PDA

View Full Version : Pomeranians?

zoomer
10-14-2006, 08:45 PM
I have a few questions about Pomeranions. Do they require lots of grooming for their long hair? Are they rather yappy dogs? What are they like to live with? Are they rather easy to train with your point of view? I really love Poms, my friend and I walked one named Marley and he was the sweetest, most happy little dude ever! I wish he was mine. I was just curious because I've been thinking about a lot of breeds lately..

buttercup132
10-14-2006, 08:49 PM
You alredy posted the EXACT same thread in dog breeds

and its spelled Pomeranian

zoomer
10-14-2006, 08:52 PM

Yep, I did post it in dog breeds but I wasn't getting any replies so I put it here. Is that a problem?

lute
10-15-2006, 12:58 AM
it's Pomeranian. yes, they need a good deal of brushing to keep their coats free of mats. you must brush them everyday. Pomeranians are also prone to teeth problems. brushing their teeth is a good idea. i brush Beanie's teeth every couple of days. Pomeranians can be yappy dogs. Beanie is yappy. it drives me nuts sometimes. the breed can also be a bit tough to housebreak. i highly idvise you to NOT use the potty pads you can buy at petores. they are a waist of time. papertraining and such teaches the dog to go on the paper or pad but the dog is still useing the bathroom inside the house.

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-15-2006, 01:20 AM
All small dog breeds seem to be more prone to dental problems than larger breeds. My vet said that there is something different about their saliva that causes them to easily develop gingivitis so being a Pom is a small breed, I'd say that they would need their teeth cleaned often (either in the form of a tooth brush, raw bones, etc.). In my experience (a friend has three) they can be pretty yappy. Two of the three I know are yappy, but they do stop barking when told. They seem to learn new things relatively quickly too. Their coats do need consistent upkeep so as they don't become matted. A lot of small breeds are difficult to housebreak, including the Pomeranian (like Lute said). You just have to be consistent in taking them outside often and praise them like crazy when they go outside. One accident in the house will set you back a lot in training. I never, ever recommend puppy pads or newspapers as a form of training. In my opinion, all dogs should go outside (unless hawks and such are a big concern, then my opinion changes).

Miss Z
10-15-2006, 07:37 AM
A good person to ask about poms would be Bri, I know she isn't around too often now, but you could pm her about them. My neighbours, who have moved away now, used to have a little pom named Stella. She was a cutie, but heck she never stopped yapping.:eek:

BitsyNaceyDog
10-15-2006, 07:15 PM
Lots of upkeep with the hair. I mostly use a rake (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 5973&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302026118&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1160957350499&itemNo=8&In=Dog&N=2026118&Ne=2) on Bitsy.

I had no problem housebreaking Bitsy. She was the easiest of all my dogs (except the ones that came housebroke).

She isn't necessarily the easiest to train to do "tricks". She knows the things she has to know, but that's about it.

I wouldn't call her yappy. She barks when she feels the need, but it's the same as with my other dogs. The doorbell rings and she will bark.. etc. I tell her to stop and she does.

Alysser
10-15-2006, 07:26 PM

There really was no need to be rude. Makayla is right that no one looks in dog breed as much as here.

k9krazee
10-15-2006, 07:50 PM
Oh, I have a question...what size are they supposed to be?

angelbow20
10-15-2006, 08:26 PM
I had one and when we got her we looked at her teeth and she had 3 rows of teeth! but was healthy. she was very hard to potty train the hardest of all my dogs and she wasnt really yappy but we had to get rid of her because my son was really young and i was afraid he would step on her or hurt her so a lady took her who's dog died of cancer.... She was about 3 pounds, they have different sizes the teacups and the regular they can range in size but i dont think they get much bigger than 10 to 12 pounds though.

Muddy4paws
10-16-2006, 05:03 AM
Ive only had experience from a groomers point of view as I havent actually owned one before.

They will shed and they will require very regular grooming, I would defiantly get a slicker brush and comb and go through daily if I had one especially from a puppy so its normal for her and it doesnt cause you problems!

I really do recommed a slicker and a comb! the brushes I see in pet shops seem to be well over priced and seem to be rubish at the job they are meant to be doing!

I've heard they can be yappy and can bite but I've never seen any problems with the ones I've groomed before, but then again I dont see them at home I see them about 2 hours in the day every so often.

zoomer
10-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the information, everyone! It really helps :)

There really was no need to be rude. Makayla is right that no one looks in dog breed as much as here.
Thank you, Alyssa.