PDA

View Full Version : The Runs with a Raw Diet?

husky_lover
10-14-2006, 10:08 AM
I've been feeding Raw for about a month now and My baby,Sif, Has the runs now. I've only given them Chicken so far. I didn't want to give them anything new to soon. She is also having problems with her teeth. I think that she is getting her adult teeth in. Her gums are bluish colored on the top back. Is this normal for puppies? Sif also refused to eat both time I feed yesterday and This morning. Is there something I need to do different? I'm going to take Thor to the Vet on Wednesday for an ear infection Should I take Sif also to get her looked at or am I over reacting? :confused:

Karen
10-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Maybe she's allergic to chicken ... I'd certainly switch her to some other meat.

(I am allergic to beef, so I know it's a possibility.)

husky_lover
10-15-2006, 01:09 PM
I gave her Hamburger last night and she loved it! She suddenly stopped having the runs and is acting a whole lot better now! Thanks Karen!

borzoimom
10-26-2006, 01:52 PM
You have the "runs" with your dog because the chemicals that were stored in the liver are expelling. It should correct itself, meanwhile add childrens pedialite no flavor in the dogs water bowl.
chemicals like BHA, BHT AND ETHOXYQUIN and sodium soliniate are stored in the liver and released. Sodium solinate is what makes the stool small by dog food standards, but actually its stored.
After this passes the stool will be really small. And it breaks down quickely in the yard just like it would with any wild life.

Glacier
10-26-2006, 02:00 PM
Some meat just doesn't agree with some dogs. I have one who is allergic to lamb and every single one of my dogs get loose stool after they eat caribou! They eat raw moose several times a week and never have that problem, only with 'bou!

The teeth sound normal for a puppy getting adult teeth in. Just like a teething human baby having something to chew on sometimes help--a kong, a frozen bone.

The refusal to eat is a very typical husky behavior. I have one who has eaten every third day since he was about 7 months old. He's perfectly healthy, just doesn't eat if he's not truly hungry. I'd weight 20 pounds less if I had that kind of discipline! If you see no other concerning symptoms, no change in behavior and the dog keeps drinking, do not be alarmed if your husky stops eating for a day or two occasionally. Do not offer him different food to entice him--you'll just end up with a spoiled, finicky husky! If he is otherwise healthy, he will eat again when he's hungry!

I just read in another post of yours that these are your first huskies. The learning curve is going to be steep, but fun! Enjoy the ride! :D

husky_lover
10-27-2006, 05:34 PM
Thanks Glacier! It's been a fun ride so far! They have taught me ALOT! My last dog was a Rat terrier. omg what a big difference in the breeds! The only reason I have Huskies is because my husban wanted them. But now I think I'm stuck on the husky breed. I've read alot of your posts and they helped a bunch!

borzoimom
10-29-2006, 05:22 AM
Thor and Sif's Rules
If I like it, It's Mine.
If it's in my mouth, It's Mine.
If I can take it from you, It's Mine.
If you are playing with is and put it down, It automatically becomes Mine.
If I've chewed It, Slobbered Over It and I'm Bored with It, It's yours
UNTIL I WANT IT BACK!! "
Very funny huskygirl!!! ROFL!!

husky_lover
10-29-2006, 08:55 PM
Thanks borzoimom. I bought the sign off of Ebay and it hangs by the front door. That is really how they think. It's so funny!

borzoimom
10-30-2006, 05:46 AM
Have you tried ground turkey instead of chicken? And have you added some yogurt for digestion?

husky_lover
10-31-2006, 10:07 AM
Yeah, I switched her to turkey and she doesn't like it all that well but does eat it. I'm new to raw feeding so I haven't given them much of anything except chicken and a couple of whole eggs. My mother just butchered a cow and gave me the liver and some other organs along with a bag of bones. How much of the organ meat am I supposed to feed them. Thor is 53Lbs and a year old. Sif is 22Lbs and is 6 months old. I've been giving them both a half a Lb twice a day. The only reason I've been feeding Chicken is because I can get 10 Lbs for $3.

borzoimom
10-31-2006, 10:58 AM
Organ meat is rich Not much of that.. I give about a handful of tripe to my guys. ( same thing) for each dog, but my guys weigh 100 pounds each- 90 for the females..