PDA

View Full Version : You can now turn your dog into a fashionable purse...

areias
10-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Oh my lord. Look what I found:

http://j.b5z.net/i/u/2095741/i//CAJ61VE4.jpg
http://j.b5z.net/i/u/2095741/i//CA4T4TOB.jpg
http://j.b5z.net/i/u/2095741/i//CA2ZSLA3.jpg

Although kind of cute, I find it somewhat disturbing. You can find these on www.doggiekindom.com.

I actually really like their collars, but they are super expensive..everything is over $30.

zoomer
10-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Oh those poor dogs :( I feel so sorry for them. That's just pathetic :mad: I would hate being carried around like that, and it must hurt their tummies, with all the pressure put on it. And being swung around on your shoulder... thats just sickening :mad: :(

WarahGirl1995
10-15-2006, 12:22 PM
It doesnt look like doggie kingdom to me, more like doggie hell.

Dorothy39
10-15-2006, 12:33 PM
Yeah, they look cute , sitting for the picture, but I really couldn't yank onto that handle either!!!

I'd rather see a small dog being carried "inside" a cute purse instead.

lute
10-15-2006, 12:41 PM
that's kinda wierd.

Almita
10-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Why would they do such a thing? Kinda looks like a backpack holder as well. That's odd. Wouldn't they know it can hurt them too?

BC_MoM
10-15-2006, 12:53 PM
Ouch.... :( My tummy hurts just looking at those...... :(

animal_rescue
10-15-2006, 02:02 PM
I know a couple of people that have them and they said their dogs enjoy it a lot, they also have regular purses as well, but they say the dogs have no trouble being carried around in that and they are very careful when the dog is in it. I think the weight is distributed all over the body or something which is why it doesn't hurt the dog.

sammy101
10-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Honestly, i dont think its that bad. Its around their whole body, like animal rescue said, their weight is evenly distributed. I wouldn't buy something like that, but i dont think its too terrible. I'm sure some dogs love it.

BaileysMom
10-15-2006, 03:02 PM
hehe forget about the purses.. i want that yorkie at the top lol.

zoomer
10-15-2006, 03:07 PM
I know a couple of people that have them and they said their dogs enjoy it a lot, they also have regular purses as well, but they say the dogs have no trouble being carried around in that and they are very careful when the dog is in it. I think the weight is distributed all over the body or something which is why it doesn't hurt the dog.

Who would want to be carried around a store all day swinging around on a shoulder? I mean honestly, would you?

CatLuvrs
10-15-2006, 03:10 PM
I am with Baileysmom I say forget the purse I want the Maltese in the middle. ;)

lwds
10-15-2006, 04:11 PM
Who would want to be carried around a store all day swinging around on a shoulder? I mean honestly, would you?

What if they don't let their dog "swing?"

I don't think it's that bad, and I would assume dogs would enjoy them a lot more than a purse as they can get down and walk.

Giselle
10-15-2006, 04:16 PM
It's not that it looks uncomfortable. It's the fact that they're promoting dogs as fashion accessories, in turn promoting BYBs and designer mixes and PMs. THAT'S what pi$$es me off the most.

Miss Z
10-15-2006, 04:21 PM
I just think that looks...odd O__o. Nothing but....odd :confused:

Reminds me of some kind of plastic accessory you get with a Barbie, definitely not what a dog should be :rolleyes:

lwds
10-15-2006, 04:28 PM
It's not that it looks uncomfortable. It's the fact that they're promoting dogs as fashion accessories, in turn promoting BYBs and designer mixes and PMs. THAT'S what pi$$es me off the most.

Carrying around a small dog can do that too.

So you dont like their marketing? I don't like most.

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-15-2006, 04:31 PM
I hate those types of things. My two little guys would be miserable in those. They enjoy walking and exploring just as much as the big dogs do.

Giselle
10-15-2006, 04:31 PM
I don't like people carrying their small dogs around either. Small dogs have no right to sit around in their owner's arms unless danger arises. What better way to instill jealousy which, in turn, promotes aggression? Not to mention these same small dogs that spend eternity in their owner's arms also tend to have a lack of doggy social skills.

I don't like their product. Naturally, I don't like their marketing gimmicks either.

Zippy
10-15-2006, 05:03 PM
That is sick.It looks like it does hurt and if it doesn't it will soon think of the tummy and back problems that the pups will get form that thing :rolleyes:
It is just sick that anyone whould even sell those. :mad:

lwds
10-15-2006, 05:18 PM
I don't like people carrying their small dogs around either. Small dogs have no right to sit around in their owner's arms unless danger arises. What better way to instill jealousy which, in turn, promotes aggression? Not to mention these same small dogs that spend eternity in their owner's arms also tend to have a lack of doggy social skills.

A purse was an excellent way for me to socialize my puppy when I felt he was still too young to touch and walk on the ground, actually. He got to go to plenty of places and get use to being in crowded areas. So no, not all dogs being carried lack social skills or "tend to."

One of my dogs is 6 lbs. He goes places with me, and he enjoys it and loves meeting new people, places, and dogs (and other animals). He walks, and he enjoys exploring new places on the ground. But sometimes there are moments when he can't. Example: he gets tired, or we go to a crowded area. I think being stepped on can do more damage to his social skills and my arms are a lot more uncomfortable for him than a purse is... and that's what matters to me.

Do I have a carrier like the one posted? No. Do I view him as an accessory? Nope, and believe it or not, not every owner who carries their dogs do either.

I don't like their product. Naturally, I don't like their marketing gimmicks either.

I do like the product, even if I wouldn't buy or use it. I see nothing wrong with it. Or should I say, I see nothing wrong with it if used for the right reasons?

animal_rescue
10-15-2006, 05:55 PM

They don't let their dogs swing and honestly I'm going to get one for my poodle, Alex, no he's not an accessory but if he could have it his way, he'd want me to carry him all day long.

BitsyNaceyDog
10-15-2006, 07:03 PM
I don't think they look uncomfortable or bad for the dog. I think it seems like it would be more odd and uncomfortable for the person carrying it.

I don't like people carrying their small dogs around either. Small dogs have no right to sit around in their owner's arms unless danger arises. What better way to instill jealousy which, in turn, promotes aggression? Not to mention these same small dogs that spend eternity in their owner's arms also tend to have a lack of doggy social skills. I couldn't disagree more . It totally depends on the dog and where they are. I certainly don't see how it would instill poor social skills or jealousy aggression. They are still in a social setting, just not looking at people's ankles. My dogs often get more attention while in my arms because they are up and people don't have to get down to pet them. If my dogs want to be down, they they can be down. If they want to be up, they can be up. I'd never force one of my dogs to walk on the ground if they didn't want to.

I have this (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444181 3552&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302035805&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1160955788861&itemNo=15&Nao=12&In=Dog&N=2035805&Ne=2) type of bag that I often use for Buster. Buster is lacking in social skills (he came to us from an abusive home, he's gotten a lot better, but still not great in new places/ with new people). He feels much more secure either in his bag or in my arms.

Giselle
10-15-2006, 08:43 PM
Oh gee whiz, you've completely misunderstood what I was trying to convey. I was saying that dogs who spend 24/7 in their owner's arms tend to develop jealousy which can often lead to aggression. I know Chihuahuas in particular tend to develop jealousy problems which can be exacerbated by being in their owner's arms 24/7. That is NOT to say, however, that it is not okay nor acceptable to carry your dogs in the case that they are tired or if there is danger (i.e. age/health related problems).

I know people are recommended to socialize their puppies by carrying them in their arms because of the risk of parvo and other airborne diseases. However, if your puppy is now a physically strong adult with an uncompromised immune system, there is no reason to carry your dog unnecessarily. The reason that dogs who spend eternity in their owner's arms tend to lack doggy social skills is because they are often never in the presence of other dogs because they're in their owner's arms. I know several dogs who are like this and when they're placed in a doggy gathering, they tense up and freeze. They in turn are cuddled up again and the cycle continues. I'm not saying carrying your puppies is wrong. I'm saying that there is a problem when that behavior becames a dangerous habit.

I have a Pekingese and I'd never put him in that "purse". I'd much rather put him in a carrier that supported his legs.

Alysser
10-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Carrying around a small dog can do that too.

So you dont like their marketing? I don't like most.

No, actually carrying a small dog doesn't promote backyard breeding. I have a maltese and I carry her on walks because she gets tired. When I take her out in the winter she HAS TO wear a coat. My mom won't let me take her otherwise. Maybe it does look "cute" on her but the jacket is also to keep her warm.

As for that "dog purse", I don't think it looks uncomfortable either. I doubt they would be allowed to sell it. I just think it's ridiculous and stupid. They really look like a purse and it looks like a fashion accessory. I don't like it, and I would never put my dog in that. The sad thing is purses are fashion accessories, and they are making dogs into purses, which means the dog is turning into a fashion accessory.

I want the maltese!! :p

MajesticCollies
10-15-2006, 08:58 PM
My question is....Do they come in large breed sizes. lol

Jessika
10-15-2006, 08:58 PM
I never understood stuff like that. Dogs have legs for a reason. I don't have someone to carry ME everywhere. :(

lwds
10-16-2006, 08:55 AM
Oh gee whiz, you've completely misunderstood what I was trying to convey. I was saying that dogs who spend 24/7 in their owner's arms tend to develop jealousy which can often lead to aggression. I know Chihuahuas in particular tend to develop jealousy problems which can be exacerbated by being in their owner's arms 24/7. That is NOT to say, however, that it is not okay nor acceptable to carry your dogs in the case that they are tired or if there is danger (i.e. age/health related problems).

I know people are recommended to socialize their puppies by carrying them in their arms because of the risk of parvo and other airborne diseases. However, if your puppy is now a physically strong adult with an uncompromised immune system, there is no reason to carry your dog unnecessarily. The reason that dogs who spend eternity in their owner's arms tend to lack doggy social skills is because they are often never in the presence of other dogs because they're in their owner's arms. I know several dogs who are like this and when they're placed in a doggy gathering, they tense up and freeze. They in turn are cuddled up again and the cycle continues. I'm not saying carrying your puppies is wrong. I'm saying that there is a problem when that behavior becames a dangerous habit.

But how do you know that everyone who uses carriers or carries their dogs around do it for the wrong reasons (ie: carry their dogs everywhere, baby them too much, etc.) or don't do it responsibly? Is that the reason you don't like the product? Because some dogs have issues and some owners are irresponsible? Your right, I guess I am misunderstanding you.

I think it seems like it would be more odd and uncomfortable for the person carrying it.

Exactly why I won't be getting one :p

lwds
10-16-2006, 08:56 AM
I never understood stuff like that. Dogs have legs for a reason. I don't have someone to carry ME everywhere. :(

If I had someone who would carry me around when I got tired or didn't feel like walking, I would love it. ;)

Anita Cholaine
10-16-2006, 09:34 AM
I don't know what to think about this. For me, dogs are dogs, not fashion accesories. Everyday I see more and more people getting malteses, yorkshires and miniature poodles just because they are 'cute' or 'glamorous', as if they were fashion objects.
I understand that miniature breeds get tired easily, and need to be carried, but you don't really need to take your dog everywhere dressed up to be used as a purse.

lwds
10-16-2006, 07:00 PM
No, actually carrying a small dog doesn't promote backyard breeding.

Didn't see this comment. I don't think anything promotes BYB or PMs except people who support them (and I blame ignorance for that), never said it did. What I did say was that even a small dog being held can contribute to people wanting a small dog and view it as a fashion accessory. I can name several people who have adopted small dogs because they wanted a dog to carry around or a "shopping buddy" because they saw a "really cute one at Banana Republic" or their friend had one that they fell in love with. Do I agree with it? No, but it happens so I'm not going to say it isn't true.

Alysser
10-16-2006, 07:09 PM
Didn't see this comment. I don't think anything promotes BYB or PMs except people who support them (and I blame ignorance for that), never said it did. What I did say was that even a small dog being held can contribute to people wanting a small dog and view it as a fashion accessory. I can name several people who have adopted small dogs because they wanted a dog to carry around or a "shopping buddy" because they saw a "really cute one at Banana Republic" or their friend had one that they fell in love with. Do I agree with it? No, but it happens so I'm not going to say it isn't true.

Thanks for clearing that up, lwds. Sorry, I guess I just misunderstood your post. I agree with you 100%. Buying from puppy mills is supporting them, and that is what's promoting them. Media isn't helping much either. Yesterday, we went to a breast cancer walk, although I wasn't walking in it, my sister and her friend were with their school and they said there was a doggie stroller. It's just like a cage on a cart. But come on, that's really pointless. :(

For the record,and no one accused me of getting a maltese because they are "cute", we got Sassy because we wanted a dog who didn't shed that much. :o

lwds
10-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Yesterday, we went to a breast cancer walk, although I wasn't walking in it, my sister and her friend were with their school and they said there was a doggie stroller. It's just like a cage on a cart. But come on, that's really pointless. :(

See, I don't think it's a big deal. I honestly don't care if someone chooses to carry their dogs, stroll their dogs, or dress their dogs (all within reason) as long as the dog is properly cared for (such as good nutrition, appropriate vet care, adequate exercise, the owner socializes their dog, and of course, the dog doesn't mind or seem uncomfortable). Sure the owner looks ridiculous and some things make me wonder, but if they are happy and most importantly the dog is happy, I don't think that's ridiculous :)

I think the thread is going off-topic, sorry OP!!

For the record,and no one accused me of getting a maltese because they are "cute", we got Sassy because we wanted a dog who didn't shed that much. :o

She's adorable!

bckrazy
10-16-2006, 07:47 PM
grossss! do they not realize that even a yorkie is a dog, and enjoys walking and getting exercise? that MUST be mentally harmful, for a dog to be hanging there. not to mention... accidents, like bumping them into things or dropping them, are bound to happen.

I'm seriously surprised that people who buy this don't just go all out and push their dogs around in baby carriages & breast-feed them. :< a 3 lb dog is still a dog and babying them is just as harmful as neglecting them. I see the MOST vicious dogs at the dog park, and they're the tiny Chi's and Lhasa's decked out in bows whose owners feel they are harmless just because they're tiny. Gonzo doesn't even care about these dogs, but they really pick on Fozzie & I'm afraid he will be aggressive towards little dogs when he grows up, because a lot of them are relentless and their owners do nothing.

k9krazee
10-16-2006, 08:19 PM

LOL. :D :D

Blue_Frog
10-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by MajesticCollies:

I'm thinking a Red-rocket wagon with a dog bed attached... i'm not sure that I'd want to carry Maggie -anywhere- ... shes a little bit heavy for a purse. ;)

Or maybe one of those rucksacks with the steel-reinforcements for those week-long camping adventures could be adjusted? Now i have this mental image of a border-collie in a backpack and its making me snicker.