PDA

View Full Version : breed

bark_1
10-08-2006, 07:27 AM
Im looking for a breed to suit me, i want an active breed and one i can do agility with and also training. I dont really want a terrier, hound or a toy dog. Please help, if you want more questions answered i will be happy to help :)

Savage Destiny
10-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Exactly how active are you looking for? So active you need to take a couple hour hike every day on top of a vigorous play session, or are you looking for a dog that's satisfied with a walk and a romp in the yard? How much time are you willing to spend grooming? Have any small animals? How big or small do you want the dog to be?

bark_1
10-08-2006, 10:54 AM
I would like a dog that would be satisfied with a long walk and a romp in the garden. I can spend as long as the dog needs grooming, and i have a rabbit, i would prefer a dog that 30-45 Lbs and anything around 20 inches.

wolf_Q
10-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Have you checked your local shelters/rescue groups? There are tons of wonderful dogs just waiting for the right home! :)

My first thoughts were an aussie or a australian cattle dog (heeler), but I'm not sure if they would be *too* active for you. Where are you located? That would help in locating some dogs in need of homes near you!

bark_1
10-08-2006, 11:11 AM
i live in northamptonshire, which is the midlands, UK

wolf_Q
10-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Perhaps this website will help? It lists rescue organizations (you can look by breed) located in the UK. http://www.dogpages.org.uk/
They also have a forum (like this one) http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=12

Savage Destiny
10-08-2006, 03:11 PM
My first thought is American Pit Bull Terrier. Active but not too much, shorthaired, 35-50lbs. The only downside to a Pittie is the predjudice you'd have to deal with, and the bans in some areas.

Aussie Cattle Dogs are ACTIVE. They are the type which need loads and loads of exercise.

A Samoyed also sounds good for you, if you're definetly willing to put in the grooming time. They cna be awfully stubborn though. :)

angelbow20
10-08-2006, 07:09 PM
i would say golden retreivers i have 2 and they are very active and smart and great dogs...they are so freindly. my 3 yr old son can lay on top of my male golden and he never once growled or barked at him and the other is sooo active and loves to play fetch and loves balls and running.

Suki Wingy
10-08-2006, 09:27 PM
I'm thinking you want to look in the herding (pastoral) group and Sporting group. Just to name one, Bouvier des Flandres are very good dogs, a good deal of grooming is required though. Vizslas also come to mind.

Genny
10-10-2006, 05:27 PM
What about a collie? They are herding dogs, and are active, but can also be very sweet and calm.

*iluvskipper*
10-10-2006, 05:59 PM
well even tho goldens are usually a little bit bigger than what you're looking for, i think that a golden retriever would definately be one to think about :)