PDA

View Full Version : Designer dog breed magazine!!

buttercup132
10-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Yep a magazine dedicated to stupid designer breeds. Its simply called Designer dogs. I skimmed through it while in Pet Smart and read something that said they werent just a fad , they were here to stay...:mad: :rolleyes:

luvofallhorses
10-09-2006, 08:17 PM
I wouldn't waste my money on something like that. :rolleyes:

buttercup132
10-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Me either. I felt like ripping them all up.

(I didint buy one incase thats what you thought)
I just looked through it.

BC_MoM
10-09-2006, 08:27 PM
That's disgusting!!!

I'm going to find out who is making this and am going to send them a lengthy email.....

MajesticCollies
10-09-2006, 08:51 PM
buttercup132

I skimmed through it while in Pet Smart

Hey Alicia, Just to get off the subject. I was wondering if the Pet Smart in Canada has Steele's poster in it? I wasn't sure. They are here in the states but don't know if they went up to Canada? This is his poster and its usually in the bone Isle. Would you check for me? Thanks

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m298/majesticcollies/IM_A0028-1.jpg

And to reply, it seems like a waste of ink doesn't it. Who would even bee interested in that. Well I guess we know who dont we. Anything for a buck people.

luvofallhorses
10-09-2006, 08:54 PM
(I didint buy one incase thats what you thought)
I just looked through it.
no I didn't think you bought one! :p

finn's mom
10-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Designer breeds are becoming really popular, it's just a new thing, and new things are generally looked down upon. At the pet resort I work at, we have a lot of regulars who have designer breeds. I wouldn't say it's just a trend anymore, it's becoming something I'd say might be here for awhile, if not for good. I find it irritating, but, I'm sure most breeds brought about some sort of backlash when they were first created and accepted. I don't know, I'm not going to judge people who buy these dogs, they're really no better or worse than people who buy purebreds of any kind. Of course, some of them are doing it just because it's the "designer" thing to do...but, heck there are people who still only buy Yorkies because that's the cute thing to do, and, people who still buy black and white cockers to go with their black and white furniture. Those kinds of people irritate me, but, I've met a lot of people who get designer breeds because they really do like the look of the dog or the characteristics of the mix. Or, like me, they simply run into it and fall in love. I know I wasn't looking to buy a labrador. It just sort of happened. Anyway, that magazine will probably be a big hit, I am honestly surprised it's taken this long to get one out. :/

Suki Wingy
10-09-2006, 09:45 PM
I'm pretty sure I've seen that picture of Steele in the US, next to the one with the Neapolitan, right?

lute
10-10-2006, 11:22 AM
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Sevaede
10-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Hey Alicia, Just to get off the subject. I was wondering if the Pet Smart in Canada has Steele's poster in it? I wasn't sure. They are here in the states but don't know if they went up to Canada? This is his poster and its usually in the bone Isle. Would you check for me? Thanks

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m298/majesticcollies/IM_A0028-1.jpg

And to reply, it seems like a waste of ink doesn't it. Who would even bee interested in that. Well I guess we know who dont we. Anything for a buck people.

I tried looking for Steeles picture at the Petsmart here and he is not in it. I tried searching the whole store to no avail. :(

pitc9
10-10-2006, 01:15 PM
I just don't understand how dogs that used to be called Mutts are now called Designer Breeds?
Make me want to PUKE!!!!

zoomer
10-10-2006, 01:35 PM
I know about that, I was going to post something about it but didn't. They've got them all over and I definetley wouldn't waste money on something so useless :rolleyes:

Danegirl2208
10-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Ukk..i've seen it..yes, definatly a waste of ink..

Oh and Tim,
i belive i've seen that poster at our local petsmart here in Arizona, i havent paid it much attention.. but i will definatly go check it out again when we go again! :)

Jessika
10-10-2006, 09:32 PM
I would write to Petsmart and say shame on them for supporting BYBs and puppy mills by carrying that magazine.

timlewis
10-11-2006, 10:31 AM
im not sure i understand, what is the big deal about designer breeds? and what are designer breeds?

Jessika
10-14-2006, 06:39 PM
im not sure i understand, what is the big deal about designer breeds? and what are designer breeds?
Designer breeds are two different "purebred" dogs bred to make a mutt. Some examples of designer breeds are labradoodles, goldendoodles, puggles, and many others

GreyhoundGirl
10-14-2006, 06:49 PM
AND... They are about the stupidest thing this planet has come up with. It is trying to combine two worlds, the good dog people, and the bad *popular people. :mad:

They tend to have horrible breed defects,too. And many health issues. :(

There are enough mixed breeds that you don't have to make "pure" mixed breeds. Like a golden retriver that doesn't shed? Sounds like a mothers dream. In dream better than reality.

Just my opinion, but I think the whole "clothes on dogs" is a dumb thing. Dogs aren't fashion statements. How would you like to be forced into a humiliation outfit, for the pure "statement" of it? All these halloween costumes, and other goofy things celebrities are making "cool".

And than all these celebrities buy small, fluffy, white dogs and but them in 300$ suede carriers and carry them around the mall in them as if they were purses !! :mad:

I have not seen the magazine, and I'm thinking it better that way, because if I did see it I would probably get trouble from the manager for some of the things that would happen. ;)

Anyways, I'm getting angry and off the topic, so I think I'll end here.

Jessika
10-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Oops forgot to mention, designer breeds are bred to meet public demand. The public wanted a hypoallergenic dog, but didn't want a poodle. So thus the labra- and golden-doodles were born. All the fun of a lab or golden, but hypoallergenic AND shed free. what I find hilarious is that though they may not shed, NO dog is hypoallergenic, all dogs have skin and saliva. I'd like to try to see them breed that out.

zoomer
10-14-2006, 07:02 PM
Designer breeds are two different "purebred" dogs bred to make a mutt. Some examples of designer breeds are labradoodles, goldendoodles, puggles, and many others

And then they make them real dog breed names and people are registering them with kennel clubs and everything else when they are really just mixed breeds....

GreyhoundGirl
10-14-2006, 07:12 PM
And they give them stupid names that are attracting people that know NOTHING about caring for dogs. Just people that wanna look "cool"

What I hate most is cities are PUSHING it !!! Editorials are LOVING IT !!! :mad: When ever a photographer sees one of these *interesting dogs on the streets, they take pics of it on a walk . They write

Example :::

" May-Poo (just the sort of name one would have :rolleyes: ) and her owner Don't-Poo, I. ( ;) ) walking down 2nd street on a lovely saturday afternoon. May-Poo, a golden-doodle is almost 5 months old, her owner says she knew a GD would be the perfect dog for her. She says these are the best breed of dag out there, and she loves the golden retrever temperment with the poodle's shedding. She got May-Poo at Dumb-Dogs kennels were more GDs will be available at the end of this week. Dumb-Dog kennels is now selling their GD at half price ( only 9999 $ !!!!! ) So, if you want the best dog out there, check out Dumb-Dog kennels."

Actually, I made that up on the spot, it was very fun to write, got some of the acsess anger out of me. We should have a contest, see who can write the most horrible designer dog story. :cool:

buttercup132
10-14-2006, 07:18 PM
Disigner breeds are over priced mutts that have become the new fashion icon of 2006.

A Pug/Beagle now selling for $1000 same type of dog in the shelter for $20
What idiots.

And no I havnt seen Steels picture. I'll make sure to double check next time.

buttercup132
10-14-2006, 07:26 PM
AND... They are about the stupidest thing this planet has come up with. It is trying to combine two worlds, the good dog people, and the bad *popular people. :mad:

They tend to have horrible breed defects,too. And many health issues. :(

There are enough mixed breeds that you don't have to make "pure" mixed breeds. Like a golden retriver that doesn't shed? Sounds like a mothers dream. In dream better than reality.

Just my opinion, but I think the whole "clothes on dogs" is a dumb thing. Dogs aren't fashion statements. How would you like to be forced into a humiliation outfit, for the pure "statement" of it? All these halloween costumes, and other goofy things celebrities are making "cool".

And than all these celebrities buy small, fluffy, white dogs and but them in 300$ suede carriers and carry them around the mall in them as if they were purses !! :mad:

I have not seen the magazine, and I'm thinking it better that way, because if I did see it I would probably get trouble from the manager for some of the things that would happen. ;)

Anyways, I'm getting angry and off the topic, so I think I'll end here.Some dogs like the extra warmth in the winter...
Are you saying hairless Chinese Cresteds should freeze in the winter because YOU think they look dumb? How do you know that they dont like being dressed up? Some dogs do enjoy it. As soon as you put some close on them they will strunt around like they are so proud of themselves.

Also people use pet carriers like that so they can bring there dogs into the stores. What do you think people would rather see , a dog walking in the mall on a leash? Or a dog in a purse? Majority people are idots and think tha because a dog is walking around they are going to relive themselves all over.

And quite a few people on PT dress there dogs up for Haloween to go out with thier kids..

Miss Z
10-15-2006, 07:53 AM
Some dogs like the extra warmth in the winter...
Are you saying hairless Chinese Cresteds should freeze in the winter because YOU think they look dumb? How do you know that they dont like being dressed up? Some dogs do enjoy it. As soon as you put some close on them they will strunt around like they are so proud of themselves.

Also people use pet carriers like that so they can bring there dogs into the stores. What do you think people would rather see , a dog walking in the mall on a leash? Or a dog in a purse? Majority people are idots and think tha because a dog is walking around they are going to relive themselves all over.

And quite a few people on PT dress there dogs up for Haloween to go out with thier kids..

I think she was referring to the type of people that like to out-do their friends and neighbours by dressing their dogs in frills and frocks and dying them every colour under the sun simply to show off. I agree some thin-coated or hairless varieties need some sort of protection for the winter and of course there's nothing wrong with the bit of occasional fun. :)

Back on topic, all I can say is what a waste of a good tree. :rolleyes:

GreyhoundGirl
10-15-2006, 08:12 AM
Some dogs like the extra warmth in the winter...

Wow... Little harsh there. Not even what I ment. :rolleyes: I'm talking about the stupid celebrities who put their dogs in frilly skirts and other such stuff.

Alysser
10-15-2006, 09:42 AM
And they give them stupid names that are attracting people that know NOTHING about caring for dogs. Just people that wanna look "cool"

What I hate most is cities are PUSHING it !!! Editorials are LOVING IT !!! :mad: When ever a photographer sees one of these *interesting dogs on the streets, they take pics of it on a walk . They write

Example :::

" May-Poo (just the sort of name one would have :rolleyes: ) and her owner Don't-Poo, I. ( ;) ) walking down 2nd street on a lovely saturday afternoon. May-Poo, a golden-doodle is almost 5 months old, her owner says she knew a GD would be the perfect dog for her. She says these are the best breed of dag out there, and she loves the golden retrever temperment with the poodle's shedding. She got May-Poo at Dumb-Dogs kennels were more GDs will be available at the end of this week. Dumb-Dog kennels is now selling their GD at half price ( only 9999 $ !!!!! ) So, if you want the best dog out there, check out Dumb-Dog kennels."

Actually, I made that up on the spot, it was very fun to write, got some of the acsess anger out of me. We should have a contest, see who can write the most horrible designer dog story. :cool:

Some dogs need clothes in the winter. My mom won't allow Sassy out of the house without her coat on in the winter, especially when she gets groomed and shaved down a bit. Her outfit is by no means "frilly" but it's sort of designer and I think she looks adorable in it. LOL, it has a little fake belt and rinestones. Don't greyhounds need jackets in the winter? They have very short fur. I also have some t-shirts for Sassy and I think they are cute but she doesn't wear them 24/7 and I really don't think they're nessicarly stupid.

About the designer dogs, they aren't very popular around here but it's sad that Petsmart, who supports the ASPCA and the Humane Society, actually sells that crap. They are supporting puppy mills and overpopulation. It saddens me people would actually buy such a waste of paper and ink. :(

husky_lover
10-15-2006, 03:09 PM
What I really don't understand is WHY people are buying this Disigner dogs when they could get the same breed at a humane society!!!! :mad: I had a friend once who wouldn't go into a Shelter because she said it was nasty. Instead she went out and got a Disigner dog for $5,ooo. I just didn't understand it. Then about a week later she didn't "like" it anymore so she took it to the Shelter and dropped it off in the middle of the night!! I really wanted to hurt her!!!!!! :mad: What is the deal with some people thinking dogs or even cats for that matter are fashion accecories now! It makes me so mad

*LabLoverKEB*
10-15-2006, 03:53 PM
This just makes me sooo mad that a pet store supports this! :mad: :mad: :(

Giselle
10-15-2006, 04:27 PM
What I really don't understand is WHY people are buying this Disigner dogs when they could get the same breed at a humane society!!!! :mad: I had a friend once who wouldn't go into a Shelter because she said it was nasty. Instead she went out and got a Disigner dog for $5,ooo. I just didn't understand it. Then about a week later she didn't "like" it anymore so she took it to the Shelter and dropped it off in the middle of the night!! I really wanted to hurt her!!!!!! :mad: What is the deal with some people thinking dogs or even cats for that matter are fashion accecories now! It makes me so mad
People like to outdo each other. They also like rare things. It's simple. It's human nature. You can not change it. Unfortunately, many people have decided to take advantage of these human weaknesses and create supposedly "rare mixes" and sell them for thousands of dollars. In American culture, price is often equivalent to quality. Therefore, high priced designer mixes are often bought as a status symbol. That's why designer mixes are so popular. Additionally, designer mixes like to play on human emotions - i.e. cuteness. All humans have a natural instinct to care for the young (meaning cute things). Scientifically, humans are attracted to small creatures with short noses, stubby arms and legs, and large heads. It is no surprise that designer mix puppies have become a hot commodity.

Disigner breeds are over priced mutts that have become the new fashion icon of 2006.

Not quite. Designer mixes have been popular for many years. The first time I heard of them was in 2001, but things have simply skyrocketed out of control. At that time, we'd only heard of Cockapoos, Pekeapoos, Labradoodles, and the occassional Goldendoodle/Schnoodle. It's a shame how drastically things have changed over the course of five years.