PDA

View Full Version : Carrots for dogs?

Muddy4paws
10-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Are carrots ok to give dogs? my dogs had some the other day and they really enjoyed it but just wanted to double check incase its like onions or something!

I would either give them a whole one or cut one in half, would it be better if i washed them down before?

*LabLoverKEB*
10-08-2006, 02:24 PM
I always give my girls baby carrots, I've always heard they are good for their teeth. But I'm not really too sure on that one.

Kfamr
10-08-2006, 02:24 PM
Carrots are fine for dogs.

To have an nutritional value, they need to be pureed into a mush. Dogs cannot digest cell walls thefore they cannot get the nutrients out of the fruits and veggies.

I still give my three baby carrots as treats because they like to munch on them. :)

MajesticCollies
10-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Just to add, although they have thier nutritional value, they are high in STARCH.

Cookiebaker
10-08-2006, 03:55 PM
My two love their baby carrots -- whenever I make Mark's lunch (which isn't very often) they always come begging because they know that at the end there is a carrot handout when I am done. :)

Jessika
10-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Oh of course! I give mine baby carrots sometimes as treats! They love them :)

Muddy4paws
10-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Thanks everyone, Ive noticed everyone saying baby carrots the ones we buy are the big ones and i would cut it in half and give them half each is that ok?

I know this is going to sound so bad because I SHOULD know but is much starch bad? I dont puree them either I just chop them in half with the ends cut off and rinse them and feed them to the dogs

areias
10-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Not too sure on the starch, but carrots are great as a low-calorie treat. I often recommend stuff like that to people with overweight pets as an alternative to high calorie beef bones and such.

*future vet*
10-08-2006, 08:38 PM
Before we had Fuji, her owners said she loved to snack on carrots, I haven't tried them yet myself, though.

elizabethann
10-08-2006, 09:50 PM
My Niece feeds one of her pugs carrots as a treat. :)

Kater
10-08-2006, 10:40 PM
They are a good lo-cal treat. As whole, uncooked pieces they go through the GI pretty undigested (as others have said). So the dog enjoys a crunchy treat, but really does not get many calories out of it. The insoluble fiber (cellulose) prevents much starch absorption, so they are lo-cal for dogs. Now, the same is not true for say...rabbits....

Anyway, the vet I work with recommends them all the time for the pudgier canines. ;) She also recommends unbuttered, unsalted, air-popped popcorn. Both are fine in moderation.

Big carrots cut in half are fine as long as they are chewed adequately.

Karen
10-08-2006, 10:47 PM
Our first St. Bernard, Freckles, adored cooked carrots. If we had them with our dinner, she'd park herself at my right elbow and give me her saddest, droopiest eyes until I gave in.

Muddy4paws
10-09-2006, 09:51 AM
Our first St. Bernard, Freckles, adored cooked carrots. If we had them with our dinner, she'd park herself at my right elbow and give me her saddest, droopiest eyes until I gave in.

I would of handed over my plate :D lol

Thanks everyone!

BC_MoM
10-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Mickey will do ANYTHING for a carrot!! :D
Molly would too, but she can't chew them.

Muddy4paws
10-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Thanks everyone, I gave them a carrot today and they decided to have a fight over it :rolleyes: its was mostly noise and Emma the JRT started it as usual! she think shes missing out !