PDA

View Full Version : Stray cat?

Sam's My Baby
06-04-2002, 01:49 PM
Yesterday I encoutered what seemed to be a stray cat. This cat was very skinny, although I couldnt see her ribs, he/she was still very thin. I approached the cat to see if he/she was a familiar one of the neighbors but It wasnt. It mewed and mewed at mewed at me so I decieded to get it some food, and when I did, it ate like it would never eat again. When the kitty was finished, he/she ran into the woods. Do you think it will be back again for more food? I am very afraid that it will starve to death if it doesnt get enough food. Any ideas?:confused:

Ann
06-04-2002, 02:00 PM
I fed a stray cat for a good year once... I called him (of course, it could just as well had been a she) Pilgrim. A beautiful cat, never let me pet him :( One day he just stopped coming and I never saw Pilgrim again... Still brings tears to my eyes thinking bout it.

Anyways, I'd just be on the lookout for the cat... It might try to come back tomorrow at the same place, same time. Maybe even put out food and let it stand outside the whole time if it's a possiblity for you.

Good luck!

krazyaboutkatz
06-05-2002, 12:03 AM
If you keep feeding it about the same time each day, I would think that it would keep coming back since it sounded like it was starving. Good luck.:)

Sam's My Baby
06-05-2002, 11:36 AM
Thanks everyone! I will update if he/she comes back :)

Kat Kommando
06-05-2002, 12:39 PM
Do you have a friend or local rescue that could lend a live trap with smell tuna? (see http://www.livetrap.com/) Next best thing might be if the cat could go into a room or garage. Be careful about catching it because as Forrest Gump says "you never know what your gonna get". At least the cat can be neutered, and if it tames, it could have a home!

Sam's My Baby
06-05-2002, 03:03 PM
Hey everyone. The cat came back today, and I was really happy. It was also very affectionate and let me pet him, and he really really liked it too. The only thing he does not like is being picked up. I dont know if my neigbors or anyone has a trap, but I could check. I will probably wait a few weeks or so before I catch him. :)

Ann
06-06-2002, 06:30 AM
That's great news!! So glad to hear he came back and that he also let you pet him!!

Are you planning on keeping him yourself or finding him a home if you do manage to catch him (hearing how friendly he is, it sounds like that won't be so hard hopefully)?

Randi
06-06-2002, 06:49 AM
Thats good news, you seem to have got a friend for life now! :D what colour is he/she?

I'm really glad to hear you've put food out. Poor little thing! If you can, try also to put water out! :) In time you'll be able to catch him/her in a box, if you put some yummies in it. ;)

Please keep us updated! :)

wayne0214
06-06-2002, 07:02 AM
Sam's my baby; sometimes you can lure thenm into your house, especially if they are familiar with being inside. You can use cat yummies, or a can of tuna or perhaps a cat food can of salmon might do the trick. However, if you eventually bring him inside, you might leave a door open so he can run out at will if he becomes scared of something. But the fact that he allowed you to pet him, seems to me that he is a stray that was owend by someone, who either mistreated him or abandoned him. BTW, what color is he?:)

Early in the mornings, before sun-up, I'm alway finding strays eating the food that is kept outside for my pets. This morning there was a long furred, white and gray cat, and yesterday I saw a siamese-looking seal-point cat with long fur. Unfortunately, all of these animals are feral, and as soon as they see me behind the glass window, there are gone. 'Wish I could domesticate them and add them to the menagerie.

........wayne

Sam's My Baby
06-06-2002, 01:39 PM
I am hoping that I will be able to keep him (I think its a him) becuase I have always loved cats and always wanted one. My mom just never let me have one. She seems to really like this one, so hopefully she will. :) He is a striped tabby that is brown and black and white. He also has a tiny bit of orange on him, and his belly is white with a little patch in the middle. I will try to get a picture of him sometime if I can with my brother's digital camera. I think next time I will try opening the door so he can come inside to feed him. Ill let you know how it goes. Today it is real rainy outside so he probably wont come, he is probably somewhere keeping out of the rain. Yes, I do think that he could have been someone's pet at one point since he is so friendly with people. He also likes to rub on my legs after a nice meal.:D :) ;)
Thanx for your advice and support.:)

krazyaboutkatz
06-06-2002, 10:58 PM
The stray cat sounds very beautiful. I hope everything goes well and that you can eventually keep him. Thanks for the update. Good luck.:)

06-07-2002, 09:04 AM
:) you are doing a great job !!!!
Keep feeding and petting the little one , and one day "it" will trust you enough to come inside and stay your companion and friend forever !!!
Good luck !!

http://community.webshots.com/user/sydneybilliepets

Sam's My Baby
06-08-2002, 07:46 PM
Thanks everyone, but the kitty hasnt come for the past 3 days, and I am concerned. It has been real rainy and I think thats why, he is probably somewhere out of the rain and does not want to walk in it. I really hope he comes back soon to get some food fast. I am also concerned about a cut on his ear that was bleeding when I saw it, and all the fur around the cut was gone. :( I wanted to catch him and take him to the vet to check it out and also to get him neutered....Then I am hopefully keeping him, but I need him to come back and I miss him dearly!!:(

krazyaboutkatz
06-08-2002, 08:57 PM
Just try to be patient and if it's meant to be then he'll come back and then hopefully you'll be able to catch him so he can get checked out by the vet. Good luck.:)