PDA

View Full Version : How do i find out how popular a breed is?

coco-bean
10-09-2006, 12:00 PM
I've been searching online for about an hour or so, just trying to figure out how popular certain breeds are! I was curious if there was any website or anything like that that would tell me how popular a certain breed is, and if it is desirable? thanks!

Jessika
10-09-2006, 12:33 PM
I found a list once that did them in order of popularity not alphabetically... I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Found one for AKC registrations for 2005. Aussies dropped down to #35 hehe (they were in the top #20 if I remember correctly?)

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/akc-breeds-by-popularity/page1.aspx

BC_MoM
10-09-2006, 12:52 PM
YAY! Border Collie is #55! I love bringing them down.

Jessika
10-09-2006, 01:06 PM
Oooh an even better more detailed link:

http://www.akc.org/reg/dogreg_stats.cfm

Of course this is for AKC once again. I can never find any information on UKC :(

Actually Jess Border Collies have gone UP in popularity since 2004. They were ranked 60 in 04 ;)

That really surprises me, though. I'd always thought BCs were a lot more popular than that. More popular than Aussies, anyway. :o

K9soul
10-09-2006, 01:17 PM
They are only AKC registration statistics though. I doubt a lot of working BCs are registered. I suppose you can get a general ballpark idea from it but I don't think there is a way to get a completely accurate list on popularity. I saw one awhile back when I was looking around that actually had lists by region. I.e. in MN sporting breeds were mostly towards the top, MN being such an "outdoorsman" type state. Where as larger cities had more dogs like yorkies and toy breeds.

BC_MoM
10-09-2006, 01:20 PM
Actually Jess Border Collies have gone UP in popularity since 2004. They were ranked 60 in 04 ;)

That really surprises me, though. I'd always thought BCs were a lot more popular than that. More popular than Aussies, anyway. :o

Really?? I thought they were in the 30's.. darn.

cali
10-09-2006, 03:14 PM
BCs ARE more popular then aussies, but real BCs waaaaaayyyy outnumber the AKC ones lol

BC_MoM
10-09-2006, 03:18 PM
BCs ARE more popular then aussies, but real BCs waaaaaayyyy outnumber the AKC ones lol

:D!

Being honest, I think the AKC Border Collies are ugly.

Any news on the house you and your Mom were possibly putting an offer on?

cali
10-09-2006, 03:20 PM
lol I agree, and they just keep getting worse, yuk!

we have not offered on the house, I dont know whats going on anymore, my mom just sort of stopped talking about it.

wolfsoul
10-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Groenendael are #111 bwaha. Tervuren are #100, and malinois are #87.

dab_20
10-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Poodles are #8 and Cocker's are #15. I don't really care how popular my breed is as long as it works for me! The sad part is the more popular the breed, the more bybs and puppy mills that are breeding them. :(

critter crazy
10-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Bloodhounds are #50!:)

CatLuvrs
10-09-2006, 05:51 PM
Wow doxies are #6!

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-09-2006, 05:52 PM
I hope Tollers stay at their #113 spot! The more rare a breed is, the better off it will be (in my opinion anyway).

BC_MoM
10-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Orangutango, you'll never guess what I found last night! :D

Muddy4paws
10-09-2006, 06:19 PM
:p :D Ahem..

Make way for the #1 ... MEG! well shes mine anyway ;)

Danegirl2208
10-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Great Danes are # 24..and the sad part is the numbers are growing and growing :(

wolfsoul
10-09-2006, 07:41 PM
It's funny how different the list iscompared to what it's like in my area. Here, tollers aren't uncommon, and the number of danes here are dwindling -- there are usually several ads in the paper that run for months from dane breeders trying to sell their puppies and finally giving them away for free.

finn's mom
10-09-2006, 07:47 PM
Labrador retrievers were the last breed I ever thought I'd get, just because I wanted something a bit uncommon. But, hey, you can't help you fall in love with. And, I wouldn't trade Finn for any rare breed ever. ;)

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-09-2006, 08:44 PM
I think the popularity really does differ from province to province, or state to state. I very rarely see Labs, Goldens, or any of the other breeds listed near the top around here. When I went to BC last, I think I saw more Tollers there than I ever have any other time in my life.

Suki Wingy
10-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Dalmatians are 77! Woohoo! We all saw what popularity did to them 10 years ago :( . Am staffs are sixty something. :)

Sevaede
10-10-2006, 11:33 AM
Groenendael are #111 bwaha. Tervuren are #100, and malinois are #87.

What about the Laekenois? :D

Jessika
10-10-2006, 12:01 PM
I think the popularity really does differ from province to province, or state to state. I very rarely see Labs, Goldens, or any of the other breeds listed near the top around here. When I went to BC last, I think I saw more Tollers there than I ever have any other time in my life.
I think Tollers are much more popular in Canada than in the US, because I have only ever seen one Toller in person, and it was reallllly little (they are about the same size as Aussies from the descriptions you were talking about in the other thread with the video of the "Toller Scream", and this one was maybe 20-25lbs because I even asked the lady if that was average and she said yes.... LOL). But if you ask anyone on the street if they like Tollers (or even Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers) they will look at you like you're crazy because they'd never heard of it. None of my friends and family know what a Toller is before I showed them pics.

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-10-2006, 05:41 PM
I think Tollers are much more popular in Canada than in the US, because I have only ever seen one Toller in person, and it was reallllly little (they are about the same size as Aussies from the descriptions you were talking about in the other thread with the video of the "Toller Scream", and this one was maybe 20-25lbs because I even asked the lady if that was average and she said yes.... LOL). But if you ask anyone on the street if they like Tollers (or even Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers) they will look at you like you're crazy because they'd never heard of it. None of my friends and family know what a Toller is before I showed them pics.

They're only popular in BC I think. People ask me what Tango is and then look at me like I have two heads or something as soon as I mention the NSDTR part...lol. Nobody around here has a clue what a Toller is unless they're involved in some sort of dog sport like agility or flyball as Tollers are somewhat popular in those, but even then, people often comment on the 'cute little Goldens' or 'odd coloured Border Collies'. To be honest, I actually kind of like the fact that nobody has ever heard of them..

*iluvskipper*
10-10-2006, 05:55 PM
yay goldies are #2!! :P

wolfsoul
10-10-2006, 08:19 PM
What about the Laekenois? :D
They aren't recognised by AKC yet -- kinda ridiculous, since all the varieties are the same breed and shouldn't be recognised seperatly anyways...Ah well.