PDA

View Full Version : There was a fire....(pictures on pg 3)

slleipnir
10-05-2006, 08:21 AM
My dad got a call this morning..."your cottage is on fire"

I thought he was joking. I decided to go with him to check it out. I had in mind a small fire, easily undercontrol.

We get there and all I can see is smoke. My heart just sake when I saw my precious cottage in flames....the whole front of it is burnt to nothing...by the time we left the whole inside was gone. The fire dept are still working on it, but dad needed to make some calls. The odd thing is we had everything off...the furnace, everything. We hadn;t stayed there in over a month. PLUS it rained all night...so I don't see how it happened!

The important thing is no one was inside....but I'm so terribly upset right now. I can't stop crying. I know you're probably thinking it's just a cottage, not your house...but it's more than that for me. I have so so many memories there....I remember when I was small, I would go visit my granny there...she would sit out on her lawn chair...man, she loved that place so much. My dad pretty much spent every summer there...it was a family thing. The last while I would take the dogs out there and spend some time by myself with the dogs. It was so peaceful and relaxing out there. I even had friends over for a party a few months ago. We had so much fun....Me and my mom would spend dtime out there....I even take my dogs running all the time out there off leash because it's so quiet. It means so much to me. And now it's gone. We don't have a ton of money to build a new one...and even if we did, it was the old one that ment so much to me.

I never thought this could happen to me...When I was a kid I use to always worry my house would catch fire. It's always been one of my biggest fears.

I feel so sad right now...like a big piece of me is gone.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense...I'm not thinking good right now

dukedogsmom
10-05-2006, 08:33 AM
I'm so very sorry. I know how places can become special to us. There's a lake in Tennessee that I feel that way about. Maybe your dad can rebuild. I know it won't be the same at all but you still have the land and create new memories. But, don't forget the old. Maybe make a scrapbook with pics and you write some of your favorite memories in it.

slleipnir
10-05-2006, 08:34 AM
We really don't have that kind of money...

Pawsitive Thinking
10-05-2006, 08:39 AM
That is so sad :( but the fire can't take your memories away

Karen
10-05-2006, 08:45 AM
Perhaps there was some insurance that would help at least start the rebuilding fund? Maybe?

But she's right, you'll hold the memories in your heart forever, those cannot be taken away.

Pembroke_Corgi
10-05-2006, 09:36 AM
I'm so sorry... :( How sad.

anna_66
10-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Oh Audrey, I'm so sorry to hear this:( Can't even imagine how you feel right now, just wish I was there to give you a big (((HUG))).

Catty1
10-05-2006, 10:02 AM
I am so sorry to hear this.

But don't underestimate friends and neighbours once word gets around.

Pray to your grandma - I am sure she will consult with her New Employer to see about things!

HUGS

Dorothy39
10-05-2006, 10:12 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about " Such a Wonderful Vacation spot" burning down!!!! :(

{{HUGS}}} to You and your family!!!!

Logan
10-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Audrey, I'm so sorry. :(

Jadapit
10-05-2006, 10:31 AM
How sad. :( I'm so sorry.

Queen of Poop
10-05-2006, 10:31 AM
I can only imagine how devastated you are. I am so sorry. I know I'd feel just awful if our cottage burned. I pray that you find a way thru this and to rebuild.

Daisy and Delilah
10-05-2006, 10:42 AM
I'm so sorry Audrey. You have to be beside yourself with grief. My thoughts and prayers are with you :(

mugsy
10-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Fire is my biggest fear, so I sympathize on the fear.

My heart goes out to you and your family. I know a lot of physical memories have been lost, but, they are still there in your mind.

Insurance should take care of at least part of it...perhaps a little smaller, but, it should do something for you...

Good luck

lizbud
10-05-2006, 12:47 PM
I'm so sorry that your cabin is gone. I know how special it was for you. :(

slleipnir
10-05-2006, 05:09 PM
We don't think insurance will cover fire. It's going to cost 5-10k to clean up, but I think they will atleast cover that. I really don't care if we rebuild...it won't be the same. I know I still have the memories, but it still hurts that it's gone.

If anyone would ask "where is your favorite place? your place you can go relax and unwined and be safe" I would say my cottage. I took some pictures of it...I'll post after :( It really hurt looking at it now...my poor cottage..

flamepony12
10-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Oh my goodness Audrey :( :( :( I am SO sorry. I know how much that cottage meant to you.. aww.. (((((((((HUGS)))))))) <33

Catty1
10-05-2006, 08:13 PM
Hey...I just got in and saw your last post.

Everyone who did post here meant it.

This afternoon, I was playing music at the funeral of a wonderful young man who died suddenly of heart problems last week. 48 years old. Loved by the whole community. I was asked by his "anam cara" (soul friend) to contribute music.

You and your family are still alive. Be grateful for that - and for the people that did post here.

Quality over quantity.

hugs

slleipnir
10-05-2006, 08:22 PM
I'm sorry. It is such a huge deal to me and I'm still horribly upset. It was immature. I never said no one ment what they said. I know that and I appreciate all the comment.

Bengalz
10-05-2006, 08:50 PM
How sad for you and your family. I know your cottage is irreplacable however, I hope there comes a time when your family can rebuild and with that, continue a cherished tradition.

Feel better :)

Betty

Dorothy39
10-05-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm sorry. It is such a huge deal to me and I'm still horribly upset. It was immature. I never said no one ment what they said. I know that and I appreciate all the comment.
No, You are not immature!!! ;)

A few years ago, the house where I grew up, burned in a terrible fire, and, had to be razed in 2002!!!:( I haven't lived there since 1968~~~and I was overcome with grief when I heard about it. I drove to it, but couldn't bare to walk up and look into the windows!!! :eek:

so, I do know how you feel!!!! It is every bit like a death.

Still, I have so much to be thank-ful for, THOSE DEAR MEMORIES!!!!!! :o

Savor those Beautiful Memories, How fortunate you are to have them~~ you know!!!

cyber-sibes
10-05-2006, 09:15 PM
So sorry for your loss, a place like that will be forever special in your memories. If you don't rebuild, perhaps you and the dogs could still go camping on the site? Long walks, a nice (small) campfire, a night under the stars...or a tent...it would be different, but it could still be special. :) It sounds like such a lovely place.

ramanth
10-05-2006, 09:40 PM
I'm so sorry about the fire. I know what you mean about memories. I have great ones of my grandparents cottage up north. It's no longer ours and I miss it dearly.

Is it possible that lightning caused it?

*hugs*

todd
10-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Thats so sad sorry

wolf_Q
10-05-2006, 10:50 PM
I didn't see this until now........I'm so sorry to hear this, Audrey. :( I know how much you loved that cottage. It sounded like such a wonderful place to go and relax, let the dogs run, etc. I would be devastated too. I'm glad that nobody was hurt in the fire, but it still hurts that it is gone. {{hugs}}

lv4dogs
10-06-2006, 08:55 AM
How scary Audrey. I am so sorry. Thankgod no one was there or inured. yous are in my thoughts & prayers.

slleipnir
10-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Front page in our paper this morning

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/

The bottom right. Someone submitted the picture without asking...My dad really didn't want this in the paper

Pawsitive Thinking
10-06-2006, 09:01 AM
B***** press! They never realise that what they are reporting isn't "just a story" to some people. How are you today?

Catty1
10-06-2006, 09:07 AM
There might be a silver lining to this...just wait a few days. I hav a feeling... ;)

slleipnir
10-06-2006, 10:19 AM
I'm a lot better today, thanks for asking. I barely slept last night though. I kept picturing the cottage, and a bunch of scary thoughts and dreams all night. I had to sleep with my TV on cause I couldn't get the thoughts out of my head.

Catty: what do you mean by silverlining?

mina'smomma
10-06-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm so sorry you lost your cottage. While it wasn't your home I can understand why the lost has upset you. It was your last connection with your Grams. If you have home insurance it should cover the home and anything lost in it.

(((((Hugs)))))

Catty1
10-06-2006, 11:20 AM
To try and answer your question:

There is a saying: "Every could has a silver lining."

It WAS thoughtless, in a way, for someone to put that pic in the paper.

But - the "silver lining" might be that more people, such as your friends and neighbours, might see it and come forward to offer help.

Maybe not - but you never know.

You're on PEI, right?

GORGEOUS place...and good people.

I am guessing - but let me know if your dad is getting lots of phone calls or what.

I am glad you feel better...I hope you can get some sleep soon. HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS!

mustlovedogs
10-06-2006, 11:35 AM
I am so sorry that this had to happen to you and your family. :( But just think of all of the happy memories...it will get easier that way. May God be with you- and He will help ease the pain. :)

Logan
10-06-2006, 11:37 AM
The pictures shows up on the newspaper's website, Audrey, but when you click on it, the story is something different about breakfast in schools. Just the picture, itself, is horrifying. I'm so sorry. :(

slleipnir
10-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Logan: I can't find the story online, but basically all is said was there was a fire at a cottage, used to be owned by the late premier of PEI (my grandfather) current owners unavailable for interview (I wonder) They talked a little about my grandfather...I guess cause they couldn't get a hold of us...

And yes, my dad has been getting calls from friends of his...but he still didn't want it in the paper. The cottage was on private property anyway. Someone from the estate took the picture and sent it into the paper.

slleipnir
10-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Here are some pictures
http://www.tainted-sky.net/cottageburn/IMG_7965.jpg
http://www.tainted-sky.net/cottageburn/IMG_7968.jpg
http://www.tainted-sky.net/cottageburn/IMG_7971.jpg
http://www.tainted-sky.net/cottageburn/IMG_7973.jpg
That WAS a very nice BBQ
http://www.tainted-sky.net/cottageburn/IMG_7975.jpg
http://www.tainted-sky.net/cottageburn/IMG_7983.jpg
My dad, my dads friend, my bro and I spent a lot of time building that deck one year....
http://www.tainted-sky.net/cottageburn/IMG_7983.jpg
Good thing they didnt blow
http://www.tainted-sky.net/cottageburn/IMG_8016.jpg
http://www.tainted-sky.net/cottageburn/IMG_8021.jpg
The kitchen
http://www.tainted-sky.net/cottageburn/IMG_8033.jpg
Swing

slleipnir
10-06-2006, 12:32 PM
http://tainted-sky.net/cottage1.jpg
This was before...It wasn't exactly beautiful, but it was cozy. (plus it's like 100 years old or something)

slleipnir
10-06-2006, 12:38 PM
On the way out, the morning we heard about it...there were 2 dogs standing in the highway. They looked scared or confused or both. The car ahead of us stopped, they dogs didn't move, she she kept going. She actually HIT one of the dogs. Thankfully she wasn't going fast. It was really horrible timing and I couldn't help them. I got out and called them off the road atleast. The came over to me, a little confused still, but seemed like very friendly dogs. As I was leaving, I saw a lady calling them...I guess she was going to help them. I feel horrible I didn't help them, but we just couldn't.

Catty1
10-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Your poor cottage...it's beyond heartbreaking for you to look at that, I'm sure.

I wonder if any mementos survived, some little souvenirs you can collect.

I hope some of the calls your dad got were offers of help.

I wonder, since your grandad was a Premier of PEI, if the gov't might help?

It is designated a Heritage or Historic site or anything? Could it be?

Maybe check with your MLA.

HUGS

ps glad the dogs were ok. The lady who was calling them might have been their owner. You look after you right now.

buttercup132
10-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Thats so sad. Those pictures are just heart wrenching. I know how you'd feel espcially if it was your place to get away and to have grown up with going there. :(

slleipnir
10-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Your poor cottage...it's beyond heartbreaking for you to look at that, I'm sure.

I wonder if any mementos survived, some little souvenirs you can collect.

I hope some of the calls your dad got were offers of help.

I wonder, since your grandad was a Premier of PEI, if the gov't might help?

It is designated a Heritage or Historic site or anything? Could it be?

Maybe check with your MLA.

HUGS

ps glad the dogs were ok. The lady who was calling them might have been their owner. You look after you right now.

One thing did. A bell was made in honor of my grandfather...Not too sure for what reason, but it was kinda important. It is very charred, but it lived.

The calls weren't to offer help, just appologies.
I doubt the gov't will offer anything. He was premier back in the 50's or 60's...I never got to meet him, but I really wish I had. It's not a historic site :(

Thanks for all your comments. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to listen to my problems when I'm so down. Now I know why PT is the first place I think of when something goes wrong.

Vette
10-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Whoa... thats scary. glad everyone is okay though

BitsyNaceyDog
10-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Oh my, Audrey, I'm so sorry.

Ginger's Mom
10-06-2006, 08:38 PM
That is so sad, I am so sorry to hear that you have lost such a special place. It was a very cute cottage. It is nice that at least something survived, and that you have some wonderful memories there.

cloverfdx
10-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Ohhh Audrey how heartbreaking :(, my heart goes out to you and your family {{Hugs}}. You will all be in my thoughts.

BC_MoM
10-06-2006, 11:05 PM
That's heart wrenching!! I'm so sorry.. :( It must be heart breaking looking at it like this now..

wolf_Q
10-07-2006, 12:16 AM
Those pictures are very sad.....looking at it before...what a cute cottage, I'd love to have a place like that to go myself. I wish I knew what to say to cheer you up, I definitely understand how upset you are! :(

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-07-2006, 07:10 AM
OMG, that wasn't just "a cottage" ... :(

I am so sorry, Audrey....http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/smilies%20973%20Huge_hug.gif

GreyhoundGirl
10-07-2006, 07:16 AM
Oh, my. Those pics are heart-breaking. I'm so sorry. :( Glad everyone was OK though.

slleipnir
10-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Thanks all for all the wonderful comments...It cheered me up.