PDA

View Full Version : Garden Mums Are They Toxic?

Craftlady
10-10-2006, 04:00 PM
I've searched all other the net and cant find anything about garden mum's. I want to bring in a few clippings from my fall mums outside but dont want to make my gang sick. Any clue if they are toxic to cats?

Lizzie
10-10-2006, 04:29 PM
The Latin name for garden mums is Chrysanthemum morifolium and that is listed as a toxic plant for pets because the sap (in leaves and stem) contains oxalic salts.

From: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/fall-and-winter-holiday-plant-toxicity-in-dogs/page1.aspx

"Chrysanthemum (Chrysanthemum morifolium). Ingestion results in vomiting, diarrhea, depression, drooling and lack of appetite."

Craftlady
10-10-2006, 08:12 PM
The Latin name for garden mums is Chrysanthemum morifolium and that is listed as a toxic plant for pets because the sap (in leaves and stem) contains oxalic salts.

From: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/fall-and-winter-holiday-plant-toxicity-in-dogs/page1.aspx

"Chrysanthemum (Chrysanthemum morifolium). Ingestion results in vomiting, diarrhea, depression, drooling and lack of appetite."

Thank You for information, guess I wont be bringing in cuttings :(

smokey the elder
10-11-2006, 08:11 AM
I think chrysanthemums also contain pyrethroids, which are natural insecticides and toxic to cats.

Lizzie
10-11-2006, 08:29 AM
Pyrethroids, in the same family, are very toxic. I nearly posted about that first but then remembered that potatoes and tomatoes are in the same botanic family as belladona, and carrots are in the same family of some other poison that I can't remember, so I really didn't know until I checked if garden mums were on the "light side" or the "dark side" of their family.

Cats are known for being much better than dogs at avoiding things that are poisonous or tainted. Do they chew on ponsettias and such because they are the only greens in the house? Or are indoor cats less able to differentiate what is bad for them? Although I remember seeing a neighbor's young outdoor cat chew on their convolvulus weed and ran forward in panic. But he threw it up right away.

Craftlady
10-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Cherry tomatoes at my house are toys that get batted around before I can wash them and get them put away. Bless their hearts they dont try to eat them at all.