PDA

View Full Version : Out of curiousity - who knows sign language?

CountryWolf07
10-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Who here knows ASL Sign Language? I am curious, because most students here at the OSU knows it, due to a large % of deaf/hard of hearing people that attend to a community college nearby. :)

I know sign, because I am hearing impaired. Been raised with it, I love to sign when I have the opportunity to.

Tralee
10-05-2006, 05:19 PM
I'm currently taking an ASL class at my school.

Karen
10-05-2006, 05:23 PM
gina's ark, inc., is not only proficient in ASL, she has taught classes in it, too! Alas, I can finger spell really slowly (and often blank on what g and h are), and know a very few other signs.

Freckles
10-05-2006, 05:40 PM
I was printing supervisor of a small inplant shop for over twenty years. During that time I had three deaf employees who were press operators. Early in that period I taught one man, who was an experience printer, how to run a complicated automated offset press. At that time I knew finger spelling only, so it was slow going. Later on we developed our own signs for certain press functions plus I became more efficient in ASL.
Only one of the three was a lip reader.

kuhio98
10-05-2006, 05:50 PM
I am slowly learning from a deaf co-worker. I can finger spell slowly. Larry gives us a 15-minute session at our morning meeting. Most of it is work-related words, but we are slowly learning. Thanks goodness he has patience with us. He was born deaf. He does not read lips. We can understand him when he speaks very well. I know it must be frustrating for him because we are so slow. Thank goodness for e-mail and instant messenger!

Pam
10-05-2006, 06:04 PM
My mother does. She had a deaf sister and learned many years ago. I never learned because by the time I was born we were living quite far away and eventually that sister died. It's funny because my mom is in her 90's now and has forgotten many things, but if you ask her to sign she still can. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
10-05-2006, 07:51 PM
I know a very little. My sister knows quite a bit, she took a few years of it in school. My sister-in-law is currently in college studying to be an ASL interpreter.

Vette
10-05-2006, 11:06 PM
I know how to sign letters... but thats all

mina'smomma
10-06-2006, 07:28 AM
I can finger spell and I know a few things in actual sign

BC_MoM
10-06-2006, 10:34 AM
I can sign. I'm not perfect, though. In grade 4 we did an entire unit on it (not sure what class) and studied Helen Keller and the whole surrounding of it.

ChrisH
10-07-2006, 06:39 AM
I don't, but funnily enough the guy who came to my town this week made me think about it.
Movie star's sign language appeal (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/5410076.stm)

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-07-2006, 07:03 AM
I used to know a few signs when I was 20. My uncles was headmaster at a school for "deaf and blind" and every vacation, I was with a group of these kids at the sea! It was great :)

sandragonfly
10-09-2006, 08:59 AM
quoted by kblaix
My sister-in-law is currently in college studying to be an ASL interpreter.
ooh cool, good! we need so many more ASL interpreters, especially in small towns. do you know what level is she in now? 1, 2, 3 or 4?

pam, just like speaking english - I think language is only thing we don't forget! :) although ASL has this word, language in it, many people think it's not a language, even some deaf people didn't know it IS a language. we do 'glibberish' in sign too, lol. once I fingerspelt, COG when we were talking about how cats and dogs do get along! :p

I wasn't born deaf but ASL is my second/primary language and english, third. SEE (sign exact english) was my first.

rachel, curious - as I see, you're not fully deaf? you seem don't mind being termed hearing impaired, what is it like to you? how much can you hear?