PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a cat door...yipee...

carole
10-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Not a terribly interesting subject to write about i know, but i am thrilled to finally have one of these, i did not get the magnetic type as with four cats i figured if they lost them i could not afford to keep buying them, so i have to hope for the best.

Nikki, or nosey nikki as we call her for obvious reasons, was first on the scene inspecting it, however she was not game to go through, i finally coaxed her in and out, but she has not done it by herself yet, I pushed lexie gently through and she was seen patting the door with her paw later on, but no she did not attempt to use it either.
:)
Ella just sat and looked at it dumbfounded, then started scratching at it with her paw, i pushed her through a few times but no she has not tryed either.
Finally i got old Ash to have a look, he sniffed around and then walked off , i put him outside, and low and behold i was in the kitchen turned around and there he was, yep the old guy had mastered it within a sec, smart boy eh?
So i guess it will take them some time to get the hang of it, lets hope i have not wasted eighty five dollars, and they finally all work it out.

slleipnir
10-10-2006, 07:28 AM
I just installed one too for my two. I thought it would take them a while to figure it out, but after a couple times showing them, they figured it out and use it by themselves now. If my two can figure it out, and cat can :rolleyes:

moosmom
10-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Years ago when I was a kid, my Dad installed a doggie door for our two Airedales. He had me climbing in and out to show them how it was done. They got the idea, but boy was I mortified!!!

carole
10-10-2006, 03:39 PM
He he Donna, um i dont think i could fit my leg even through the cat door though, well Lexie has worked it out for coming back inside, she taps it with her paw for ages then finally pushes her head through, now Ella and Nikki, they just sit and stare at it, dumbfounded, i have pushed them all through it back and forth a few times hoping they get the idea but those two just won't attempt it,i guess in time they may finally work it out, had to install it in a fixed window, but seems to be working ok,Ash is an old hat at it already, i am firm with them and don't let them out any other way if i can help it, of course the other two i still have to get up and open the doors to let them in and out most of the time, still some cats just take time, took my nieces's cat three weeks to work it out.

I guess my Ash and Lexie are just a bit smarter eh?

My main reason for getting one was that Lexie likes to sleep indoors most of the day and of course is always in at night as are all the cats,but when i went away even for a few hours shopping i was always worried incase there was a fire and she was trapped,now i can have peace of mind.

moosmom
10-10-2006, 03:41 PM
My Dad also propped it open so they could go in and out freely. Then he closed it and they got the idea.

Carole,

If I tried to climb through it NOW, they'd have to use the jaws of life to extricate me!! :p

sasvermont
10-10-2006, 03:45 PM
I think the instruction say to prop it open, then close it once they get the hang of it.

Mine all use one. It does crimp their style a little but mine only get to go out on to a porch in the winter .... use the open people door in the summer .... not to the outside....... although they WISH! ;)

carole
10-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Yes we figured that would be the best way to do it, will do that so they get the idea better, i think they are a little scared of the door hitting their heads, and as they go in slowly kind grabs their tail,not hurting them, but scaring them a little, only time will tell, but i reckon they will master it ,if not i guess my two newbies are not too bright after all,but i have faith they will all get the hang of it soon.

Ha Ha Donna yep i get the picture . :D