PDA

View Full Version : Alright, now I need some orthopedic help!

Cataholic
10-13-2006, 01:13 PM
Lordie, two new threads from me within 24 hours! I am somewhat convinced that I broke my baby toe this morning. You see, my new camera (see other thread, LOL) was perched too close to the end of my dresser, and I was afraid Jonah would be tempted to touch it. SO, while keeping my eye on the camera, I managed to run into his little toy grocery cart, filled with 500 cars/trains, etc. Well, I must have hit is 'just right'. My little toe is throbbing, swollen, and now, 6 hours later, looks like I dipped it in ink. It is quite difficult to walk, and well, it is ridiculously painful.

I am thinking that the only thing to do is RICE, right? Anyone ever broke a tiny toe? Someone told me to tape it, so, I have some scotch tape on it right now, tethered to the next toe. (I am not sure what is up with my employer. We had NO medical type tape in the office, only scotch!).

I **think** I have heard there isn't any point in going to the MD- helllloooooo, if is Friday afternoon.....,and with co-pays, xrays, etc, I won't be able to buy my next lens for the camera....

So, thoughts? Advice? Sympathy? Gift cards? LOL...

caseysmom
10-13-2006, 01:15 PM
I would call your doctor just in case. I have tried to tough things like that out and now have a few aches and pains years later....

Glacier
10-13-2006, 01:17 PM
As long as your toe is pointing the right direction, there is nothing a doctor can do for you, except maybe give you some good pain meds! When I broke mine(all four small toes on my left foot), they were all twisted backwards. Had to get a doc to pop them back into place--NOT FUN!! All they told me to do was exactly what you've already said--ice and elevate it. I was told to take an anti-inflammatory OTC drug, like Ibuprofen or aspirin, but I'm allergic to anything with ASA in it. I just took extra-strength Tylenol. I used a tensor bandage for a little while just because it felt better to me with it on.

I hope your foot feels better soon!

popcornbird
10-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Awww...Poor Johanna. :( This happened to me the day my in-laws were returning home. My brother was pulling their suitcases to the car. I was standing by the side of the door, with people all around me, and couldn't move...so, without noticing I was there, my brother accidently pulled the suitcase over my baby toe. The nail ripped off, and it was bleeding badly. After an hour, it was all blue, and stayed that way for a few days. It hurt terribly, but was not so bad for one reason, because my hubby pampered me a lot, and I didn't have to walk around and do anything until it got better. :D He he he

Cataholic
10-13-2006, 01:23 PM
Everything is pointing in the right direction (well, on my FEET anyhow, lol). I can't wait to get home and get these shoes off, thats for sure.

Pembroke_Corgi
10-13-2006, 01:26 PM
I'm sorry...ouch! I broke my little toe maybe 7 years ago by dropping a pan of lasagna on it! :rolleyes: (And I was all done, too, ready to put it in the oven!) The only thing the doctor did was do an x-ray, asked me if it hurt when she touched it and moved it (yes, it did) and then told me to tape it to my other toe. It healed in 4 or 5 weeks.

Edwina's Secretary
10-13-2006, 01:26 PM
I have broken my little toes....and yes....it will proably feel better with some pressure on it...Scotch tape excluded....but there is nothing that can be done for it....

Cataholic
10-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Oh, Lillycat! I **told** you there wasn't any reason to go to the MD! :D

Me AND my PT medical friends concur with the original dx and treatment. :D

catfamily
10-13-2006, 01:31 PM
I would get right to the Doc's asap just in case.You don't want to find out that you waited too long and now have pain forever when it could of been avoided.I am probably wrong but I'd go :(

caseysmom
10-13-2006, 01:36 PM
What would you do if it was Jonah? You would call! Most likely they can't do anything...but still...hey glacier...that sounded like it was really gross!

Randi
10-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Ouch!! :( A kind of bandage to keep it in position is good idea, and also keep it elevated. Hope the pain goes away soon!

My sympahty, and purrs from Fister :)

Cookiebaker
10-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Maybe get Jonah to "kiss it all better"???? ;)

Sounds painful, and I hope you feel better soon!!

Cinder & Smoke
10-13-2006, 01:46 PM
So ... who's taking the rap for your (probably) Busted Tootsie ~

* The New Camera
* The Kid's Cart
-or-
* The Kid

?? http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/confused.gif

Tis true the usual "fix" for a busted toe is to strap / tie / tape it to it's un-busted neighbor ...
Although I kinda *doubt* "Scotch" Tape from the Office is the suggested flavour!

"Scotch" Tape won't *breathe* and will prolly turn the once good toe's skin into a rainbow of ugly colors.

Ask the Pill Pusher at Wally's Mart what to use for tape.

As for the Doctor or Not question ...

Find an "Outpatient Clinic" that your insurance will deal with ...
might be the cheapest way out yet assure youself that a JOINT isn't involved.
Toes "break" in strange ways ... you want to be sure this is a "simple" break
and not one that will cause pain in the future.

Dunno if one of the X-ray "specialty shops" will shoot a pix of the foot / toe
without an MD Doc's referral.
You might call a couple of the X-ray shops and ask if they'll shoot the pix AND
explain what the film shows - i.e. "read" the X-ray for you.

Do you have a CANE yet?

/s/ the Bionic Boy

Glacier
10-13-2006, 01:53 PM
.hey glacier...that sounded like it was really gross!

It was gross!! I kicked the bed in the dark.The noise my foot made was disgusting! I've never screamed like that in my life. At the time I lived alone in a condo. My neighbor told me later that he considered calling the cops. He was quite sure that I was being attacked until he saw me hopping out to get in my boyfriend's truck!

caseysmom
10-13-2006, 01:58 PM
Wow glacier you have a strong leg, I figured it was a sledding accident or something.

sasvermont
10-13-2006, 01:59 PM
You should tape your little toe to at least one or two toes - for support. And then change the tape every few days (to prevent stinking...)....and wait.....I have broken mine at least three times.....other toes too.....its fun. :rolleyes:

Dorothy39
10-13-2006, 02:05 PM
YIKES Glacier!!!! ( just thinking of that noise makes me queezy)

Yes, I have to confess, I've broken 2 toes on 2 seperate occasions!!

I made my husband go to the nearest store and buy some Epsom Salts!!

I even had a water blister on top of the toe , after it turned a very dark shade of blue, then purple and then black.

Wow, did it hurt!!! After soaking it in warm( sort of hot) water with Epsom salts, the bruised color went away~~ I continued soaking twice ( maybe 3 times a day?) and took Tylenol for the pain. I bought some ugly slip on shoes (without heels) so I could limp around better.

Sorry you are feeling all that jazz!!!! :(

lizbud
10-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Wow, sure sounds painful. I've stubbed my toes before, but nothing that
bad. :eek: How in the world did you ever get a shoe on that foot? It hurts
to even think about it. I was told it takes a whole lot to ever break a toe,
but I'm sure the pain isn't any worse.

Cataholic
10-13-2006, 06:11 PM
How in the world did you ever get a shoe on that foot?

Today, I wore slacks, and my doc martens! They are my 'largest' shoe, and I thought the solid sole would help some. Not much, sadly. :(

I took the scotch tape off, he he he. I will leave it unsupported tonight, but, wrap it tomorrow am. I must admit that the pain is great, but, the look of the toe is worse. Maybe THAT will be the first pic you all see? LOL...I need a pedicure first. :o

RedHedd
10-13-2006, 06:17 PM
R.I.C.E. is good initially. You can also use an Ace-type bandage to give it some support while you sleep. I do empathize! I broke a toe (or two!) at Niagara falls on vacation. It was NOT fun hopping around Canada. When I got home and called my doc, she said I did the right thing - basically stay off of it as much as you can, keep it elevated, take over-the-counter pain meds as needed and it will heal in 4-6 weeks.

Pam
10-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Maybe THAT will be the first pic you all see? LOL...I need a pedicure first. :o

LOL! Had to laugh at that!

Thought I'd share my only story related to toe injuries. My BIL was sitting on the sofa one day when he noticed a hot air balloon going by. He flew off the sofa to grab his camera and slammed his foot into his exercise bike. He saw every star in the heavens but was determined to get a few pictures. LOL!

krazyaboutkatz
10-13-2006, 09:34 PM
Ouch!!! I broke my little toe when I was very young by dropping a baby table on it. I don't really remember much except that it hurt a lot. My Mom broke her big toe and had to wear a small brace and the toe was taped to it. It was hard for her to walk normally because she kept loosing her balance. This is when we learned that our big toes help us keep our balance.

Since then I've only stubbed my toe very badly a few times and it turned black and blue and swollen. I took some pain meds and it was fine in about a week. I hope that it'll heal quickly and that you'll feel better soon.

Cataholic
10-14-2006, 12:05 PM
Thanks again, everyone. Today the toe really does feel better. It still hurts, but, it is NOT the same pain as yesterday. So, I am guessing I did not break it. I took my brother's dog (I am dog sitting) to the dog park today, since I can't walk him, and even after standing around for 1.5 hours, it seems 'better'. Course, when Jonah decided he needed to make a dive from the playground equipment, I couldn't get there fast enough. Thankfully, my voice box has not sustained any sort of injury, and I yelled so loud the dog panicked, people turned and stared, and Jonah started crying! But, he didn't dive. :D

I think by Monday I should be A-OK (well, at least back to where I was before the toe injury).

Pam- That is essentially the picture I must have made as I hurt my toe. Maybe I would have felt better if I had gotten a great shot- besides the great shot of pain, that is.

Thanks again!

kimlovescats
10-14-2006, 12:11 PM
I'm glad your toe is feeling a bit better today, and that Jonah didn't take that dive!!! :eek: ;)

Killearn Kitties
10-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Glad to hear the toe feels better, but - your office didn't have any medical tape? Can you sue? ;) :D