PDA

View Full Version : Sponsoring a ringworm kitten for Tracy

Lizzie
10-10-2006, 09:09 PM
I've asked Tracy (of Reach out Rescue and the Olney kittens) to find out how much it would cost to pay for oral medicine for one kitten with ringworm. If I can possibly afford it, I will sponsor one kitten for this oral medicine. Can I ask others to consider sponsoring the other thirteen.

The research I've done on ringworm in multi-cat facilities, especially rescues and small shelters, has given me rather grim findings. Not that the cats suffered more than you would expect, but that it can take many months and even up to year to get rid of the infection. During that time, there is always the risk of re-infection and the very real problem that kittens are steadily moving toward a less-adoptable age. Oral medicine, while it is harsher than topical, is the only way to treat ringworm fast, to get it out of the body, and to give some residual resistance.

Tracy rescued the kittens that have brought ringworm into her home when they were minutes away from dying. For this good deed she has suffered extensively. She puts a good face on it, almost always sounding positive and upbeat, but if I'm tired from caring for three, then what she is going through is inimaginable. We need to help her stop this madness now.

Now I'll get off my soapbox and cuddle my Dude while I eat potato chips, my treat after most of the ringworm work is done for one evening.

catmandu
10-10-2006, 09:16 PM
God Bless you for helping Dude.
What a kind heart you have.

kimlovescats
10-10-2006, 09:17 PM
I've posted this before, and again, maybe I was just extremely lucky. But when I had a ringworm "outbreak" , all I did was bathe them with the Maleseb (sp?) shampoo and use the anti-fungal spray on the lesions. Of course around the face, I sprayed a q-tip and applied it that way. My kittens cleared up on their own in a few weeks and were adopted. Only a very few of my adults got it, and theirs was only a spot or two ... no big deal. I have never (reaches quickly to knock on wood) had another case of it yet ... not even with a kitten. Again, maybe I was just extremely lucky?

Catty1
10-10-2006, 09:41 PM
PM me and let me know, Lizzie.

Lizzie
10-10-2006, 09:55 PM
I've posted this before, and again, maybe I was just extremely lucky. But when I had a ringworm "outbreak" , all I did was bathe them with the Maleseb (sp?) shampoo and use the anti-fungal spray on the lesions. Of course around the face, I sprayed a q-tip and applied it that way. My kittens cleared up on their own in a few weeks and were adopted. Only a very few of my adults got it, and theirs was only a spot or two ... no big deal. I have never (reaches quickly to knock on wood) had another case of it yet ... not even with a kitten. Again, maybe I was just extremely lucky?

Yes, Kim, I think you were very lucky, as I was the first time when I fostered a Persian kitten with it all over his body. I didn't do any special cleaning of his room afterwards but none of my other cats got it, and some were kittens. I couldn't, wouldn't believe it was going to be different this time but it's been awful. I finally faced the truth last weekend when I tore out the carpet in the isolation room and tossed out the sofa. I'm desparate to have done with it but I know it will go on for at least another month now that Ashley has it.

kimlovescats
10-10-2006, 10:14 PM
Yes, Kim, I think you were very lucky, as I was the first time when I fostered a Persian kitten with it all over his body. I didn't do any special cleaning of his room afterwards but none of my other cats got it, and some were kittens. I couldn't, wouldn't believe it was going to be different this time but it's been awful. I finally faced the truth last weekend when I tore out the carpet in the isolation room and tossed out the sofa. I'm desparate to have done with it but I know it will go on for at least another month now that Ashley has it.

Yikes! As much as I would like new carpet, don't guess I want to get it that way! :eek: I'm so sorry you two are having to deal with this so badly!!!! I hope to goodness my luck holds out! Did you have hardwood or something already under your carpet, or are you down to subflooring???

Kim

Lizzie
10-11-2006, 09:45 AM
I'm down to the plywood subflooring but have taped a tarp over it. It certainly makes cleaning up Ashley's messes much easier.

Anyway, this thread is no longer needed because Tracy made the hard, but very necessary, choice to take the kittens to a no-kill shelter for continued treatment.