PDA

View Full Version : Camera People- help me, please

Cataholic
10-12-2006, 02:45 PM
First, I searched old threads, and I didn't locate anyone that had a Nikon D50. I just bought it, and, frankly, it wasn't cheap! Can anyone tell me, and please- do not mince words- is this a good camera?

I wanted an SLR. The ONLY thing that had me confused was the guy's comment, that a **true** SLR doesn't give you the instant view on the screen. I have screen capabilities for camera functions, and picture reviews, but, not WHILE I am setting up the photo. BUT, I thought Kay had this on her camera. So, I was like, "well, my friend had it on her SLR.....".

So, tell me. Is this a good camera? Is this going to be fast enough to catch a toddler in action? Did I waste my money? Please, help me. :(

Here is what I bought:
http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/digitalcamera/slr/d50/index.htm

catnapper
10-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Nikons are VERY good cameras with awesome lenses. The comment about the onscreen thing is that a digital SLR might show the picture but what you'll download and see in the finished product will be bigger... or was it smaller? I do know that what you see through the screen and viewfinder is different than the actual photo taken.

I wanted to get another Nikon after mine was stolen but switched to Canon because they had the one feature I can't live without (a swivel viewscreen) and Nikon no longer offers it on their cameras.

Cataholic
10-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks, Kim. I was beginning to think I have upset the ENTIRE board when no one responded. :p

Anyhow, is your camera an SLR? If so, are you telling me that you can see the screen WHILE you are taking the picture? :confused:

Blue_Frog
10-12-2006, 03:20 PM
From what i've seen the Nikon D50 is an excellent camera, that gives you the ability to swap in different lens to meet different needs. It works with older SLR lenses so you dont necessairly need to go out and buy digital lenses if you dont want to.

My buddy has one, and its fast enough to capture great images of moving Indy cars. I have a Nikon too and I love it - just not that particular model (can't afford all the things i'd want for it!).

I'll PM you the address to his gallery if you wanted to see what the D50 can do as a camera - and if you have any specific questions about it, I can ask him about it too.

We also have a D50 at work that we use for all the product shots - its a good professional level camera from what i've seen anyway :)

/A

caseysmom
10-12-2006, 03:21 PM
When my daughter was in gymnastics I wanted to go the slr route so I borrowed one from a friend. I can't say enough about how nice it is with digital to be able to see the picture and upload and print at home.

.sarah
10-12-2006, 03:27 PM
I wanted an SLR. The ONLY thing that had me confused was the guy's comment, that a **true** SLR doesn't give you the instant view on the screen. I have screen capabilities for camera functions, and picture reviews, but, not WHILE I am setting up the photo. BUT, I thought Kay had this on her camera. So, I was like, "well, my friend had it on her SLR.....".
Kay has a Canon S2 IS, which is not an SLR :) It is true that you cannot view the picture while you are taking it on an SLR. That was hard for me to get used to when I got my Canon Rebel XT because I had an S2.

The Nikon D50 is a nice camera. I almost got a D70 but decided on the Canon instead. I know someone with a D70 who takes some of the best pictures I have ever seen of his Labs in action. Once you learn about the modes and settings you should be taking some nice pictures! You definetly didn't waste your money!

Cataholic
10-12-2006, 03:33 PM
LOL. Figures I would go mouthing off about something I knew nothing about! (as to what Kay had...he he he). The guy was prolly like, "you are such an idiot lady".

I guess it will take some getting used to, not seeing what I am doing. BUT, I got used to it before with my SLR. Here is to hoping my OLD 35mm lenses fit the new cam!

Thank you for your responses. I can now leave my computer knowing that I am still tolerated on PT! ;)

Glacier
10-12-2006, 03:53 PM
The only D-SLR that allows you "live viewing" on the LCD screen is the Olympus Evolt 330. I only know that because it's next on my "I WANT" list!(or the Evolt 500).

Cataholic
10-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Glacier- your post confused me (easily done!), so, I went and checked the Evolt, which is SWEET! However, it said, like all SLRs, the ONLY way you can see the pics, is in pic mode, not photo taking mode.

I found this quote sereral pages down: "Do note that as with all digital SLRs, the LCD is only used for reviewing photos after they are taken -- you will always use the optical viewfinder for taking pictures".

Did you see that?

Glacier
10-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Did you see that?

Nope, where did you see that? I was looking at the Olympus site, which makes it look like you can use the LCD on the E-330 almost like you do on a point & shoot digital. The rest of their d-SLR's you can't use it, except to review pics after they are taken.

I want the E-500 since it comes with more accessories and lenses for about the same price as the E-330.

Cataholic
10-12-2006, 04:22 PM
Here is the link:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/e500-review/

And, I went about 2 inches down, on the scroll bar: it is underneath a picture of the back of the camera, after about the tenth illustration down:

One of the big upgrades on the E-500 is its large 2.5" LCD display. This screen has an impressive resolution, too -- there are over 215,000 pixels on this screen, so images are nice and sharp. Do note that as with all digital SLRs, the LCD is only used for reviewing photos after they are taken -- you will always use the optical viewfinder for taking pictures.

And speaking of which, you'll find the E-500's viewfinder directly above the LCD. This large viewfinder shows 95% of the frame, and you can bring things into focus by using the diopter correction knob to its left. The shooting info display is located to the right of the field of view in the viewfinder, and it shows current settings and shots remaining.

Cataholic
10-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Nope, where did you see that? I was looking at the Olympus site, which makes it look like you can use the LCD on the E-330 almost like you do on a point & shoot digital. The rest of their d-SLR's you can't use it, except to review pics after they are taken.

I want the E-500 since it comes with more accessories and lenses for about the same price as the E-330.

There ARE cameras that are like an SLR, in alot of ways, but, according to the guy at the camera store, a 'true' SLR can't display the image at the time of the taking of the pic. Too technical for me to re-explain, but, it made sense at the time he said it. :o

slleipnir
10-12-2006, 04:25 PM
I want that camera.

I don't know what you mean...do you mean, you can see stuff on the display before taking the picture?? Mine doesn't do that. I get an image pop up after, but not before...

slleipnir
10-12-2006, 04:29 PM
There ARE cameras that are like an SLR, in alot of ways, but, according to the guy at the camera store, a 'true' SLC can't display the image at the time of the taking of the pic. Too technical for me to re-explain, but, it made sense at the time he said it. :o

I've heard that too. When I bought mine I asked why I couldn't take pictures using the display. He explained it but I didn't really get it. I think an SLR takes more exact pictures. You look though the eye thing, and what you see is what you get....where as non SLRs it uses mirrors or something? Anyway, what you take isn't exactly what you see....

sorry I know know technical names or anything so that probably didn't make sense...

Glacier
10-12-2006, 04:30 PM
One of the big upgrades on the E-500 is its large 2.5" LCD display.

Ah, yup, now I understand!. It's the E-330 that has live viewing, not the E-500. The E-330 is newer(despite the lower number, Olympus does weird naming things sometimes!). Here's the E-330 review from that site:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/e330-review/index.shtml

I've been watching the E-500 since it was released. There's only one camera shop here and the owner knows me well! He always lets me know when the price drops..it's almost under 1000 bucks now and I almost have enough saved for it. If I can just convince my dogs to take a break on the vet bills, I'm set! :rolleyes:

Have fun with your new toy. I'm looking forward to some pics of your boy!

Glacier
10-12-2006, 04:33 PM
There ARE cameras that are like an SLR, in alot of ways, but, according to the guy at the camera store, a 'true' SLC can't display the image at the time of the taking of the pic. Too technical for me to re-explain, but, it made sense at the time he said it. :o

I think you mean a "prosumer" camera. That's what my camera guy calls my Olympus C-5060. It's not a point and shoot(although you can set it to fully automatic), not a pocket camera. It has lots of manual options, all sorts of settings and tricks, but you can't change the lense and you can use the LCD to take pics.

Cataholic
10-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Glacier, I made a change to my post. I said SLC, when I meant, SLR. No SLR camera gives you the function of viewing the picture AS you are taking it. (or, that is what the guy told me, and the first web site mentioned..... :confused: ).

Like Audrey said, hard to articulate, but, it makes sense. I **think**.

I have taken some pics, and WOW what a difference...but, the price was steep. So, I am going to play around with it for a few days, and make the final, final decision.

Thank you all for your input!

Johanna

slleipnir
10-12-2006, 05:15 PM
I paid 1500 (with taxes and stuff) for my canon rebel SLR. I don't regret it one bit. I know that's probably too much for a camera, but I really like it. If I could use it better, I would be all set.

finn's mom
10-12-2006, 05:26 PM
I know you've already pretty much gotten your answers, but, I wanted to chime in with how odd it has been for me to get back into using a viewfinder to take photos. I had my 35 mm camera for years, so, I knew I could get used to it again. I remember how weird it was to NOT use a viewfinder when I first had access to a digital. The camera I have now is an SLR, and, only uses the display for reviewing, and not taking, photos. I love my camera, though (it's a D80), and, am really enjoying getting to know it. I have a lot more to learn, though, as there are many things it's capable of. I think you will love the Nikon you got, and, definitely do not think it's a waste of money. Have fun with it! Can't wait to see those "toddler in action" shots. ;)

moosmom
10-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Jo,

Nikons are THE best! My Dad used one as a photojournalist and so do all the photographers at the newspaper I worked at. Excellent choice.

Cataholic
10-13-2006, 10:04 AM
<wipes the sleep out of her eyes, after staying up way too late to read the manual>...WOW! I **love** my new camera! The pics are so crisp, the shots so fast, and I don't even know how to use it yet! Sadly, none of my old SLR lens fit, which figgers..... :(

Thanks again for the input, and I can't wait to upload some photos.

cloverfdx
10-14-2006, 01:42 AM
Congratulations on the new purchase Johanna, i cannot wait to see some photos :).

Have more to add later ;).