PDA

View Full Version : Is there something wrong with this sentence?

Catty1
10-10-2006, 08:20 AM
The story is sad...but the way the newspaper started off the story this morning, sounds like the guy is in better shape than they thought...

Cops are investigating after a man was discovered dead overlooking the Bow River this morning.

:eek:

Lady's Human
10-10-2006, 08:21 AM
Well, if they found him while he was overlooking the river, he can't be TOO dead, can he? :p

Pawsitive Thinking
10-10-2006, 08:23 AM
Hope they get a second opinion....

Randi
10-10-2006, 08:24 AM
There's definately something wrong with that sentence! It makes no sense at all, and it doesn't help much to change the words around! :rolleyes:

Catty1
10-10-2006, 08:30 AM
Randi - exactly! This is TOO funny, and I wonder if the writer is getting thoroughly teased by their colleagues today! :D

Randi
10-10-2006, 08:47 AM
It's amazing they get away with it. I suppose they try to get it all in one "smart" sentence, but this certainly doesn't work! There's a collection somewhere on the web of all of these silly mistakes.

The instructions/manuals to various gadgets are even worse. I think John posted some of them here a few years ago.

Craftlady
10-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Cops are investigating after a man was discovered dead overlooking the Bow River this morning.

I dont see anything strange or funny. Because,
The "overlooking" is a figure of speech to describe where they found the man.

They could of said "around the Bow River" - "near the Bow River" - "at the Bow River" for example.

Overlooking is used allot to describie locations.

moosmom
10-10-2006, 09:54 AM
As a former staff writer at a newspaper, blame the editors. THEY are the ones that have the final say in how the article is edited and printed.

Ginger's Mom
10-10-2006, 10:34 AM
I dont see anything strange or funny. Because,
The "overlooking" is a figure of speech to describe where they found the man.

They could of said "around the Bow River" - "near the Bow River" - "at the Bow River" for example.

Overlooking is used allot to describie locations.
I have to disagree. "Overlooking" has to describe something. The road overlooking, or a terrace overlooking, but just "overlooking" is wrong. Since they didn't qualify the verb with another subject it leaves one believing the man is "overlooking" the Bow River. The other examples you gave didn't involve verbs, so they did not need an additional subject.

lizbud
10-10-2006, 10:38 AM
They could have said that the man was found dead at the bow river
overlook. That would make better sense.

Rachel
10-10-2006, 11:09 AM
I think I would put it....

Cops are investigating after a man was discovered dead this morning on a spot overlooking the Bow River .

Edwina's Secretary
10-10-2006, 11:15 AM
I assume the view must be deadly......

Jessika
10-10-2006, 12:04 PM
I have to disagree. "Overlooking" has to describe something. The road overlooking, or a terrace overlooking, but just "overlooking" is wrong. Since they didn't qualify the verb with another subject it leaves one believing the man is "overlooking" the Bow River. The other examples you gave didn't involve verbs, so they did not need an additional subject.
Well, it could be using to describe the spot they found the body at, the spot was overlooking the river. That makes sense.

Randi
10-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Rachel, that is how they should have put it!!

Ginger's Mom
10-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Well, it could be using to describe the spot they found the body at, the spot was overlooking the river. That makes sense.
Yes, it could have. Unfortunately, it didn't say that, and that is what makes the sentence incorrect. In a news article the reader should not have to try guess what the writer is describing.

Pam
10-10-2006, 04:26 PM
I assume the view must be deadly......

ROTFLOL!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

I am always correcting my boss' grammar in his dictation so I got a huge laugh out of this whole story.

Randi, I, too, have read that collection of mistakes and I think they were medical in nature, as I recall, dictated by doctors, which made it all the more hilarious to me. I wish I had copied it and saved it. :)