PDA

View Full Version : There is a kitten trapped- UPDATE I have THEM *3*

jazzcat
10-06-2006, 09:57 AM
Oh my gosh! I heard a kitten crying this morning and I finally located it under my sunroom. I had to struggle to get the crawl space door open but then nothing came out so I got down on my knees and looked in and saw nothing. I left the door open so just in case it could get out and I came back in to rest (I just had surgery a week ago). As I sat here it began to cry again. After sitting out there and crawling around I have determined it is stuck down inside the concrete blocks that make up the support wall and I would have to crawl in several feet to get him. I called Richard and he has forbidden me to do it since I'm still suppose to be taking it easy from the surgery. He said he would come get it as soon as he can get away from work in a little while.

I called Rural/Metro - our fire, rescue, ambulance servirce that we are a member of and they told me they don't do cat rescues. Oh gosh I want to crawl under there myself but just getting that old door open that was stuck has already caused me some cramping and other problems. I hate this!

The worst part is I'm pretty sure I heard it crying yesterday afternoon when I got out of the shower but it quit and I figured it was just a bird because there were so many singing in the backyard.

I bet you anything that cat I thought was pregnant was and she had her kittens under there.

I want to get that baby out quick! Oh please hurry home Richard!

UPDATE a couple of post lower!

Craftlady
10-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Call your local county/city animal shelter person they should beable to get the ball rolling for help.

Lizzie
10-06-2006, 10:04 AM
Oh my goodness! What a distressing experience for both you and the kitten. It's going to be awful for you having to wait but you know you have to, no choice in that at all. I'd suggest putting a plank inside at an angle but you would hurt yourself more. Do you have any idea how the mother cat got into your crawl space? I'll keep dashing into this thread during my work day to see how thing progress. I feel sure that there will be a positive outcome but we'll all be on tenterhooks until we hear about the rescue.

jazzcat
10-06-2006, 10:14 AM
I've got him!!! His eyes are open so he's maybe about 2 weeks old!!! I'll update in a little bit once hubby get here!!!

Catty1
10-06-2006, 10:19 AM
Awwww! I wonder where his mom and sibs are???

I bet he is happy to be cuddled and safe! Is he eating at all?

Keep us posted!

Lizzie
10-06-2006, 10:40 AM
That's a relief and much quicker than I expected. Do you think there is a chance he got away from mom and crawled through a small hole by himself?

catlover4ever
10-06-2006, 10:51 AM
What a relief.....hope you are OK as well...especially after your surgery. Keep us posted.

Killearn Kitties
10-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Were you under that deck???

Looking forward to hearing more. Poor baby!

Freedom
10-06-2006, 11:20 AM
I have tears in my eyes reading this thread. I am so glad you are both out of there!

krazyaboutkatz
10-06-2006, 11:48 AM
I'm so glad to hear that you were able to rescue the kitten.:) I wonder how he/she got under there and if there are any more kittens some where. Please continue to keep us updated.

jazzcat
10-06-2006, 01:02 PM
newest update. I have the black and white tuxie and have now fed him KMR. He wasn't under the house but stuck in some evergreen juniper against the house so I as able to get him with a little digging. He is currently resting on my chest as I type this.

Now for the bigger news. Richard got home and decided to go look at the juniper and found two more solid gray kittens who don't want to be rescued and are hissing and spitting. He took pictures of them but I haven't gotten them uploaded yet.

What should we do? The mom is the feral acting cat I've been feeding for a few weeks and she has them under this big mound of juniper where for the moment they are safe. I called my vet and they recommend I put the tuxie back, call animal control and let them trap and catch momma and gather the babies so they can be together.

I don't know what to do. I'm already in love with this little troublemaker but he needs to be with his mom. Plus I'm absolutely exhausted from all this so I know I'm not up to bottle feeding three little ones right now.

Help!

aki
10-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Awwww bless you for rescuing him! Hopefully you can get meowmie cat and the sibs and they can all be together. :)

Lizzie
10-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Complicating this issue is the fact that you are not at this time up to the physical labor of rescue etc. and (I don't think) have room to isolate the mother cat with her kittens (she would take care of the feeding, etc.). It would be best for this group if they could all be in someone's home. I'd want to grab the kittens while they were still grabbable, then trap the mother and keep the whole group in isolation while they were being socialized. Has kitten season slowed down at all so that some foster homes are available? I'd assume calling animal control is to put them at risk of an early death if the shelter is overloaded - but perhaps the organization in your area has more options. Do any PT'ers live near enough to you to help?

I can imagine how much you are enjoying cuddling that tiny baby. We'd all find it next to impossible to put him back.

jazzcat
10-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Lizzie - you are right, I really don't have any place to house the mother and kittens. I don't know what to do. I've called the rescue where I adopted Jazz and Scout and left a message asking for their advice. Richard is pushing me to make decision if I want to put the tuxie back or if I want him to gather the other two and keep the three kittens in the house at least tonight.

I've never been able to get the mom to trust me. She runs off when she sees me in the window watching her eat and to make matters even worse, this weekend we saw a coyote in the woods on the other side of our chain link fence. I've been so worried about her since.

Catty1
10-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Ask your rescue group if putting the kitten(s) in a live trap might encourage the momcat to go in there?

Amazing how tame the tuxie is when his sibs are spitting and hissing! :D

The little guy needs to be fed from his mom...but ask your vet if he is likely to be in harm's way if he goes back with your scent on him.

Maybe it will help her get used to you. Put a towel with your scent near the juniper.

I hope you get this fur family together!

Lizzie
10-06-2006, 01:57 PM
My geography is abysmally bad, so don't laugh! Is Kim of Kimlovescats too far away to help you? I know she's not really close to you but do you think she would be willing to take care of the kittens if you scooped them all up and took them to her on the weekend? The chances of them becoming coyote fodder as they start to move away from mom on their own is going to get worse and worse. Mother Nature's way, of course, but not something you want to have happen in your own garden to kittens you've already seen.

jenluckenbach
10-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Oh Lori, how do you get yourself into these messes????? ;) (kidding)

Ideally, trapping mom by using the babies as bait would be the way to go....but how long will it take animal control to get out there to do it?

If you put baby back, mom should care for it regardless of scent, but only if mom has not already been scared off. :(

I could not even tell you what I would do, because I DON'T KNOW. :( Keep trying to get ahold of someone in a rescue group.

jazzcat
10-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Here's the latest, after talking to Kimlovescats we've decided to catch all the kittens and go from there. So... Richard and I just spent a long time trying to catch what we now think is just one gray kitten but he eluded us. We are giving him a break (and us) and will try again in a little bit. I never saw him but Richard said he darted towards our deck. I hope we don't scare him too far away.

The little tuxie is sleeping away in a pet carrier after a meal of KMR and peeing all down my shoulder. I'm so new at this but Kim has given me good advice.

I talked to animal control and they offered to put me on the trap waiting list which takes weeks so not much help there.

Here is a picture that Richard got earlier of the gray kitten. I still don't have one of the tuxie. This is the hiss and spitter.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/1-2006/P1011792.jpg

Donnaj4962
10-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Oh my..... would you just look at that cute widdle nose???? I am so sorry that you weren't able to catch this little one, but I bet you don't give up!

I wish I had some advice, but none here. :rolleyes: I just wish you the best and will be sending prayers from Indiana that you are able to help this whole little family of kits! PLEASE, keep us posted!

Catty1
10-06-2006, 03:15 PM
Oh my! I know he is scared...but there is something humourous about a cute little critter spitting like he can take your head off.

I HOPE you can get the last kitten. Are you then going to use them in the live trap to catch the mom?

HUGS - good luck! Mom might even calm down if she is with her babies.

Anything's better than the coyote, God forbid!

Lizzie
10-06-2006, 03:18 PM
I'm so very glad you are going forward with this and that Kim is helping you. Do you know anyone with a fishing net? Rescuers use these often to grab feral kittens, and even unaware feral cats. I'm sure you won't have to be reminded to wear gloves as you get them out of the net.

It's interesting that the tuxedo took to human home care so easily. I remember that of my first feral litter, the white kitten (Simka) simply walked into my home, even let me hold her and clean her ears, but the others were totally wild.

catmandu
10-06-2006, 03:59 PM
We are praying that you can rescue that Mom and her babies.
That Little Gray Kitten certainly has a ferocious face for such a young Kitten, doesnt he.
Good Luck!!

jazzcat
10-06-2006, 04:10 PM
GOT THEM! A TOTAL OF 3!

It was hard and now Richard looks like a mountain lion attacked him from the scrapes and scratches from the juniper but we have them all in side now. Two black and white tuxies and a little solid gray full of spit and vinegar.

Momma cat hasn't been seen all day but the one I'm sure is daddy, Big Gray Tom as I call him, has been watching us from a short distance.

Now the fun of bottle feeding and all that jazz begins until I figure out what to do.

They all look very healthy from what I can tell so far.

moosmom
10-06-2006, 04:11 PM
Lori,

Call around to the vets in your area. They may have a trap you can use. What a precious little thing he is. I'm glad you're able to talk to Kimlovecats about them. It's always great to have someone as experienced as she is.

*ahem* aren't you supposed to be RESTING young lady??? ;) Keep us posted on the others.

Good luck. Now GO LAY DOWN!!! and that's an order :D

((((HUGS))))

Freedom
10-06-2006, 04:18 PM
There was a National Geographic program about the wild cats in Rome. If the mom is away from them too long, she forgets about them and her milk dries up. Unfortunately, I don't recall HOW long is too long. the vet could probably tell you.

I am SO happy you got the babies, best of luck caring for them. I pray you get the mom to tend to them; and the pop, too!

I lost my beloved Dazzle to a coyote May 22, 2005. Believe me, you are doing these kittens a BIG service!!!

I WISH I was closer; I would take them all! :D

Catty1
10-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Maybe a live trap with a Feliway scented rag in it...that's supposed to be the 'friendly' face pheromone, right?

Or some really stinky tuna! ;)

I hope you can get Mom! Maybe you could borrow a large dog cage for her and the babies, cover the floor with towels, and COVER the cage so she feels protected.

God bless your hubby! I hope he feels better soon...are you rubbing some soothing lotion into his owies? :)

jenluckenbach
10-06-2006, 04:23 PM
What an adventure. I am sure glad that you got them. Now for the "fun". :D

A little advice..................Don't get too attached to them! :rolleyes: (LOL)

Killearn Kitties
10-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Well done on getting all those babies! I know how hissy spitty those teeny grey babies can be! :eek:

You must let us know hoe things go. It would be great if you were able to borrow a trap and help Mum and Dad.

Poor Richard! I hope his scrapes are healing up.

RedHedd
10-06-2006, 05:12 PM
What an adventure. I am sure glad that you got them. Now for the "fun". :D

A little advice..................Don't get too attached to them! :rolleyes: (LOL)
Ditto and <snicker> They sound irresistible! Now go rest!

catmandu
10-06-2006, 05:31 PM
My Friend Helen Told Me That If They Are Away For Two Days Then They Forget About The Kittens.
Maybe Something Has Happened To The Mother, And Its A Good Thing You Took Them In.
Isnt It Truly Amazing How Ferocious Those Little Ones Can Be.

K & L
10-06-2006, 06:20 PM
Gosh I'm just now reading this. What excellent work you've done and made a wise decision! Do you know how to set the trap up and use the kittens as bait? If not, let me know and I'll send you instructions. I applaud you and your husband for doing this.

AbbyMom
10-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Well done! Thank you for opening your heart and home to the little dears.
Any more pictures?
:)

kimlovescats
10-06-2006, 07:26 PM
YAY Lori and Richard!!!! Great job!!!! :D Now I want you to kiss that little hissy baby right on the nose for me!!! :eek: :D

Call me if you need ANY help!!! Teach Daddy Richard how to feed them too! He might as well help you get through the weekend at least! I'm here if you need me!

Can't wait for hissy kitty pics!!! ;)

Hugs,
Kim

rg_girlca
10-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Oh Lori, bless you and Richard for taking care of these wee ones. I pray that mama hasn't ran into touble with the coyote.

I hope you didn't risk your recovery by getting that 1st baby.

Please keep us posted on how you and the babies are doing.

Thank you Kim, for helping them out with this. :)

kt_luvs_kitties
10-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Thank you for helping these babies Lori. If it werent for you and hubby, they probably would not have had such a good chance at life. They sound precious :)

And I remember you said something to the effect of "I have kitten fever". Now you have 3 too look after! lol I am just sorry you dont feel better after your surgery. I wish if it had to happen, you could be recovered first. Please rest and take care of yourself as well. *HUGS* Katie and kitties

krazyaboutkatz
10-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Lori, I'm so glad that you and Richard were able to catch all 3 kittens.:) Now hopefully you'll also be able to catch the mother and father as well. I hope that you'll be able to rest now and as mentioned before I think that teaching Richard how to bottle feed the kittens is a great idea.:) I hope that everything goes well. Good luck and please continue to keep us updated. :)

ChrisH
10-07-2006, 07:30 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Smilies/clapping.gif and bless you and hubby both. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Smilies/Hugs2.gif

Good luck.

orangemm
10-07-2006, 08:07 AM
Yes, bless you for saving these little babies.

jazzcat
10-07-2006, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the support everyone.

So far the rascals are doing well. The first one I found is the most outgoing. He didn't seem feral at all but these other two are bonded very closely and are still timid but are coming around. The little gray one seems to be the biggest and is already becoming vocal and curious. The other little tuxie seems to be the runt and didn't want to eat at first but Daddy Richard finally got him eating from the syringe and now this morning he decided the bottle was a good thing.

Their temporary names are Trouble for the first tuxie I found (but I also call him Mouth or Lungs because he is LOUD), Pops for the gray one because he is the hissy one that kept popping at Richard when he spit (he has stopped that now) and Silent Bob for the runt but I have a feeling he may be a she. Of course I have no idea of their sex yet.

As for the mom and dad, we finally saw the mom late last night and she looks okay. I'm on the list for a trap but was told it may take several weeks. None of the rescues have returned my calls so I have no trap. The dad is currently sunning himself on my back deck. He belongs to a neighbor and has been around here for a year or two. I don't know which neighbor for sure but it one a few houses down and he is well feed and healthy, just unaltered. :mad: We are guessing the mom either belongs to someone who has kicked her out since she was pregnant or maybe was abdondoned by her family when they moved. I will keep feeding her and trying to win her trust but that is hard to do when she bolts everytime she sees me. I just don't see getting her and the babies together and I'm sad and sorry about that. Have I done the right thing?

I'll try to posts some pics of the little rascals later. Time to go buy more KMR now.

Catty1
10-07-2006, 09:41 AM
I wonder if there is a way to rig up a large dog kennel with the kittens in it. (Got friends with dogs?) Maybe use some chicken wire or something to keep them from escaping, while keeping the main door open for mom. Put tuna in too.

This means the door won't shut automatically - so you will have to watch at the time when you think the mom will be around. Maybe put it near the juniper bush?

Sometimes pet or agricultural stores - even wildlife centres or zoos - might have a live trap they can lend. Even Pest Control places.

That's a lot of phoning, but it's all I can think of.

Good luck. The babes sound adorable!

kimlovescats
10-07-2006, 12:17 PM
First of all, YES, you have done the right thing. If you hadn't gotten the babies inside then the coyote might have gotten them, and you might never have been able to get them tamed!!!! If that happened, then there would be mom plus 3 kittens running around unaltered! :eek: As long as they are eating the KMR, then they will do just fine! Mom might surprise you and become more trusting in time. Just keep putting food out for her and talking softly to her when you have seen her around. Kitties hide, but they are always nosy to keep watching!!! Some time when you have just seen her ... stay outside and talk to her, even though you can't see her. Let her see you place the food bowl out, maybe even move it a bit closer to the direction she ran to, so she knows you intended it for her.

Now..... give those little tiny (LUCKY) babies some kisses for me!!! I love the names!!! Pat Daddy Richard on the back for his help as well! You know how I love those Cat-Loving Men!!! :D

Again, if you need ANYTHING, just give me a call again!

Hugs,
Kim

lisalee
10-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Oh bless you Lori for helping these little babies, you certainly did the right thing. That little gray baby is soooo precious! I'm in love with him. :) I hope everything works out with all of them and momma too!

Vermontcat
10-07-2006, 02:24 PM
That's great that you rescued the three little kittens.
I wish you luck in getting the momma cat too.
I hope you are recovering well from your surgery too.
I would love to see photos of the little tuxies when you have a chance. :)

krazyaboutkatz
10-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Lori, I'm glad to hear that things are going well with the kittens.:) I also think that you did the right thing. Take care and please continue to keep us updated about them. I'm also looking forward to pictures.:)

How are your other furkids reacting to the kittens? I'm sure that you have them secluded in another room but I bet they sense that something is there.:)

jazzcat
10-07-2006, 03:52 PM
I guess I know we did the right thing but we saw the momma out the calling and looking for them and it broke my heart. Of course as soon as she saw us in the window she ran under the deck but that is something, she usually runs out of the yard. She's been eating the food we put out.

KAK - My guys are acting normal as long as they don't see them but when they could see them through the french doors in the sunroon with us today they got a little riled. R&R are the worst. They both get hissy and spend all their time blowing at anything that moves, including us. They seem to get it over as soon as we put the kittens back in the office and out of site. Suprisingly Ripley is being rather laid back about it all.

Here are pictures!
This is the first one I found, the one with some lungs. Trouble aka Mouth
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/1-2006/Trouble.jpg

This is the gray one and the largest. He looks really blue in some lighting. Pops
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/1-2006/pops.jpg

Finally the smaller and quiter one, Silent Bob or SB.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/1-2006/sb.jpg
He has less white on his front paws.

Pops and SB together.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/1-2006/popssb.jpg

I'm guessing they are 2-3 weeks old. Do you think I'm off? They are fairly coordinated on their feet and Trouble is very playful. He even plaid with some jingle balls today. They are amazing at climbing already too.

krazyaboutkatz
10-07-2006, 04:03 PM
I couldn't tell you how old they are except that they're very young. They sure are adorable and very healthy looking.:) The grey one does look like a blue grey. My Storm is also considered a blue cat.

orangemm
10-07-2006, 04:42 PM
OMG, they are so sweet! I'd be in 'kitten love', too!!

They are some lucky little guys.

kimlovescats
10-07-2006, 04:50 PM
Lori, they are older than 2 weeks for sure. I am guessing closer to 4 to 5 weeks. Their ears are completely up and they look older in the face. It's hard to tell in pictures, but if they are climbing around then I think so! They will probably learn to use the potty box soon too, so I would go ahead and introduce them to one! Feel in their mouths for teeth .... they might even be able to start nibbling something wet.

They are ADORABLE! :D

Kim

Freedom
10-07-2006, 04:59 PM
I am SO happy for the 3 little ones, and so glad that you are caring for them. Since they can't say it, I will: THANK YOU! :)

Since the mom is so wary of you - of humans, not just you - getting her used to things "may" help the process. If she is a true feral, then being in an enclosed area will be scary initially. Is there an open porch or area with a roof or covering where you could put a litter box? Maybe with something scented from her kits in it? Do you have a cat carrier you can leave out there with a food dish in it, so she gets used to walking inside?

Maybe a local pet store, hearing this story, would volunteer a trap? Or even a large dog kennel? Keep the kittens in there for a bit with an old towel, to set their scent and then put it outside for her to investigate?

I am grasping at straws here. I got frustrated reading that none of the rescue groups has been able to get in touch with you. They would have some suggestions. Continued GOOD LUCK!!

jenluckenbach
10-07-2006, 05:43 PM
They are adorable!!!!!!!!!

jazzcat
10-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Kim, they have teeth, oh do they have teeth. Trouble is biting the heck out of me already. How old would that have to make them if they have teeth?

We already showed them a little litter box but for now they are just playing. Trouble hopped out and then peed in the floor a few feet away.

I have a question - I know Trouble is peeing without me having to stimulate him but I have yet to witness the other to going and they seem like they might be struggling to go. I keep using the warm washcloth and they like it but nothing happens. The towels they are sleeping on were soaked earlier today but it's been a while. The towel I put in with them at 3 pm was still dry at 8 pm. Of course I'm letting them run around the office for play and they might be going under the desk where I can't see. I've checked but not well. Any suggestions?

I'm also afraid I'm overfeeding them. Is that possible? They keep eating and won't stop on their own. The KMR tells how much by weight but I don't know their weight and trying to feed three it's hard to tell who is getting how much.

One more question. How do you tell sex? I looked at a diagram online and then we looked at them. The two tuxies look very similar and the gray looks a little different but I can't tell for sure.

Can you tell I've never been around itty bitties before? :D

Catty1
10-07-2006, 08:30 PM
Jazzcat - ok, here is a nutty idea...call pet stores or neighbours with dogs - even the rescues again, maybe they have dog cages. Put the kittens in a SMALLER cage (not too small) that will fit inside the dog cage.

Then mama cat can see them and smell them. Again, you'll have to be watching.

It would break my heart too, hearing her cry for them...that's why I think letting her see them would get her into a cage.

The net mentioned earlier might work, but would really freak her out.

Poor mama! I hope you can get her soon - work on the dog cage thing...

Maybe, as Freedom said, something with the kittens' scent on it would work just as well.

HUGS!

catmandu
10-07-2006, 08:31 PM
They are so sweet, and Thanks To You Jazz cat, they have a new lease on life.
You have Three Gold Stars by your name in Pet Heaven.

jazzcat
10-07-2006, 09:09 PM
We may try our luck with a large pet crate and kitten scented towels tomorrow. We opened the windows in the sunroom today while we had the kittens in there so she could hear them while she was hiding under the deck just outside. We haven't seen her since that one time this morning but Big Gray the dad was out there and ate some food, although he doesn't need it.

Richard is concerned about what all we may catch in a live trap (of course not using the kittens but food). We have raccoons that visit nightly, skunks, opossums, rabbits, squirrels and even a few years back a little fox that my little dog chased and bit. Oh yes, coyotes too but I know they are too large. Anyway, point is the raccoons and other critters act more tame than this little momma and we may catch all kinds of things. I sure don't want a skunk! Maybe the pet carrier during the day while we watch will work.

Catty1
10-07-2006, 09:17 PM
During the day when you can watch is best...and put it near momma's hiding place. I hope you can get her...she may be more ok when with her babies.

Fingers crossed!

kimlovescats
10-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Lori, kitten's teeth start to show at about 4 weeks and they are still wobbly walking then. I really think these kittens are at least 5 weeks old. You will have to keep them in a small confined area with a shallow litter pan. Pick them up after they eat and put them in it, even take their front paws and teach them how to dig in the litter! They should be able to eat wet food now as well. Try giving them some canned food, you may have to force a bit in their mouths, but they will soon take to it. If at all possible, try to get some of their pee or poop and put it in their litterbox. If you let them run in a large area, it will be too easy for them to potty anywhere they want! You want them to be confined and forced to go in a litterpan!!! This age is also crucial for them to develop a bond with humans ... handle them as much as you can!

I will try to attach a couple of pics to help you with sexing a kitten ... these are pics I took and posted on PT a long time ago! The first is a boy .... much more distance between parts .... the second is a girl .... two "holes" close together! ;)

Kim

jazzcat
10-08-2006, 12:34 AM
We have pee and solid poop in the litterbox!!! YIPPEE! No pictures though, but I wanted too.

While watching them closely I realized they (Pops and Trouble) were looking for a potty spot so I grabbed them and put them in the litter box. First Trouble took right to it and peed and covered it and then later Pops did the same. Unfortunately SB didn't get the drift and peed on a towel. A little later Pops looked odd so I put him in and out came a nice solid poop and then Trouble sniffed the air, climbed in and out came another solid poop. YAY! Still no poop from SB but he didn't feed to much yesterday. He is definetely catching up with eating now though.

We plan to get the cage from R&R put up tomorrow and move them in with a litterbox.

Kim, thanks for the age evaluation. Boy am I clueless! They are a little wobbley still but tonight they really began playing and wrestling and even running a little. I'd say from what you've said and what I've read online they are definitely around 4 weeks. We will go get kitten food and start moving them over to solid. I've been reading on how to do it.
Thanks for the pictures too. That helps a lot. I don't see anything that looks like your little boy pic at all. At first guess maybe I have three little girls, hmm.

Thanks Kim! Nothing like my very own personal kitten expert!!!

kimlovescats
10-08-2006, 10:44 AM
I don't see anything that looks like your little boy pic at all. At first guess maybe I have three little girls, hmm.

Thanks Kim! Nothing like my very own personal kitten expert!!!

Yea, I was afraid of that picture too ..... many little boys aren't that "obvious" for quite a while!!! ;) The main thing is the DISTANCE between parts. :D

You are more than welcome, I'm glad I could be of a little help! You're lucky that they are so far along, much easier to deal with at this age!!!

Kim :)

rg_girlca
10-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Oh gosh Lori, they are so darn adorable. Bless you and your hubby for taking these precious babies in and keeping them safe.

Good luck with mama and I hope you are feeling better.

catcrazylady
10-08-2006, 08:43 PM
GREAT JOB ON THE RESCUE LORI!!!!! You did the right thing! If you had not gotten them now then chances of catching them later would be darn near impossible. At this stage you can tame them and hopefully find them homes where they will be loved. If you had left them with mom they would have been feral and chances are they wouldn't have survived very long at all. Not to mention they would have eventually made you lots more babies! :eek: I know its sad to take them away from momma and that is heart breaking. Hopefully you can get them all together again.
The small cage in a larger cage is a good idea. At least if you get her then you can get her spayed and put her back out once the kittens are weaned.

I agree with Kim that those babies are at least four to five weks old. You need to offer them mush because they are going to require more than just KMR at this point. Mash some canned food and mix it with some KMR and see if they will eat. I have a feeling they will! I would still supplement with bottles several times a day but I would get them eating soon.

They are absolutely ADORABLE! It looks like Tennessee is having the same run as Kentucky....black, black/wht, and gray have been in abundance this year!