PDA

View Full Version : Calgary AB - Cat License Update Oct 09/06

Catty1
10-09-2006, 09:19 AM
It's far from purr-fect, but seeing thousands of people get licences for their pet cats is a promising start, says the city's bylaw boss Bill Bruce.

About 3,000 licences have been ordered, although not mandatory until January.

"I knew people were accepting it, but didn't know it would be this good," Bruce said yesterday.

He said a few cats have already been reunited with their owners thanks to the licences.

A licence will cost $10 a year for a fixed cat, but are free until January.

catmandu
10-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Thats A Scary Thought Licensing The Found Cats.
But If Its The Law, Its The Law.
The Sad Thing Is That It Will Do Nothing To The Fools Who Let Thier Cats Run Free.
They Will Deny That Those Are Thier Cats.

Catty1
10-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Gary - what is behind this is to use the fees to help shelters and stuff.

Obviously, if someone has indoor cats, they won't license them - who would know? :)

Also - as the article says - some cats have been reunited with their owners because of this licensing.

People who are stupid and ignorant about their pets...well, this won't help much.

Though there are some people who will only do something if it is the Law.

Because there is a lower fee for spayed/neutered cats, hopefully that will decrease the number of unwanted kittens.

It's a start...we'll see how it goes from here.

moosmom
10-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Years ago when it was first brought up here in the U.S., I thought it was a dumb idea. But after being in rescue for over 10 years, I think it's the way to go. That and microchipping. Not only would it help reunite lost pets, but it will help so many 501(c)(3) rescue organizations and shelters, who carry the burden of caring for abandoned, abused pets that idiotic owners toss like yesterdays trash.

kimlovescats
10-09-2006, 01:34 PM
Licensing is all part of our rabies vaccination law. You get the rabies shot, a paper certificate (license) and the rabies I.D. tag. The vaccine is good for 3 years, but our state law requires they be updated yearly. My vet now just re-issues the license part for a reduced fee yearly. That way your pet doesn't have too many vaccines so close together. If everyone would actually put the tags on their pets' collars, then the theory of reuniting them when lost would work. Other than that, only a microchip will work.

Some of my cats will keep their collars (with tags) on, but others always find a way to get them off. I use the break-away collars though because it's not worth risking strangulation for them to wear a collar indoors!!!