now isn't really suitable for a dog, so we just walk her alot.

anna_66
10-16-2006, 08:54 PM
I personally think it is wrong for so many rescue groups to not allow potential adopters because they dont have a fenced yard.....
many would give the animals who so desperately need a home, a wonderful forever home, but because they either dont have a fenced yard, or a yard at all, they are refused adoption..
and the animal just endures its unhappy life in a kennel/shelter environment longer...
unless they are lucky enough to be in foster or in a home environment while waiting to be adopted...
I have to say I totally agree with this. A friend of mine is in husky rescue and I can't tell you how many great people have been turned away for this very same reason. I think you can be a good dog owner without a fence.

And in answer to the poll...yes I have a fence. It's a 4 ft chain link fence with electric fencing at the top and bottom. And my gate, it's always locked so no one could open the gate and let them out.

jazzcat
10-16-2006, 09:17 PM
My backyard is fenced in. I wanted a fence so I could let Disney out to run and play since I was never able to leash train her. She would absolutely freak out when I put a collar and leash on her. The shelter felt she must have been abused that way.

.sarah
10-16-2006, 09:27 PM
Our yard is fenced with a 6 ft privacy fence and with four dogs that makes it so much easier. Buck is the only one with a recall reliable enough to bring him back if he saw something to chase. The girls would be gone if a dog, squirrel, etc. walked by.

I have to say though, I don't think it's fair for rescue groups to only adopt to people with fenced in yards. The humane society I work for is that way. When I went to a Petfinder seminar, they had a statistic that said that in general people who live in apartments spend more time with their dogs because they have to walk them a few times a day and take them to parks instead of just letting them out in the yard. That definetly changed my mind about it.

K9karen
10-16-2006, 10:46 PM
Whilst Cody had his 60 foot lead and could run and run (but get caught around bushes), I splurged with Logan and installed a 6 foot fence with bottom, undiggable wire.

She's never ignored. The fence gives her a safe place to run. She still gets walks and I try to take her everywhere with me.

pnance
10-17-2006, 12:04 AM
When I first moved in the side yard was partially fenced, but the larger yard wasn't at all, so the dogs were only allowed in the side yard under supervision, drove me nuts as it did the dogs, they have way to much energy to be cooped up. So I fenced in the larger yard and now the pups have 1/2 an acre to run instead of chewing my furniture because they're board. Don't get me wrong they still spend most of there time in doors, but it's nice to be able to just open the door and let them out without having to make sure they don't disapear... :rolleyes:

sparks19
10-17-2006, 10:36 AM
We don't have a real fence. We just have the invisible fence.

LeahMM
10-17-2006, 10:58 AM
Our entire backyard is fenced. It's about 1/2 of an acre so there is plenty of room for the dogs to tear it up.

lizbud
10-17-2006, 12:02 PM
I wanted to add a P.S. to my previous post. While I do have a fenced yard,
I believe it is very possible to have dogs without a fenced yard.My daughter
has had dogs for years & she's lived in apartments.She is an excellent dog
owner. I do see the point for rescue people for insisting on a fence before
adopting, because some folks seem to tire quickly of the extra work required
by frequent walks & that does put the animal in jeopardy.

lvpets2002
10-17-2006, 12:10 PM
:) I for sure agree.. I stated of my fence due to I live in town.. Now I was in Pets Mart one saturday when this couple was wanting to adopt this dog & the rescue service there that day would not let them have him.. The couple even tried to explain they lived in the country & to much land to fence & the rescue service still would not budge.. Now in this case I would have let them have the dog..
I have to say I totally agree with this. A friend of mine is in husky rescue and I can't tell you how many great people have been turned away for this very same reason. I think you can be a good dog owner without a fence.

And in answer to the poll...yes I have a fence. It's a 4 ft chain link fence with electric fencing at the top and bottom. And my gate, it's always locked so no one could open the gate and let them out.

Pam
10-25-2006, 06:30 AM
When my husband and I purchased each of our homes (we are on our third house since getting married) the first thing we did was erect a fence for each one. I love the fact that my dogs can race and do zoomies whenever they want to. :) There is a condo near me and fences are not allowed. I see many good pet owners walking their dogs every day. I know that takes a high level of commitment to crawl out of bed on a day when it is raining/sleeting/snowing outside to bundle up and go out and walk your dog. I totally admire those folks. We have a 6' wooden privacy fence along the front and sides. Across the back we have a 4' picket fence because our property backs up to woods and hubby wanted to be able to enjoy the view. Fortunately neither Bella nor Ripley are jumpers. :)

To answer the original question, I think that allowing a dog to be adopted out to folks without a fence shouldn't be a strong issue, but I can understand why someone with a fenced yard might just get the *edge* over someone without. There were lots and lots of questions on my application for Ripley. I think if the applications are detailed enough, you can get a pretty good idea what kind of pet owner the person would be. In my opinion, anything is better than living in a shelter.

Pawsitive Thinking
10-25-2006, 06:41 AM
It was until we got Archie who has taken to launching himself at it full pelt!!

Fence 0 - Archie 1

borzoimom
10-25-2006, 07:16 AM
Well- most rescue groups require a fence as well. However I was allowed to Adopt Femka because of my experience with dogs, and even though I didnt have a fence, I had plenty of land. However- although my nearest neighbor is miles away, there is stilll a road. It took months before she was realiable to be off the leash, taking each step a step at the time. Basically the parimeter is the grass, and the "no" area is the edge of the woods. ( posting a picture).
We would have a fence except it doesnt work here. We had a ton of wildlife, and the bears just tear stuff up with the bulk getting over a fence. We tried a piece chain link, smashed down in one day, tried wood, the post was broken, .. also one day I had a buck in the yard and jumped into the lower part of the yard, and when Hottie went after him, he turned on him in the corner of the fence verses just leaving. A borzoi doesnt have alot of speed in woods- just an open field.
The only thing we have found that does work is a web strap that is electrified. It also can be easily repaired if a bear gets mad at it and rips it. The dogs respect anything as a barrier ( in the house I use a 2 foot high piece of cardboard as a gate--.. no kidding..) but- one day Zubin slid into it, and it shook him up pretty bad. Didnt hurt him, but it took days to convince him the yard didnt "bite" him. We took it down..
Now we use- get this one- yellow caution tape. ( picture attached) at the corner of the house that goes to the road. Down below us is just the side of mountain, starting with a cliff.. I dont care if it looks tacky- it works- easy to see if a bear took it down, and not visible from the road. The front driveway has trees on the edge and makes a natural barrier.

CathyBogart
10-25-2006, 12:41 PM
I live in a gated apartment complex, so there is technically a fence. I still would never let Jasper out there unattended of course!

borzoimom
10-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Mine are never out without me also for obvious reasons..

gemini9961
10-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Yes, we have a fence. It's 4" high and is a livestock type fencing. Chain link is pricy as well as privacy and since we have a decent size backyard we had to opt for this type of fencing. I love it though because it goes with the house and area we live in (rural). It works well for the pups except Maggie. She's an escape artist so I have had to reinforce different areas. Each time she finds a new place to get out I have to fix it somehow. :) Sadie has never gotten out, nor has Grant.

critter crazy
10-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Well- most rescue groups require a fence as well. However I was allowed to Adopt Femka because of my experience with dogs, and even though I didnt have a fence, I had plenty of land. However- although my nearest neighbor is miles away, there is stilll a road. It took months before she was realiable to be off the leash, taking each step a step at the time. Basically the parimeter is the grass, and the "no" area is the edge of the woods. ( posting a picture).
We would have a fence except it doesnt work here. We had a ton of wildlife, and the bears just tear stuff up with the bulk getting over a fence. We tried a piece chain link, smashed down in one day, tried wood, the post was broken, .. also one day I had a buck in the yard and jumped into the lower part of the yard, and when Hottie went after him, he turned on him in the corner of the fence verses just leaving. A borzoi doesnt have alot of speed in woods- just an open field.
The only thing we have found that does work is a web strap that is electrified. It also can be easily repaired if a bear gets mad at it and rips it. The dogs respect anything as a barrier ( in the house I use a 2 foot high piece of cardboard as a gate--.. no kidding..) but- one day Zubin slid into it, and it shook him up pretty bad. Didnt hurt him, but it took days to convince him the yard didnt "bite" him. We took it down..
Now we use- get this one- yellow caution tape. ( picture attached) at the corner of the house that goes to the road. Down below us is just the side of mountain, starting with a cliff.. I dont care if it looks tacky- it works- easy to see if a bear took it down, and not visible from the road. The front driveway has trees on the edge and makes a natural barrier.

WOW!! love your area!! And I love the pic you got of the bears! we have a Black Bear here that frequents our property, but have never gotten a pic like that! WOW!

borzoimom
10-25-2006, 01:06 PM
crittercrazy- here are a few more.. we have 25 bears that we can identify as just like with any dog breed, they dont look alike really. Here are chinstrap, Gimpy, girl bear, twins and scarface.

borzoimom
10-25-2006, 01:14 PM
Here is some more wild life. We also have bobcats but I have never been successful in getting pictures. Here are deer, turkeys, grounds hogs, and sharp shinned hawks.

Husky15
10-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Wow. You look like you live at a great place for wildlife. Lucky. I'd give anything to have a family of deer on my lawn :p.

borzoimom
10-25-2006, 01:27 PM
We bought this house for the view... like this.. All of this off our deck.. My dogs love the serenity of the place, but i have to watch them allllll the time with the wildlife. As long as the wild life knows we are out there, its fine.

Husky15
10-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Oh my goodness. Those are the most awesome pictures and that is like the best view. Are those mountains? :eek: Wow. And I bet you'd have to keep an eye on your babies, bears can be pretty dangerous.

borzoimom
10-25-2006, 01:35 PM
We can see 4 towns and 5 ridges.
The bears are basically harmless as long as they know you are around. soooooooo we talk in the yard before the dogs go out and if I have to walk to the mail box etc. These are black bears, and not grizzleys. Interesting place let me tell you.. rofl..
Femka the tricolor, treed a bear twice. Both were rather young- about 200 the first and about 300 the second one.

critter crazy
10-25-2006, 01:36 PM
OMG!! Borzoimom I am so Jealous!!! I would love to live there!!!!:eek:

Husky15
10-25-2006, 01:40 PM
Wow, that's really cool. I'd love to have a great view like that when I get my own home. Yes you would definitely have to watch out. I hear bobcats are pretty vicious too. My sister's best friend lives in a place with woods all around and they have to look back every ten seconds for coyotes and have to bring a weapon of some sort because the bobcats are known to hide in trees and pounce down on a person walking by.

Do you mean like 200/300 pounds? :eek:

borzoimom
10-25-2006, 01:46 PM
Our kids are grown and on their own, but come here for the vacation resort mentality on the weekend.. Here are a few more views... And of the dogs watching the deer when they were babies..

Husky15
10-25-2006, 01:50 PM
Wow. How cute that your doggies are watching the deer and the little groundhog. I'd be watching them too :D.

borzoimom
10-25-2006, 01:51 PM
Wow, that's really cool. I'd love to have a great view like that when I get my own home. Yes you would definitely have to watch out. I hear bobcats are pretty vicious too. My sister's best friend lives in a place with woods all around and they have to look back every ten seconds for coyotes and have to bring a weapon of some sort because the bobcats are known to hide in trees and pounce down on a person walking by.

Do you mean like 200/300 pounds? :eek:
Yes 200-300 pounds for the small ones. We have two bears, Yogi and scarface at over 800 pounds.
Femka already killed a coyote. I hated it happened but Borzois are so fast and their double suspension gallop makes them almost silent. It doesnt sound like 4 feet hitting the ground but rather a foot propells them forward alternating. Then they run along side the "prey" and grab the neck. Instantly dead with a snapped neck.

Husky15
10-25-2006, 02:03 PM
That's amazing how the Borzoi runs. And they can even kill coyotes :eek:. And 800 points is a lot lol. Great picture by the way. Is that Femka?

borzoimom
10-25-2006, 02:08 PM
That is Hottie. Femka is the tri color.. Then the black and white without side spots and taller is Zubin and with smaller black and white with the spots is his sister Galina. This is Femka with her red teddy..
They are like greased lightening!

borzoimom
10-25-2006, 02:24 PM
Here is all 4 left to right- Hottie, Femka, Galina, and Zubin .. I tried to load Zubins show picture but it said it was too big a file but you can see him on my website in show.

Husky15
10-26-2006, 02:56 PM
All your dogs are so beautiful. And that is a great action shot of Hottie (by the way, I LOVE their names - so unique).

borzoimom
10-26-2006, 03:12 PM
I dont know what it is about me, but they never keep their names for long. Hotties real name is "Infared"- which my daughter said "hot dog" which turned into " Hottie", Femka we call precious, Zubin is Ode to Joy after Zubin Metha from when I was in the Westminster choir and the last one I sang with NY PHilharmonic was Beethovens 9th and he was the ninth puppy, and Galina is named for a Russian Ballerina and in Russian it means "illumination" but we call her "weenies.." lol..

Husky15
10-26-2006, 03:16 PM
Haha well all of the names are awesome. When I got my first budgie bird I named him Homer, then JoJo, then Mattie, and then Charlie, and it stayed at Charlie.

molucass
10-26-2006, 04:17 PM
Our back yard is fenced. It's a really big back yard, and the fence is probably about 6 ft. high. I would love it if both the back yard and the front yard was fenced in though.

The only thing about our back yard is, that ever since we moved in there (Last September) there has been a terrible problem with fleas. If you put the dog out for even 5 minutes, they are completely covered in fleas. So, mostly we just take them out in the front yard on a leash, all except for Baby. She doesn't need a leash. She comes with verbal commands and hardly ever leaves our side.

So basically its like our back yard isn't fenced at all since we can't use it.

critter crazy
10-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Our Back yard is fenced, it is quite big. Duke has the whole thing all to himself and just loves it, he sometimes refuses to back in! :D

labmomma
10-26-2006, 05:43 PM
I have 2 acres, out of 10, enclosed with Invisible Fence and it works just great with my 2 Labs. They really do respect their boundaries and been 1 1/2 years since installation.
Labmomma X 2

GreyhoundGirl
10-26-2006, 05:46 PM
Part of our yard is fenced, just because I don't want Jen to go attacking some deer when I'm not with her. :p Our fence is hard to explain, So I drew a diagram, which includes the deck, stairs to the grassy part, and fence. The only reason I got a fence is convenience. Like this is the morning, I can just open the door and she can go "do her duties" while I shower, than she loves to lie on the sunny part or the deck sunbathing. :rolleyes:

I do belive you can be a good dog owner and not have a fence. I never had a fence for Pheobe.

Our fence is chain link, I do not believe in electric fences.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j314/greyhoundgirl_2006/zzzzzzzz.jpg
HeHe Jenny's "route"
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j314/greyhoundgirl_2006/zzzzzzzz-1.jpg

borzoimom
10-26-2006, 06:16 PM
I love your drawing.. lollllllllllllll..

GreyhoundGirl
10-26-2006, 06:21 PM
:o I'm SUCH a good drawer, Eh?

borzoimom
10-26-2006, 08:07 PM
it was just beautiful!!!! lollllllllllllllllllll... Very good... I have it in my mind.. lol...