PDA

View Full Version : what kind of job do you do?

angelbow20
10-13-2006, 11:37 AM
i work at a nursing home and i was just wondering what kind of jobs you guys do? does anyone else work ina nursing home also?

luvofallhorses
10-13-2006, 12:26 PM
I don't have a job but I do volunteer at my local no - kill animal shelter regularly if that counts. :)

angelbow20
10-13-2006, 12:31 PM
i always wanted to have a no kill shelter and work at one but we dont have any close by and i could never afford to have one myself

Blue_Frog
10-13-2006, 12:38 PM
I write technical documentation for consumer electronics (ie. click this button to do stuff, this menu setting does this, the specs for this are that etc.) -- kind of boring. I also do support training and product training, as well as installer training etc. Some software stuff too. Thats what pays the bills for me.

As a sideline, I do commision craft work - mostly for the cost of the materials and the time. I'm currently working on making jewellery for my friends wedding (for her bridesmaids), i have 2 commisions for stained glass projects (making 2 panels for a door, and a stained glass weiner dog), as well as trying to get a bunch of odds and ends done for a craft show in November (dont think im meeting the deadline for that tho :( )

As to the Nursing Home, my sister worked in nursing homes for a while, but now is a day program coordinator for older adults with cognative disabillities.

Argranade
10-13-2006, 12:41 PM
My pets and house work is my only job for now, some time ill work at a pet shop but I have no need to now.

binka_nugget
10-13-2006, 12:44 PM
I work for an organic food home delivery company. It's a lot of physical labour but I get to sit around and play on the computer for part of the day.

I also teach dog obedience classes and do private sessions as well. I'm also in the early stages of starting a Belgian & Sheltie rescue. :)

MajesticCollies
10-13-2006, 12:47 PM
I am a production Supervisor in a Mixing Dept in the Nations Largest Independant Bakery. Consolidated Biscuit Company. We make many varieties of cookies and crackers for Kraft and other name brand companies.

sirrahved
10-13-2006, 12:53 PM
I'm a barista at a coffee shop, a brand new mary kay consultant, and I volunteer at animal care & control.

Karen
10-13-2006, 12:53 PM
Graphic Designer!

Suki Wingy
10-13-2006, 01:01 PM
I work at the new Heritage Center Museum and Gift Shop at a Historic Farm.

CountryWolf07
10-13-2006, 01:08 PM
I'm a college student at the Ohio State University. I work for RGIS back home.. which deals with inventory/tagging.

Corinna
10-13-2006, 01:18 PM
I am the community relations specilist for our local Pamida . Aslo do most every other manual labor job there. 3days aweek. the rest of the time i sit formy new grandbaby.

angelbow20
10-13-2006, 01:24 PM
i would love to get a new job buts it so hard around here to find anything good that i would enjoy, its sad after while working in nursing homes and its so easy for me to get sick also. i want to work with young children or animals

Pembroke_Corgi
10-13-2006, 01:31 PM
I'm a piano teacher 2 nights a week and I'm also going to start a new job next week as a teacher's aide for a 2nd and 3rd grade classroom. I'm also a student at Metropolitian State College of Denver to get my teaching certificate. :)

My brother worked in a nursing home for a long time, he was a CNA. :)

Queen of Poop
10-13-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm executive assistant to the vice president of operations at my oil and gas trust company. I also manage our vehicle fleet, book all of the charter flights, book commercial travel, and organize, organize, organize.

Cookiebaker
10-13-2006, 01:51 PM
For the last 5 years, I managed a copy shop. I quit 2 weeks ago, and am officially a stay-at-home-mommy to be. Now I can sleep in, spoil my pets, and work on getting the nursery set up. I love the freedom so far, and boredom hasn't struck yet. :)

davidpizzica
10-13-2006, 01:56 PM
I work as a groundskeeper at my local golf course. I cut grass, rake sand traps, general slave!

JenBKR
10-13-2006, 02:00 PM
I work at an environmental testing lab, writing reports handling accounts payable. Which means I get to spend half my day on PT ;)

mruffruff
10-13-2006, 02:31 PM
Office Manager for a neon sign supply distributor. Sounds good, pays good, but there's not a lot to do most days, so I lurk a lot.

cyber-sibes
10-13-2006, 03:17 PM
I'm an illustrator.
also work a few hours a week at a women's clothing shop.

cmayer31
10-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Inventory Analyst. I analyze ;)

k9krazee
10-13-2006, 03:42 PM
I'm a Teacher's Assistant for one of the professors here on campus.

chocolatepuppy
10-13-2006, 04:31 PM
I work in a factory. I'm a machine operator.

Laura's Babies
10-13-2006, 05:07 PM
I cook on a tow boat on the Mississippi River. Work 28 days/off 28... on my 28 off right now...

critter crazy
10-13-2006, 05:07 PM
I Used to Work for the Army until this past April, when I got a Medical discharge. Now I am collecting Disability and am A stay at home mom. I would love to get a nice Job, But right now mY options are limited.

Muddy4paws
10-13-2006, 05:20 PM
Im a dog groomer, Not fully trained up yet but I've been doing it for nearly enough 3 years now, not brave enough to try out on cats yet though ;) :D

wolf_Q
10-13-2006, 05:38 PM
I'm a college student at the Ohio State University. I work for RGIS back home.. which deals with inventory/tagging.

Heh I worked for RGIS...for like 2 days. It just was *not* the job for me!

I'm an illustrator.

I'm jealous, I bet you really enjoy that. What type of illustration do you do usually? I'd love to illustrate a children's book or something.

I am a dog/cat groomer. I've been doing that a little over 4 years now. I enjoy working with animals, I wish I made enough money I could afford my own place though. :/

angelbow20
10-13-2006, 06:41 PM
All these jobs make me sooo jealous! i would love to almost all of them!

Giselle
10-13-2006, 06:57 PM
In a about a decade, I should be a veterinarian. LOL. ;)

Alysser
10-13-2006, 07:33 PM
I'm aiming to be a Marine mammal rescuer and rehabilator. In fact, I'm going tommorow to an open house for a high school based entirely on the subject of Marine biology. Unfourtunatley its hard to make, but I'm pretty confident about it.

rosethecopycat
10-13-2006, 07:35 PM
I have been a professional musician for 20 yrs, also an arranger of music.
I work as a proofreader for a major publishing co. from home.

For one year now, I've started my own business as a Faux Finisher.
I do fancy wall finishes in rich folks homes.

And I'm a Siamese Cat foster Mama. :)

Flatcoatluver
10-13-2006, 07:43 PM
I work at a dog kennel. Really hard work, but well worth it, Zoey gets to come to work with me. :p

angelbow20
10-13-2006, 08:25 PM
I have been a professional musician for 20 yrs, also an arranger of music.
I work as a proofreader for a major publishing co. from home.

For one year now, I've started my own business as a Faux Finisher.
I do fancy wall finishes in rich folks homes.

And I'm a Siamese Cat foster Mama. :)

Wow are you a singer or do you play instruments? my sons father went to boston school of music but he dropped out. my son takes after him with music tho he wants every instrument possible and sings all the time we just got hima real guitar for his bday this yr!

krazyaboutkatz
10-13-2006, 09:20 PM
I'm a dental technician. No, not a dental assistant. There's a big difference. I work in a dental lab and we are the ones who make the crowns for the dentist. Just consider us to be the tooth fairies.:)

Soapets
10-13-2006, 09:24 PM
I'm a Certified Ophthalmic Assistant in a small Ophthalmology (eye doctors) practice. I am also the Nursery Coordinator at my church, so I get to babysit little ones quite a bit. I also do some volunteer things: I am a member of the Hand Bell Choir at church; I am a bus driver for our church for various activities; I am on the local Dive Rescue Team as a shore support person; I am on the Education Committee at my church. These things all keep me very busy, and happy!

Deb

cali
10-13-2006, 09:26 PM
I work in 2 pharmacys, the main one I work in the front store, but every other saterday when the relief pharmasist is in, then I help her with filling perscriptions and such. at the other one I am casual, I oly work their when I am needed, and not working at the main one, at this one I am a pharmasist assistant.

Glacier
10-13-2006, 09:27 PM
I'm a social worker. I used to be a child protection worker, for the last four years I've been a case manager at the worker's compensation board. I work mainly with people who have had major injuries at work and will require long term medical care and retraining in order to return to any kind of work. That's the job that pays the bills so I can do the thing I really am--I am a musher!

Pam
10-13-2006, 09:45 PM
I work part time for an ophthalmologist (roughly 25 hours/week). I do reception work and also transcribe all of his dictation.

Angelbow 20, my mom has been living in a nursing home for the last few years. I respect her caregivers and know it can't be easy. Some are very attached to her so I know the emotional side as well.

cyber-sibes
10-13-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm jealous, I bet you really enjoy that. What type of illustration do you do usually? I'd love to illustrate a children's book or something. :/Oh Amy, you are so talented! I wish I did animal portraits like you do - your work is beautiful!

For the past four years, I've been doing computer-generated illustrations for a company that publishes supplemental educational material. I mainly do spot art for workbooks for Grades 3-8, but this year I have done 6 books in color that are part of a reading program. I'm attaching the scan of one book cover (color in the scan is a little pale) and the art I did for the back cover - I didn't scan the back because it's got upc codes printed all over it.
Please do not copy/download/use these, this work is copyrighted by the publisher. I'm allowed to use it in my portfolio. And yes, I love it! I work at home and I recently moved my studio to a small building attached to the kennel - so my fuzzbutts come in with me all day and become couch potatos!

cyber-sibes
10-13-2006, 10:30 PM
For one year now, I've started my own business as a Faux Finisher. I do fancy wall finishes in rich folks homes. :)How's that working out for you? I did murals in a church and quite a few residences some years ago. It was fun, I loved it, but I didn't love working on scaffolding - I'm trying to do things where I keep both feet on the ground now!

Rachel
10-14-2006, 06:48 AM
I'm self employed and work from an office in my home. Although I've done work for a variety of companies, the past years it has narrowed down to running the office of a remodeling company. Mainly that consists of bookkeeping, secretarial work and office management. In my *previous life* I worked as a correctional counselor in a state institution for juveniles who were adjudicated delinquent by the courts.

Miss Z
10-14-2006, 07:00 AM
Nothing as yet, but I'm really hoping that in a couple of months I can work voluntarily at my local RSPCA shelter as I'll then be 15.

I've been writing letters for work experience for next year, and I've just got a reply from one veterinary practice that would like to have me :) Of course, my ambition is to become a veterinary surgeon.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
10-14-2006, 01:24 PM
I am a stay at home Mother. :)

mugsy
10-14-2006, 01:35 PM
I teach 8th grade social studies and work after school and Saturdays at the store selling pet food!

areias
10-14-2006, 01:38 PM
I am a Vet Assistant and a pizza delivery driver. :)

I would love to get into grooming, any tips? :D

BitsyNaceyDog
10-14-2006, 04:29 PM
I'm a stay at home pet mom/ baby oven.
I don't have a paid job anymore. I left my job just before we moved, I was the manager at the most awesome pet boarding facility I've ever seen. I got pregnant shortly after we moved, so I won't be getting another job.

slleipnir
10-14-2006, 04:32 PM
I'm a bartender/waitress

BitsyNaceyDog
10-14-2006, 04:48 PM
I'm aiming to be a Marine mammal rescuer and rehabilator. In fact, I'm going tommorow to an open house for a high school based entirely on the subject of Marine biology. Unfourtunatley its hard to make, but I'm pretty confident about it. I was very interested in that when I was in high school. I got more and more interested in birds and other wild life and never pursued the marine biology.

rosethecopycat
10-14-2006, 09:42 PM
Wow are you a singer or do you play instruments? my sons father went to boston school of music but he dropped out. my son takes after him with music tho he wants every instrument possible and sings all the time we just got hima real guitar for his bday this yr!

I play saxophones. I worked on cruise ships for 12 years, full time.
Met my husband on the Love Boat. He's a piano player.

rosethecopycat
10-14-2006, 09:46 PM
How's that working out for you? I did murals in a church and quite a few residences some years ago. It was fun, I loved it, but I didn't love working on scaffolding - I'm trying to do things where I keep both feet on the ground now!

Faux Finishing is a great start up business. You don't really need a loan to get started. I recommend a 5 day course such as FauxEffects.com
You must enjoy the tedious aspects as much as the creative.
There's so much work, I don't know how to keep up. It would keep me busy 7 days a week, if I let it. But, it is physically challenging, especially for someone 45'ish with Rheumatoid Arthritis, but I thought I'm not getting any better, or younger. I'm going for it!
I go 3 scaffolds high!
PM me if you want more details.

Good, good living.

dogzr#1
10-14-2006, 09:49 PM
I am a full time kid! :D

I don't have a job at the moment, but I would really like to start volunteering at the Human Society near our house.

K9karen
10-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Corporate Travel Agent for 30 years until 9/11. Got laid off soon afterwards. Stressful, but I loved the challenge. Got to travel everywhere I ever wanted. After work and on weekends I worked as a sales associate at a huge department store and also at a local discount beauty supply/cosmetic store. In 2003 I home cared my mom for 2 years. Had 2 much needed surgeries on my spine and am now on SSD. I loved so many of your jobs-so cool! Now that my wrist is still broken, I'm limited to stuff so I have no clue what I'd do. I have no other marketable skills. I love being home doing what I want when I want and also being with my sweet K-lo 24/7. Could be worse. I do miss being with people as I always did some kind of PR work too.

finn's mom
10-19-2006, 08:36 PM
I don't think I've replied in this thread, sorry if I have. :) I work at a pet resort. I stay mostly up front, helping people check in, check out, make reservations, etc. I also help out with the dogs in the back when needed. I started out completely in the back, but, moved up front. It's fun, I get to talk to people, play with dogs and cats, and, take photos all day long. It's nice! :)

Catty1
10-19-2006, 10:53 PM
Spent over 20 years as a pianist singer, starting out mostly in bands (including a twin Elvis tribute!!!!! :eek: ). Did a couple of cruise ships near the end of my road career.

Did a CD.

Got tired. Wanted to have a home (and furbabies!)

Made the bumpy transition to day gigs in a heating company/fireplace store, great boarding kennel, when the PT kennel job ended, increased to full time as Office Manager/Customer Service with a publishing company.

Hold your manuscripts - we only publish our own magazine!

I get to spel reel gud and wurk with uther crazzy peepul! :D

Shelteez2
10-19-2006, 11:31 PM
I'm a dog groomer. :)

Ginger's Mom
10-20-2006, 05:46 AM
Paralegal/clerical worker. The job has become more clerical than paralegal, so it is not as challenging as it was initially. But, as I get older I think I like that, and the benefits are pretty good.

catnapper
10-20-2006, 07:52 AM
I'm still deciding what I want to do when I grow up :p

I am an artist, dog trainer, and interior designer. I also babysit my grandson when his mommy is at school.

pitc9
10-20-2006, 02:37 PM
When I was in high school I wanted to get into interior design, but I didn't follow my dream... :(

I work for Wheelchair Getaways, it is a company all over the US that rents wheelchair accessible vans. We also have a sister company that modifies and services wheelchair vans, and another sister company that is a body shop. We're all in the same building so I get a little of everything everyday!

catnapper
10-20-2006, 07:31 PM
When I was in high school I wanted to get into interior design, but I didn't follow my dream... :(

You're lucky. It stinks as a job. Underpaid and waaaayyyy overworked, and you're basically an overeducated salesman/purchasing agent.