PDA

View Full Version : Runner yelps a lot

ashleycat
10-12-2006, 09:53 PM
She's sooo sensitive. It makes me wonder if she was terribly abused. Maybe she doesn't have hip displaysia. Maybe the got the S kicked out of her.

I took her with me to Walgreens today, and when I opend the door to get in, she got out. I grabbed her collar and she yelped. She started walking away some and I just put my hand on her back. Nothing bad about that. Not much pressure at all, she yelped. I picked her up, she yelped. YOu would think I was kidnapping the poor girl. I think she even peed some. She does scare pretty easy.

Ilove her sooo much. How long will it take for her to know that I will never hurt her?
ps. I don't understand how anyone could hurt her. She is just the best calm laid back loveable couch potato

BC_MoM
10-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Trust is something that develops over time through care, love and understanding. It could take a while - it could take just another day. Spending some 1on1 time together and with TLC, I'm sure will speed up the process.

Has she been x-rayed?

ashleycat
10-12-2006, 10:32 PM
nope. The vet just felt and looked at her. He said she had it just by looking at her. HOw much are x rays usually?

BC_MoM
10-12-2006, 10:38 PM
I highly recommend getting x-rays taken. Elbow and hip x-rays can cost from $150-$450. For one hip to be diagnosed and surgery be done can cost about $1000-$4000.

ashleycat
10-12-2006, 10:49 PM
is there such thing as pet insurance?

BC_MoM
10-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Yep, there is. But they won't pay for pre-existing conditions, though, if I remember correctly.

Giselle
10-13-2006, 12:23 AM
Yikes, that does sound like pretty bad hip dysplasia to me. Did you "catch" her on the rump? A friend of mine had a severely arthritic/dysplastic dog and all of the things you just mentioned would aggravate his condition to no end. It's no wonder she yelped :(

If the vet could actually *feel* her loose hips, I would suggest getting x-rays done and sending it off to an expert to diagnose your options. HD is a slippery disease and can actually be dealt with quite simply.

K9karen
10-13-2006, 12:47 AM
Yep, there is. But they won't pay for pre-existing conditions, though, if I remember correctly.

Yes, true, certain pre-existing conditions are not covered such as ACL (knee ligament tear). However, if you're on good terms with your vet, he can put down something, not preexisiting, like a fall. Maybe I shouldn't say that. But insurance takes about 30 days to go into affect.

I can understand being "jumpy" (like when I first got Logan) but she never yelped. A yelp to me, means pain or discomfort.

I spent a lot of time with Logan, to ease her fear of touching something with her tail (Yikes..what was THAT?) or going under tables to get a toy, or hearing anything tin or aluminum. The difference in less than 1 year was remarkable. I never coddled her, as much as I wanted to. I showed her the aluminum foil, the tin tray. I moved a chair so she could go under, then rewarded her with "Good JOB!!!!!" and a cookie. She's still shy with strangers and strange places, but I make it a fun, good thing. She is a different dog. But remember, every living creature has it's own personality. Maybe that's how Runner is.

Does she let you brush her? Can you touch her paws or touch her mouth? It took longer for Logan to let me do that, but she wouldn't dare to snarl or show her teeth to me now. It's unacceptable. She knows damn well I'd never hurt her.

Good luck. Sorry to ramble. I am by no means a pro at any of this. I learn something new everyday. I just try to "read" Logan and go from there. I'll shut up now. :rolleyes:

cyber-sibes
10-13-2006, 07:04 AM
Poor girl. i don't rally have any answers, just wanted to say that there is a beagle-mix that comes to the dogpark that yelps every time another dog gets near her - they don't even have to touch her! Maybe some dogs are just extremely skitterish.

ashleycat
10-13-2006, 08:42 AM
I touched her by her colar. NO where near her hips. It was cus I touched her. She thought she was getting in trouble. But when she's not in trouble I can touch her all over. Tho when I touch her paws she pulls them away.

But when I touched her neck area, she bent down with her tail between her legs. I think she peed too. cus there was a puddle on the ground and her bum was wet when I picked her up. But I dunno if it was from her, or if it was already there.

zoomer
10-13-2006, 08:53 AM
Sounds like you need to build some trust with your baby girl. Start taking her places with you, pet her a lot, take her for lots of walks. If it's not your she's frightened of, I suggest taking her around the neighborhood, allowing kids to pet her, and asking people around you to pet her. I did that with Georgia, we walked around the neighborhood and around town and I asked lots of men to pet her, since she was very scared of them. Now she's not nearly as scared.

is there such thing as pet insurance?
Yep, we have it. I you're interested in it you can just talk to your vet.

ashleycat
10-13-2006, 12:56 PM
I have been taking her places. She trusts me. Atleast I think she does. I'm guessing it's just worse when we are out and she thinks she is in trouble. Because at home when she knows she's being good, I can put my hands all over her. And she loves it. She will roll on her back for tummy rubs. And everytime I walk in the door, even if it was from taking the trash out, she's excited to see me as if I had been gone all day.