PDA

View Full Version : Ginger's exciting week-very long story sorry

Ginger's Mom
10-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Well Ginger has had a rather interesting few days. Yesterday was our Community Yard Sale, so after we took our morning walk I decided to get some things together and take them out and set up a table. Ginger promised me that if I took her with me she would be a very good girl. I was a little hesitant because she is such a skittish dog, and is afraid of people that she doesn’t know. Well, she did promise to be good so I took her out with me (it was only up to the corner, so if it didn’t work out it would take no more than a minute to bring her home). Well, let me tell you…:)…she was such a good girl. I was very proud of her. She was pleasant to everyone who came over, and laid down under trees when there was nothing going on. We were out there for three hours, and I never once regretted having her there. I was so proud of her.

Today was a very nice day, so I decided we would go to Freedom Park this morning. We go there at least once a month; it is a very nice park, with a large off-leash dog park, which includes two large fields and a wooded area with paths and a creek. When we go with her friends Hudson and Danny, they go into the creek to cool off. Ginger has shown a real desire to go in with them, but she is scared to go in. I have actually lost two tennis balls by throwing them into the creek to get her to go in after them. She will just go where the water covers her little feet and paw at the ball in an effort to get it to come back toward her. Okay, fast forward to today. Ginger and I went to Freedom Park; she ran around chased her ball and met new doggie friends. Okay, so several of us were walking the woods line together and they all went down the path toward the creek Ginger wanted to go too. Okay. :) She ran down to the water’s edge, and the Golden that was with us jumped in. Ginger, Max (another Eskie), Trump, and the humans all walked along the path next to the creek. When Ally (the Golden) tried to get out she couldn’t because the bank was too high. So we were trying to get her to swim further along where the bank was lower but she kept trying to climb out there. So I had this bright idea, well, what if I throw the ball further along upstream, will she swim up after it? Her mom said yeah, so I threw the tennis ball in the stream…

Yup, you guessed it, in jumped Ginger. :eek: And she panicked. All of the sudden Ally’s Mom yelled “She’s going under.” I guess I didn’t move fast enough, because the lady then says "I’ll get her”, she then handed me her coat and started to lower herself into the creek. :eek: Wait, it gets even better she then says “I can’t do it get help.” I think that means she is falling into the creek, so I yell for the other two ladies (who had walked on ahead) to help. Okay, well, Ally’s Mom climbs out just fine. So I go down the bank and am able to reach down to Ginger who is trying to crawl up toward me and pull her out. It was all pretty funny, because I never really thought Ginger was in any real danger. And she was quite happy and excited when she got out. Although she wasn’t as happy when she had to get a bath when she got home. ;)

Ginger has had quite an exciting week, and Wednesday I am going away for a few days and she is going to spend a few days at a friend’s house. She has never stayed with these friends before, but she does like going to visit them, and she really is crazy about the people and dogs there, so she should be fine. But, it sure is an exciting week for her…and it has just begun. ;)

Pembroke_Corgi
10-09-2006, 03:02 PM
She sounds like she was a very good girl at your garage sale.

Glad she made ok out of the creek, too. It's nice to know that someone is willing to wade in to save your dog. ;) :)

elizabethann
10-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Wow! That is an exciting weekend. I'm glad everybody made it out of the creek safe & sound.

Dorothy39
10-09-2006, 10:19 PM
Wow, I guess Ginger did have an exciting week!!! She's a Wonder Dog now!!! :cool: And, she is as good as Gold!! Such a well behaved lady during tht yard sale!!!

Great Story!!

shais_mom
10-09-2006, 11:39 PM
keep it up and she might be worn out for her visit! :) ;)
glad she's ok!

chocolatepuppy
10-10-2006, 05:04 AM
Wow Ginger, your life is far more exciting than mine! ;) I'm glad everyone got out of the creek! :D

Daisy and Delilah
10-10-2006, 06:56 AM
It sounds like the "adventuresome" side of Ginger may be starting to emerge, Joyce ;) It sounds like it could have gotten pretty hairy, pretty fast. I'm glad Ginger got out and all is well. Take it easy there Ginger, you don't want to scare Mom too much--be a good girl and just enjoy yourself :)

Ginger's Mom
10-10-2006, 08:29 AM
Yes, I think she is starting to get more adventurous. I just wish she would talk to me about it first before she does something like that. ;)
Thank you so much for your replies everyone. :D

pitc9
10-10-2006, 09:16 AM
Wow!!!
I'm sure she'll be resting up the entire time your gone!
Geeze!
I'm so glad everyone was able to get out of the creek ok!
Oh Ginger! I'm so happy you jumped in and Very proud of you for being on your best behavior at the yard sale.

Logan
10-10-2006, 10:21 AM
Oh good heavens! My heart was pounding when I read this!!! :eek: Ginger sounds a bit like my Mack, although I knew he couldn't swim, but never expected him to take a leap, right into my friend's pool, when her Golden jumped in after a ball! He sank like a rock!!!! :eek: I had to jump in with my clothes on to get him out.

So glad everyone was ok!!

Logan

Pawsitive Thinking
10-10-2006, 10:25 AM
I always thought dogs were instinctive swimmers.........guess not!

Good girl pretty Ginger

gemini9961
10-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Whew Ginger I am glad you made it out okay. It sounds like you scared your Mom more than yourself. :D Just tell her first before you jump into the water. :)