PDA

View Full Version : floppy rabbit sydrome

Heather Wallace
06-05-2002, 03:36 AM
Has anyone ever heard of this before?

Is it when you rabbit is low on energy or something?:confused:

Daisylover
06-05-2002, 09:32 AM
I have never heard of such a thing as floppy rabbit syndrome. Where did you hear of it? I almost afraid to ask why you are asking...but, why are you asking? :D Is someone not acting right?

You might check the House Rabbit Society web page, www.rabbit.org. I have their care book at home and I will look that up tonight. I also have another rabbit care book published by a vet., I can look their too. I've read both books though and this just does not ring a bell. Also there is a web site, called Etherbun, and it's listed in the HRS website under Links. If you have the time you might want to get online there and ask this question.

I am desperately hoping that you are asking this question out of curiousity and nothing else.....
Cath

Heather Wallace
06-05-2002, 06:01 PM
[I am desperately hoping that you are asking this question out of curiousity and nothing else.....
Cath [/B]

Yes curiosity, the rabbit that I will be looking after had it. The lady email me as I have to know about their health history etc. She said Ricky, her rabbit had it. But I will find out for sure what it actually is on Saturday and let you know.

Ps glad your trip at the weekend went well!!

heatherxx

Daisylover
06-06-2002, 09:45 AM
Great Heather, Thanks for keeping me informed.

Off the top of my head I'm wondering if the bunny has Pasturella, which is incurable but controlable by medication.......Some of the manifestations are head tilt and loss of balance.

All bunnies have Pasterulla in them but in some buns it gets out of control and damages the inner ear, thus resulting in head tilt and loss of balance. Many of these bunnies lead normal, long lives, they just look a little strange and have to be on medication.

Now don't panic with what I'm going o say next.... If this bunny has Pasturella , be aware that it IS contagious. You can care for her ok but don't let your bunnies be around her and when she leaves you'll need to sterilize with bleach and water or white vinegar the floor area of where you kept her and cage (if you use of of yours). Again, you might want to go online to www.rabbit.org and look under Health and read about Pasturella or Head Tilt.

All this sounds scary and dangerous but as long as you are careful there is no reason why you should not take care of this bunny. Let me know if you have any other questions or concers....

Maybe you could call you vet and just ask them about Floppy Rabbit syndrome and see what they say. It may be that it is a completely different situation than what my guess is. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Heather Wallace
06-07-2002, 10:04 AM
Good idea, I will be keeping the buns seperate anyway. but I will be sure to give the hutch a good old clean when he leaves.

Daisylover
06-27-2002, 10:01 AM
So I never heard, what IS floppy rabbit syndrome? :confused:

Heather Wallace
06-27-2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Daisylover

I'm not much the wiser as she didn't really explain much about it.

One day she went to feed Ricky and he couldn't get up. that was about it. he had some medication and since then he has been fine.

zippy-kat
06-27-2002, 12:36 PM
I've never heard of such a thing!

I do hope the lil' one is fairing much better these days!

At first, I thought maybe it was a "made-up" disease--you know, how ppl kid each other sometimes and use a word with "-itis" at the end. I had to smile because Sophie gets up on the bed and flops on her side to go to sleep.

At any rate, if you hear more, please let us know!!

lovemymaltese
06-27-2002, 01:23 PM
I have never heard of it, I hope that your little one is feeling better and growing stronger!!

Heather Wallace
06-27-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by lovemymaltese
I have never heard of it, I hope that your little one is feeling better and growing stronger!!

Ricky was a little rabbit that I looked after for a week as I am a pet sitter. he is fine now and has made a full recovery.

Thanks also Zippy, how is ms Sophie these days?

zippy-kat
06-28-2002, 06:17 PM
Miz Sophie is doing great Heather--just as ornery as ever-- thank you for asking about her.

I hope all your little ones are doing well too.

{huggs}

sujei
07-20-2002, 01:26 PM
hey, does anyone know what little red spots on a rats ears could mean. when i cleaned them off i noticed it was blood. is it serious and should i take my little anakin to a vet.

ps. does ur rabbit live in warm temperatures? it is really easy for a rabbit to overheat or dehydrate. thats what happen to my bunny cause he refused to keep drinkin water.

Heather Wallace
07-22-2002, 05:09 AM
Hi Sujei

Yes i would probably take you rat to the vets and have it checked over just incase.

Rabbbits shouldnt be over heated, anormal temperature will be fine, remember wild rabbits live in the wild. Give plenty of fresh drinking water.

sujei
07-29-2002, 09:55 AM
well rabbits in the wild are sort of different in their tolerances from domesticated rabbits i think. it could be possible:confused:

inkspot14
07-29-2002, 11:04 AM
never heard of it but i have a bunny:D

Lance0
08-07-2002, 05:41 PM
I have heard of this, but do you mean flop like flopping on the couch or do you mean the ears are floppy? Rabbits with floppy ears are called Lops and are not energy deficient but lazy rabbits are not uncommon.

Tremberlene
11-24-2008, 11:06 PM

FRS (floppy rabbit syndrome) is not actually a illness but a term given to a few different symptoms.

The symptoms of FRS are:
*Not eating or drinking
*loss of control of body
*Not being able to hold head up

And lots more.

Rabbits with FRS don't usually recover so its nice to know your's did. My rabbit has FRS.