PDA

View Full Version : Who are the Amish?

popcornbird
10-04-2006, 01:10 PM
I've been following the Pennsylvania school shooting tragedy on the news. How horrific and heartbreaking. :( As my heart breaks for the families who have suffered in this, I also realize that I'm seeing people in pictures that I never knew existed today.

Are the Amish really rare, non-existant in California, or am I just naive about this group of people? Who exactly are these people? There's a chance that I've read about them in history during my school years, but I don't remember.

I was looking at pictures on CNN, and watching the videos about their way of life. I'm rather surprised. Are they a sect of Christians? The men keep beards and the women dress modestly. That is very interesting. Muslim men usually keep beards, and the women dress modestly, so that is something 'normal' to me, but everything else about them is SO different. Their clothing reminds me of the first settlers, centuries ago, and their lives...no electricity, no cars, no planes...WOW! It is strange to me, but somehow, I find myself fascinated with this. I don't know why. I just didn't know such people exist anymore in the US, and follow the old, simple way of life so strictly. Does anyone here know more about them? I've never heard much about the Amish, let alone met them, so its surprising to me. I almost want to go visit an Amish community to see what their lives are like :o...but wonder if 'different' people would be welcome there? Someone, enlighten me please. :D What are the Amish like? Would visiting them be like...going back a couple of centuries? :D

caseysmom
10-04-2006, 01:13 PM
PCB, I don't know much but as far as I know there are no amish here in California. They live a simpler way of life, no electricity, etc. But I don't really know someone else can tell us more.

IRescue452
10-04-2006, 01:19 PM
I do believe they exist in CA, but its not like they advertise, many Amish sects want to be left alone. In Wisconsin we have a lot of Amish communities. Some are friendlier toward outsiders, others would prefer to be left alone. Some actually have electricity and cars, but they use them modestly. I often get to see a few Amish people, as they frequent a farm supply store near my house.

Here is a good sight to start learning about them. http://www.religioustolerance.org/amish.htm

You can find a lot of information with web searchs, just use your best judgement as to which sites are truthful and have good information.

Karen
10-04-2006, 01:19 PM
There are a couple of current threads that have a lot of information about the Amish, Popcornbird. See http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=114015 and http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=113932

They are a Christian sect, to answer your basic questions, and of German descent originally. The term they are sometimes called "Pennsylvania Dutch" misleads people, they are not Dutch. They are more prevalent in the East and Midwest.

I_luv_rusty
10-04-2006, 01:22 PM
The only place I know of Amish people are, are in PA. If anyones driven through "The Amish Country" its interesting. We talked about this in SS the other day, they live a simple way of life they read the bible and just interpret it a different way. They have no eletricity, they use candle lights. They also live in small homes and use horses and carriges instead of cars. I don't know that much, but thats what I know. :p

Jadapit
10-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Here is another good site on them.http://www.800padutch.com/atafaq.shtml

I live in Colorado, we have a lot of Mennonites here. They are some what like the Amish people.

Edwina's Secretary
10-04-2006, 01:26 PM
PCB...I have always been fascinated by the Amish. As a little girl I had many books about them. They are not only in Pennsylvania but also in Indiana, Illinois, Iowa and Ohio. They shun modern ways. If you ever travel to areas where there are lots of Amish you will see beautiful farms....so neat and tidy with flowers at the end of every row. No electricity and old-fashioned clothes hanging on the line. They travel by buggy or bicycle. They often have stores selling homemade delicious foods and quilts. There are patterns of quilts that are distinctly Amish.

They are a Christian sect. They are a very peaceful group. They believe everything is God's will and therefore forgiveness is always given. Already they speak of forgiveness of this monster.

They speak a dialect that has German roots. Mennonites are an offshot of the Amish. They do not like photographs taken of their people.

There is sometimes friction between the Amish and what they call "the English" because of the differences. They are also having some genetic problems because of the limited number from which to choose a spouse.

Here's a webiste with more about them.... Amish (http://www.religioustolerance.org/amish.htm)

lv4dogs
10-04-2006, 02:03 PM
The only place I know of Amish people are, are in PA.

I know there is a LOT of them in upstate NY too, especially around Middlesex, Naples, Rushville, PennYann area. I see some at least every other day or so. And if memory serves me right Ohio and Iowa have them too.

JenBKR
10-04-2006, 02:04 PM
I have also always been fascinated by the Amish and their ways, since they are so different than the modern way of life. I think that some of them are Quakers, but not positive about that. There are lots in PA, but not so much on my side of the state (I live closer to Pittsburgh).

sasvermont
10-04-2006, 02:11 PM
The links to the Amish information is timely. Thank you. :)

Alysser
10-04-2006, 02:18 PM
I_luv_Rusty explained it pretty well. They don't use cars but instead have horses and buggies. They never use the computer, TV, cars, lights, modern tiolets, video games, anything. They are very relegious people and go to church every Sunday. Amish people don't wear modern clothes either, instead old time. They are into family life ALOT and live much like we used to in the 1800's.

sasvermont
10-04-2006, 02:33 PM
They due use other forms of power. Not electricity. Many of them have computers if they need them for work. They heat with wood and use candles for lights. Oh, and did you know that they do watch TV, they just cannot own one. They do ride in cars, just don't own one. They do what they need to do to earn livings and survive. If it means having someone pick them up for a drive to the worksite, then fine.

critter crazy
10-04-2006, 02:33 PM
There are many Amish around our area, I love to see their horse and buggies around. Sometimes I wish we still lived like them. My Saddebred Mare, used to be an Amish Cart horse. They live a very simple life, and they always help eachother out. They have huge families, and go out of their way for them.

Corinna
10-04-2006, 02:38 PM
Many of them are moving here to Montana as the hutterites (simular) can drive cars and in some Amish colonies they csn ride just not drive . So they have a co-op type arrange ment. It also alows them to inter marry to get some fresh blood in the gene pool.

wolflady
10-04-2006, 02:38 PM
Everyone has already done a good job explaining about the Amish, so I thought I'd add an anecdote. There is a town in Indiana called Nappanee that is essentially an Amish Town.
My parents and I were in an old car club (Model 'A' club - cars from the late 1920's early 1930's) that would go on tours as a group, and one of those tours took us to Nappanee for some of the best food I ever had! It was at a large Amish farmstead, where an Amish family fixed us food. Totally neat experience and everyone was so nice. It was cool to eat by only the light of candles and be in a place with no modern facilities such as electricity and running water.

I'm not sure if this same family does this today, but I do know there is a resort in Nappanee called 'Amish Acres' that has an inn on the grounds of a historic farm.

sirrahbed
10-04-2006, 02:43 PM
They have always fascinated me as well. Many mainline Christians will likely view them as a cult or at least as an extremely fundamentalist sect. That is what I hear anyway. I don't know and believe it is all a matter of semantics.

I wanted to share a bit of what hubby and I very briefly experienced among these people . Several years ago, after my husband and I left our Lutheran church and were very disillusioned about church, faith, etc....traveled up to Berlin, Ohio to spend some time. While Berlin itself is largely a tourist area, I think we were able to experience a bit more than what a casual visitor might see. We made friends with a young Mennonite woman who worked as a housekeeper at the inn where we stayed. We told her of our desire to learn about Amish church without wanting to intrude or exploit the people in any way. She put us in contact with an older husband and wife who were members of the Old Order Amish. I know that the Amish groups vary widely - living according to the rules of their particular order. "Old Order" is supposed to be as fundamentally unchanged as possible. This old couple welcomed us and welcomed our questions. They got permission from their church bishops to allow us to visit their Sunday preaching service and we were even invited to a meal afterwards. I believe this was a rather unique opportunity to be among them in a way that they did not feel invaded. From all that I understand, they avoid visitors because they are so often gawked at, etc. Folks visit the area and try to take pictures.

The home that hosted the service that weekend we attended lived in a beautiful large farmhouse. Our host family explained to us that they met for "church" every other Sunday and took turns meeting in the larger homes of members. The house had been meticulously cleaned and prepared to receive the members on that particular Sunday. They did have indoor plumbing that was worked by the use of a water wheel that had been built next to the house. Maybe a gravity-type thing? The kitchen had refrigeration and power that was run by - I believe an oil or propane source. They explained it to us - I know that there was no electricity. They did have a cellphone also. The rooms were lit with oil lamps. The furniture was simple but attractive. The windows had the green shades and white curtains that were pulled to the side and draped over pegs. The husband liked to do woodwork and the yard was decorated with windmills that he had made. I believe he sold these as a business.

We entered the building (their basement) through separate doors for women and men. Each sex also sat on separate sides of the room on long wooden benches that had no backs.

The service itself was at least 3 hours long. Everything was in German. Dennis and I understand German fairly well and were able to follow along with the singing and preaching which were "High German", but not the conversation. That was something of a mix between German and English - the "Pennsylvania Dutch". They spoke English to us. We had learned that most of the women do not understand High German either - only some of the men. I wondered how the women were supposed to take part in the service and we were told that their husbands were responsible for teaching them what they needed to know. The service began with an hour of hymn singing. Most folks knew the words but I followed along in a hymnal. Every hymn was sung to the same melody - very slow and not really even a melody exactly. Then came the preaching. Three different preachers spoke for maybe 45 minutes each.

Then came the meal. The men set up long tables and then went outside to talk. I helped the women set out dishes, fill glasses with water and lemonade, and set out the meal. There were huge platters of simple foods such as pickles, hard boiled eggs, cheeses, breads, baked sweets and some lunchmeats. The women explained that they usually did not have meats served but that today was "special". We all sat, again - men on one side and women on the other, and enjoyed the meal.

The younger women seemed very happy to have me there and spent most of the time asking ME questions :) They were very curious about how I lived, what I did and if my life was really like things they had heard. I loved talking with them and playing with the many babies. The older women (older than me anyway) stood mostly aside and seemed content watching, smiling and nodding at me. I guess we were quite the curiosity that day. Our host told us that they had never had an "english" visitor at their services before.

We had some time later in the afternoon to talk with our hosts. While they treated us very warmly, their two teenage children seemed rather sullen and unhappy to have us there. I did not really understand that. The son stared at us and grunted out a brief greeting to us when we met him. The older daughter seemed quite curious about us and watched us along with a friend of hers. The parents told us that they were unhappy because this daughter was rejecting the Old Order and attending a New Order. They felt she had become too liberal. From our observation and in speaking with her - she still wore the "plain" clothing and was making plans to leave soon on a mission trip with her new church. I thought it rather odd that she wore her long hair loose at the house - in front of Dennis. She first came out to meet us while wearing only a white nightdress. Likely these are some of the things that hurt her parents - the lack of modesty.

It was a very interesting visit to this part of Ohio. I loved our time there and felt very welcome and cared for. What I saw agreed with much of what I had already learned from my reading. The lifestyle is romanticised a great deal. I know I could never live that way but I have to admire anyone who lives with hardship to uphold their convictions. Well, just a bit about our personal experience - I thought this might be interesting to some of you here. Our visit was a refreshing escape from our usual life.

mugsy
10-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Shipshewana, IN is also almost all Amish...

We have a lot of Amish on the eastern side of our county in IN and they are in the county directly south of us and then of course in LaGrange, and Elkhart Co, IN. They live in other counties, but those are the heaviest populated.

The Menonites are a much more liberal group than the Amish, but, are still much more conservative....like for instance some sects can only drive black cars and the women wear the white bonnets.

smokey the elder
10-04-2006, 02:53 PM
It's interesting you selected religioustolerance.org as a source. I checked that out after finding it on Google. I didn't realize how many "flavors" of Amish there were. I am concerned for their future because of the limited size of the community. The Lancaster County Amish came from 200 original settlers.

There is much to admire and ponder. There is also much that I disagree with, being the rabid feminist liberal pagan I am! :p

Jadapit
10-04-2006, 02:55 PM
The Menonites are a much more liberal group than the Amish, but, are still much more conservative....like for instance some sects can only drive black cars and the women wear the white bonnets.

The Mennonite women here do wear the white bonnets. Also, they wear long dress everyday. I have never seen any of the ladies in pants. We have a lot of Mennonite neighbors. They have boughten as much land and houses as they can right beside one another...

Pam
10-04-2006, 03:01 PM
What an interesting account Debbie. As Lancaster, PA is about 90 mins. from me we have gone there often. This is also an area that has an abundance of Outlet Stores for those of us who live material lives that I am sure they can't even imagine. The only thing I could think to add is in regarding their dress. They do not use buttons on their clothing, although I don't know why. The area away from the Outlets is just beautiful rolling farmland and their farms are meticulously kept.

sasvermont
10-04-2006, 03:26 PM
The Amish areas always look so tidy and homey. Their lives are different. They are not big on baths. They wash, just not as often as we do. Since they don't have "running water" like most of us do, the bath is done differently and not so often!

I had dated an oral surgeon years ago and he had done research on the Amish community and clef palates/hair lips. It was interesting. They also have a high rate on retardation in their community. Well, I am not an authority on this topic so I am going to stop.

I think the Web site Sarah left for us will be useful to all.

Thanks again Sarah.

popcornbird
10-04-2006, 03:39 PM
Thanks so much everyone for explaining and for the links. This is very interesting.

Sirrahbed, thanks for telling about your experience. Wow. Makes me want to go and meet some Amish people. I find it amazing, and would love to experience a bit of their old/country-style living someday. I've always been a city girl and doubt I could ever live such a life, but it would be interesting to experience it for a day or two sometime. I used to dream of living on a farm, as a child, and having all sorts of animals around me. :D Now when I think of it, I imagine it would be a hard life, but it would still be nice to experience a different lifestyle, different people. Do these people tend to follow the Bible more closely than other Christian sects? Some of their beliefs seem similar to my own, but others are just sooo different...and some rather strange.

Oh...I think someone mentioned they don't use modern toilets...:eek: If they don't use modern toilets, 'what' do they use?? Do they use those 'floor toilets' people have in older homes, in other countries? Or is it something even 'older'? After all...'floor toilets' do flush normally...they're just on the ground.

Jadapit
10-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Awhile back Oprah had some Amish kids on her show. Some of the stuff they said about them was wild. Not good things I might add. They put the teenage kids out into the real world at 16. The kids then decide if they want to live in the world or go back to the Amish ways. Of course, the kids had no clue about the real world. So many of them got into drinking and drugs. It was a very intresting show.

Edwina's Secretary
10-04-2006, 04:01 PM
A few years back I spent alot of time in Shipshewana and Nappanee. And a town called Arthur in Illinois that is also heavily Amish. I enjoyed it as I had such good memories from books I had read. But it is true that hygiene standards are not always what we are accustomed to and this sometimes creates conflict (as when their children attend English schools.) It is a peacful life but not always easy...especially for the girls. And if you leave the life you are shunned by your family.

I am very envious Deb, of your up close and personal experience!

Flatcoatluver
10-04-2006, 04:25 PM
When I was on vacation in eastern Washington, my dad was driving around and found a amish type place. All I can really remember that he told me is that they gave him dirty looks. I think I will have to call him tonight and ask him about it.

Anita Cholaine
10-04-2006, 04:28 PM
I hadn't actually heard of them before the tragedy, but I have to admit that I find fascinating the way they live. I'm checking all the links posted now.

dab_20
10-04-2006, 04:47 PM
I have known about the Amish since I was around 8. One time I saw a whole group of Amish people walk onto a bus I was on. They rarely use this kind of transportation, so I was wondering why they were on the bus. My uncle and I talked to them for awhile, mostly asking about there lifestyle and they were very nice and happy to tell us about it. People like us rarely are welcomed into their community, simply because of that very reason. They are trying to avoid violence at all costs. It's really sad and awful what happened to them. :(

animal_rescue
10-04-2006, 04:54 PM
I think we have Amish people living about 45 min away from me(In Indiana). There's this place called Amish Acres and you can go and see what Amish life is like there. It's really cool, I love visiting. Plus they have FANTASTIC food! :D

Chilli
10-04-2006, 05:12 PM
I know they have some amish around Springfeild, MO.... in Seymore, maybe?
When I visit my aunt in springfeild, we usually see them with their horse-drawn buggies along the highway a little outside of the city.

RedHedd
10-04-2006, 05:56 PM
One of the best TV shows I saw in the recent past was last year's "Amish in the City." I know it was a take-off on all the reality shows, but it really was well done and gave a peek into the lives of the Amish people. I learned a lot by watching that show and have a lot of respect for the lifestyle they live, given the world we live in today. They are amazing people.

I wish Imagestation would find my signature pic! GRRRR

Suki Wingy
10-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Most people have already gotten it but I'd like to add that my aunt goes to a tack shop owned by Amish people. Often times they come to the Museum of Science and Industry durring the period of time they're given to choose weather they want to stay Amish.

BitsyNaceyDog
10-04-2006, 06:42 PM
I know there is a LOT of them in upstate NY too, especially around Middlesex, Naples, Rushville, PennYann area. I see some at least every other day or so. And if memory serves me right Ohio and Iowa have them too.
Most of the ones in NY are Mennonites, but like Jadapit said, they're VERY similar. We used to spend a lot of time in the finger lakes area and we'd always stop by their stands and the farmers markets. There's nothing better than a home baked strawberry-rhubarb pie!

I don't think most are as strict about outside things as they used to be. Growing up my family went to Pennsylvania often to see family. We'd always stop at the Amish farms to get fruit and veggies, or pies and baked goods. The Amish people we met always seemed quiet and even cold. My mom met an Amish woman a couple years ago and they became friends. The woman lives in Pennsylvania and my mom lives here in Florida so they don't see each other, but they do keep in touch. My mom's friend does have electricity and she even has a computer with internet that she uses for email. I don't really know too much about her and I've never met her.

Aspen and Misty
10-04-2006, 08:51 PM
I used to live near Lancaster PA (Amish Central) and we would always see in our newspaper pictures of the Amish and sometimes even reports of Buggy Accidents (like it was a car accident). We would drive slowly behind the Amish and there Buggy’s as there horses pulled them galloping down the street. For me while I was growing up they were just a part of every day life. Now that I live in Atlanta GA. I realize most people have never seen them before. I can't imagine that! There farms were every where and Puppy mills were much more talked about up there because there were tons of Puppy mill farms. I dunno, it suprises me how my everyday neighbors are so no existant in other parts of the world.

Ashley

cyber-sibes
10-05-2006, 02:15 PM
Sirrahbed, what an interesting experience you had! That whole area around Berlin is beautiful, isn't it?

Having lived most of my life in Ohio, I have always seen Amish around here. My sons lived in Wooster for a while, and I often saw horses & buggies tied up behind stores & banks. We became friendly with an Amish man about 20 years ago when we were taking our son & he was taking his, to the same doctor for neurlological problems. His son was retarded and we talked about that - he said they didn't see this as a tragedy or a problem, it was just his son's "way", everyone accepted him just the way he was, and they all took care of him. He was very interesting & invited us down. There was one payphone that several families used. He told us to call the number and just ask for him, they would come get him & meet us in town. He was curious about our lifestyle, and told us he was alot more "open" than most Amish. He actually came and visited us at our home, too. We talked about the "reputation" for honesty of the Amish, he said, "well, we are like anyone else, some are good and others not so good."
Many of the large Amish communities here in Ohio feel there is getting to be too much influence on them from "the outside", and over the past couple decades, have sold their farms and moved to Kentucky. But we still have alot of Amish. They are very much in demand as construction workers - it's not uncommon to see a whole crew of Amish doing framing & roofing. They use power equipment for their sawmills and work. Amish cooking and Amish-made furniture are very popular all around Ohio.

Jessika
10-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Amish are all over here in Missouri. Living in Branson, there are LOTS of Amish stores and such.

Donnaj4962
10-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Everyone has already done a good job explaining about the Amish, so I thought I'd add an anecdote. There is a town in Indiana called Nappanee that is essentially an Amish Town.
My parents and I were in an old car club (Model 'A' club - cars from the late 1920's early 1930's) that would go on tours as a group, and one of those tours took us to Nappanee for some of the best food I ever had! It was at a large Amish farmstead, where an Amish family fixed us food. Totally neat experience and everyone was so nice. It was cool to eat by only the light of candles and be in a place with no modern facilities such as electricity and running water.

I'm not sure if this same family does this today, but I do know there is a resort in Nappanee called 'Amish Acres' that has an inn on the grounds of a historic farm.

I live about 30 minutes from Nappannee and "Amish Acres". There is also a community close to there called Shipshewana. There is a flea market there a few days a week and an Amish auction where the Amish come to buy wagons and wheels and horses, etc. Many folks from this area try to get to "Shipsey" at least once each summer. There are beautiful handmade crafts to be bought! Also, to the east of Ft. Wayne is a small community called Grabill and there are many Amish in that area also. There are several different "orders" of the Amish lifestyle and each has their own regulations, so to speak. I have always thought it would be interesting to live their life for a few days!

I have another anecdote about the Amish and their use of technology. When I was married, we needed a new roof on our house, and we hired an "Amish Crew" to do it. They all came in a van driven by someone NOT in their order, and most of them had cell phones! ;)

K9karen
10-05-2006, 11:59 PM
One of the sadest things I heard about this horrible disaster, was that the families will have no photographs of their children. The only visual memories will be toys or clothing.

kitten645
10-06-2006, 02:19 AM
I'd recommend seeing the Harrison Ford movie "Witness". I don't know how accurate it was but I remember learning alot about the Amish in that movie.

wolfsoul
10-06-2006, 08:59 AM
I've never seen any Amish -- however I've seen a great deal of Polygomists that run quite a similar life. I am very interested in the Amish, however I believe that they are romaticized greatly. They are highly inbred as there are so few of them. Rape and Sexual molestation is quite common from what I've heard -- as if a woman reports a man for anything, she is automatically exiled. Of course this wouldn't be every community -- I'm sure alot of them are good, honest, people. I would love to meet some Amish and talk to them. I enjoyed that reality show -- I forget what it was called. But they had some Amish teenagers competing, it was really cool.

Karen
10-06-2006, 09:08 AM
I've never seen any Amish -- however I've seen a great deal of Polygomists that run quite a similar life. I am very interested in the Amish, however I believe that they are romaticized greatly. They are highly inbred as there are so few of them.

There are ten of thousands of them. Your statement may be true within certain individual communities, but it is unwise to make such a blanket statement without citing sources.

Rape and Sexual molestation is quite common from what I've heard -- as if a woman reports a man for anything, she is automatically exiled. Of course this wouldn't be every community -- I'm sure alot of them are good, honest, people. I would love to meet some Amish and talk to them. I enjoyed that reality show -- I forget what it was called. But they had some Amish teenagers competing, it was really cool.

The show was called "Amish in the City" - Amish kids are traditionally given a period of time "off" - into the rest of the world, so they can then consciously decide, with full knowlege, to become officially Amish or not. Choosing the modern way of life, though, often means losing all contact with family and friend who remain "within the Life."

Jessika
10-06-2006, 09:11 AM
I enjoyed that reality show -- I forget what it was called. But they had some Amish teenagers competing, it was really cool.
They weren't competing, they were participating in what is called a Rumspringa which is where they venture into the modern world to decide if they want to live that life or continue living the life of an Amish.

wolf_Q
10-06-2006, 05:07 PM
I, personally, would never visit any Amish tourism areas because they are one of the largest suppliers of puppies (from mills where dogs are kept in horrible conditions) in the country. I don't want to be supporting that in any way.
http://www.banpuppymills.com/
http://www.puppymillrescue.com/Prisoners.htm