PDA

View Full Version : Why I'm not posting much atm

Kirsten
10-07-2006, 12:09 PM
I apologize for not being talkative these days, and I think I should at least explain why.

I can't go into details as this is a public forum and you never know who else may be reading... All I can say is that my uncertain situation at work and all the worrying about my existence made me depressive. I broke down a couple of days ago and I'm on sick leave now.

I'm also on antidepressants but they don't seem to help much. All they do is making me dizzy and lethargic, and I cannot even drive, or do anything else. I've even stopped photographing, or doing anything else creative.

I think I'll stop taking these meds, I don't see how they can improve my situation, all I need is a perspective!

Luna and Lily are fine, but I think in my current state I cannot give them the attention they deserve!

Sorry for venting, but I know that some of you have been in a similar situation before, so I hope you understand...

Kirsten

Bengalz
10-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Kirsten,

First of all, thank you for being so considerate in letting everyone know your feelings. It takes a courageous person to speak out when they're feeling down.

Although I hate hearing that your present circumstances are so stressful for you, it is more than understandable. I wish there was something I could do to help you out and relieve some of that anxiety. I'm certain, as well, that many others here would love to make this a better time for you.

Please try to find some peace in knowing that you are a very talented individual and capable of doing so much. Your sensitivity to others and your creativity are inherent characteristics that make you the special person that you are. When a dark moment hits, please try to remember that and give yourself the credit you deserve.

I sincerely hope that some quite, reflective time will allow you to feel better both physically and emotionally. Putting things into perspective sometimes requires quiet reflection.

My best wishes and many prayers for your well being are coming to you. Please take care and let us know how you're doing.

Hugs to you,

Betty

Karen
10-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Oh dear, Kristin, you'll be in our prayers. Talk to your doc about the antidepressants - I know sometimes people have to try a couple before they find the one that works for them, and there's an adjustment period.

We're sending prayers and hugs for you, and snuggles for the girls, I am sure they are worried about you as well!

Prairie Purrs
10-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Kirsten, of course you should talk to your doctor about this, but antidepressants do not take effect right away! You need to keep taking them for awhile before you'll notice any effect. And even if one type of antidepressant doesn't work, another may. So don't give up, and certainly don't stop taking the meds without medical advice.

There are many of us here at PT who struggle with depression. I know that you want to curl up in a ball and make the world go away, because that's what depression does to you, but please try to reach out to your friends here and elsewhere.

CatLuvrs
10-07-2006, 12:51 PM
{{Hugs!}} I know this is hard for you. I go through this also. I haven't taken my meds in a couple of weeks and it is starting to wear on me. If you ever need someone to talk to pm me

moosmom
10-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Kirsten,

I'm so sorry you're going through this. But PLEASE do NOT just stop your meds cold turkey. Withdrawal is a very serious problem. Tell your doctor, maybe he can prescribe something else that will help you.

As you know, I also had a breakdown (I call them meltdowns) and checked myself into the hospital. It was the best thing I ever did. I'm on new meds (was on Paxil for over 6 years) right now and doing okay today (one day at a time), and going to counseling.

We're all here for you honey. Take care of yourself and if you ever need to chat, PM me. We can talk.

Love and (((HUGS)))

Donna

Catty1
10-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Kirsten - HUGS!

Don't give up before the miracle happens!

CatLuvrs
10-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Kirsten,

I'm so sorry you're going through this. But PLEASE do NOT just stop your meds cold turkey. Withdrawal is a very serious problem. Tell your doctor, maybe he can prescribe something else that will help you.

As you know, I also had a breakdown (I call them meltdowns) and checked myself into the hospital. It was the best thing I ever did. I'm on new meds (was on Paxil for over 6 years) right now and doing okay today (one day at a time), and going to counseling.

We're all here for you honey. Take care of yourself and if you ever need to chat, PM me. We can talk.

Love and (((HUGS)))

Donna

I was on Paxil too and now I am on Effexor and they make me SOOOO tired!

Randi
10-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Kirsten, I'm sorry to hear you're feeling down. :( I'm in a similar situation, worrying about my job sitiuation/economy. We have to believe that things will change soon! ;) It sounds like you're stressed - no wonder, but I don't think it's a good idea to take anti depressants because of this, but perhaps a sleeping pill now and again. It's so important to get a good nights sleep! Then, things look brighter the next day. :)

Hugs and good wishes that you feel better soon. PM me if you want to talk! :)

BC_MoM
10-07-2006, 01:15 PM
I'm so sorry Kirsten.. I hope things get better for you as soon as possible.

When my aunt was placed on anti-depressants, they actually made her feel MORE depressed (and she had the same side-effects as you).. I would definitely talk to your doctor about finding something else.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers!

Catty1
10-07-2006, 01:16 PM
Kirsten - I know you are tired right now - meds can have those side effects, but mine wore off in a couple of weeks.

This might be an opportunity for you.

I don't know the type of flea markets or other such places - but this might be a chance to check out your artwork and being self-employed.

Posting some pictures at a shelter, with the prices and a percent donated to the shelter.

With your newsletter - you might know about other pet shows. See if there is a space for you to display a few works - and take commissions.

Just a thought - your system is telling you something - and people are more than happy to buy pet artwork, especially stuff that is BRILLIANT. And yours is!

Don't believe me? Think of the schlock you have seen at shows and in stores in the past!

HUGS!

And YES, check with your doctor before you stop any meds! Withdrawl is HELL. (ask me).

Remember - your doctor is the expert, but YOU are the boss. :)

jenluckenbach
10-07-2006, 01:34 PM
I am so sorry that you have worried yourself into depression. It is NOT a fun place to be. :(

Do be careful about withdrawl from antidepressants, and more importantly, find a DIFFERENT medication that DOES work. Believe us when we say, it is always "hit and miss" as to which ne will work for YOU.

Just remember that we are all here for you, and maybe we can just bring a little brightness to you while you are feeling down. So try to stay in touch. It is important not to give up all your life lines.

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

krazyaboutkatz
10-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Kirsten, I'm so sorry to hear this:( and I hope that you'll begin to feel better soon. Please talk to your doctor and take care. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. (((HUGS)))

orangemm
10-07-2006, 05:02 PM
Kirsten, I am so sorry to hear you aren't doing well. I am pretty uninformed about depression, so I won't offer advice, but do listen to those who have been there.

And, the advice about your photography is right on the money. If I saw beautiful work like yours, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.

All I can say is keep in touch with us here; we care about you and we will always listen and try to help.

((((hugs)))) to you!

mustlovedogs
10-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Kirsten-

Thank you for checking in for us- many people here care about you and like to know how you are doing. :)

I am so sorry that things are not working out very well for you right now- I hope that things get better very soon! (((HUGS))) :)

Please talk to your doctor about your anti-depressants that you are taking- he/she will be able to fix some of the problems related to that! :)

We will be thinking of you and your girls. Let's hope that things get much better!

phesina
10-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Oh Kirsten, I am so sorry.

I've been in that situation too. I had what I thought was the most wonderful job in the world.. and then the management changed and it turned into the job from hell. I became more and more distraught, then had a nervous breakdown, was hospitalized for a week, and was a complete wreck for much longer.

The cats and I are sending you all the love and support and good energies that we can. There are a whole lot of people (AND cats) here who know how wonderful you are and what a gifted artist and who are all pulling for you and sending you love and support.

And you know that Luna and Lily are doing their best to care for you!

Keep talking with your doctor about your dissatisfactions with the medications and your frustrations and feelings in general. As others have said, it takes a while for a medication to kick in, and if one isn't effective, another can be.

We send you love and hugs and purrs and good wishes,

Pat, Peony, Sydney, Priscilla, Poppy, and Elmer

catmandu
10-07-2006, 07:18 PM
I had a job that I hated too, and know what you are going through.
If it was not for My Cats,I would never have made it.
We are praying for you Kirsten, that you can get help, and with Lily and Luna helping realize how loved you are.
Its a shame that toxic co workers can bring you down so much.
We are praying for You Kirsten.

CelticDreamer
10-07-2006, 07:44 PM
Kirsten,
Big Huggglessssssssssssssss to ya I wish you better & brighter tomorrows... You have alot of caring people in here sending hugs and happy thoughts your way... So chin up and feel better don't give up on the meds just yet it takes at least 30 days for them to get into your system good ... However if the side effects continue and effect your daily life then id perhaps mention this to your Dr and see if he/ she has something else perhaps you might try..... Every medication effects people in different ways not that I need to tell you that I'm sure you know what perhaps works best for you...

I don't know what kind of medication your on but this one here is a good one that you might mention to your Dr with very few side effects : http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-63990-Lexapro.aspx?drugid=63990&drugname=Lexapro

E-mail me if ever ya need anything [email protected] 2 ears no waiting anytime my friend.....

Hugglessss from my heart to yours....

~Celtic Dreamer~

Pembroke_Corgi
10-08-2006, 12:37 AM
I'm sorry...I hope that things turn around for you soon.

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-08-2006, 06:25 AM
Awww dear Kirsten, I am sorry you are going through this ..... . It was very couragious of you to come here and post about it!! It is the first big step to recovery :)
It is a good idea to talk to your doctor about your reaction on those pills. But I know from experience that antidepressants only start working properly after at least 2 to 3 weeks... . In my case I felt very nervous and anxious, but these syptoms faded away after a while, untill one day when I realised the sun was shining again!!
Take every day at one time, and let your body adjust itself to the medication.

Take care, dear Kirsten :) . Hugs to your nurses Lily and Luna :)

http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/smilies%20973%20Huge_hug.gif

kimlovescats
10-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Kirsten, please do not quit taking your medication!!! The withdrawal effects can be much worse than the depression itself, and dangerous!!!! Talk with your doctor and tell him/ her how you are feeling. You might need an increase in dosage or to try something different. It took many different meds and dose changes before I found the one that works for me!

Please stay in touch with us here, so we can help you through this!

Hugs,
Kim ;)

Kirsten
10-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice!

Well, I know I probably shouldn't have done it, but I didn't take my meds last night. I don't think there will be any withdrawal effects as I only took these meds for three days. I know that antidepressants can make you feel worse in the beginning, but these (Doxepin) made me so tired and dizzy and lethargic that I barely functioned. I couldn't think, I couldn't drive (and I'm depending on my car as I'm living alone), I couldn't read and I couldn't type... all I could do was lying on my bed pondering about the terrible situation (a new situation at work) I'm in.

I will talk to my doctor about this the next week, there has to be another solution. And actually I don't think this is a "real" depression, my feeling is it's some kind of burn out syndrome as a result of all the work and the worries, and the fear of existence.

Anyway, I felt a bit better today and even went photographing (and I did some more photo art tonight), and I need to be clear in my head because I need to get some legal information the next days. I don't know what's going to happen, but I least, I can try to be prepared (I'm sorry that I cannot go any further into details here, but the entire situation cannot be be explained with just a few words anyway).

Kirsten