PDA

View Full Version : Sequins for work?

catnapper
10-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Ok folks, yet another fashion question from me!

I have a huge trade show to go to tomorrow. Its where all the designers and professionals in the region go to network, mingle, party, and happen upon some new products along the way ;) I'm trying to find something in my pitiful wardrobe that looks fabulous for tomorrow.

What I have is a pretty sweater mom gave me that is a deep greyish lavendar color. That matches with a charcoal grey and plum plaid pants. The grey sweater is pretty but kills my complexion. But its a cool sweater with a funky neckline just right for a designer's trade show.

The other, which I REALLY want to wear, is a black cardigan sweater (very fine knit) with sequin roses down the front. Its so pretty and very slimming too (well as slim as a plus size gal can look ;)) and I wear a light rosey pink fine knit sweater underneath it, pulling out the rose colored sequins. I would pair it with either black pants or a black skirt.

OR I can wear the same black silk suit I've worn forever and a day. It DOES look awesome on me and is very comfortable... I basically feel like I'm wearing pajamas when I'm in this suit. I would typically jazz it up with some pretty jewelry but I still don't have anything replaced since the robbery - not even any fun costume jewelry.

Sooo....... is it wrong to wear sequins during the day to a trade show? Is there even such a thing as "wrong" to a trade show? I've seen people wear many things to this event. Mostly what sticks in my mind is the stilleto heels a lot of the ladies wore. I can't imagine walking concrete convention center floors all day in heels, let alone the ones some of the women wore! :eek:

Pawsitive Thinking
10-10-2006, 10:33 AM
The other, which I REALLY want to wear, is a black cardigan sweater (very fine knit) with sequin roses down the front. Its so pretty and very slimming too (well as slim as a plus size gal can look ) and I wear a light rosey pink fine knit sweater underneath it, pulling out the rose colored sequins. I would pair it with either black pants or a black skirt.

You really want to wear this, so put in on!! You know you are going to look fabulous darling. You don't have to dress like everyone else or to please anyone else but YOU!

Have a great time

caseysmom
10-10-2006, 10:58 AM
I think considering your an artist and this is an artisty function that would be fine, and actually appropriate.

BC_MoM
10-10-2006, 11:04 AM
I agree! Wear it! You don't want to go in something that bothers you, or makes you feel less pretty than another piece of clothing, or makes you feel uncomfortable!

Dress for yourself, not someone else!

moosmom
10-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Kim,

Wear whatever makes YOU feel comfortable. You can always accessorize.

I don't think people at the trade show are going to be looking at how everyone dresses. They're more interested in your craft. Go get 'em, girl!!!

Karen
10-10-2006, 11:34 AM
If you were going to an Insurance Sale Convention, maybe sequins would be out, and the black suit in, but you're not! It's design! Go, sparkle, shine and stand out! You are, in effect, going there to market yourself, so go and be fabulous! :)

Some women, by the way, are most comfortable in heels. If you wear them enough, it can happen. Also I have a friend I've known since kindergarten who actually NEEDS to wear at least a one-inch heal at all times, her Achillies tendon is too short. She's also not overly tall, so doen't mind the extra height, but she always has to have some kind of heel.

RedHedd
10-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Wear it! You'll look mahvelous and feel pretty in it.

kuhio98
10-10-2006, 12:27 PM
If you were going to an Insurance Sale Convention, maybe sequins would be out, and the black suit in, but you're not! It's design! Go, sparkle, shine and stand out! You are, in effect, going there to market yourself, so go and be fabulous! :) Totally agree. If I showed up at one of my boring pipeline maintenance meetings with sequins, the guys would make cracks and ask me where my feather boa was. But sequins at your meeting sounds perfect. Go for it and have a wonderful day!