PDA

View Full Version : Alopecia Areata

Fur&Feathers
10-04-2006, 09:18 AM
My mother was recently diagnosed with Alopecia Areata (http://www.naaf.org/default2.asp) . Lately it's been getting worse, but she was finally learning to cope and beginning to enjoy everything she used to again. Today (our) boss hands her a banadana and tell her she needs it. How RUDE and insensitive is that?! :mad: It's not like it affects her job, she still does an excellent job. I just can't believe he said that to her. :mad: Sorry, had to vent.

gini
10-04-2006, 09:31 AM
I think I would print out the article that you have included along with a book on "How to be sensitive" and give both to your boss.

But sadly, I doubt if you can teach someone to be sensitive if they aren't already.

Catty1
10-04-2006, 10:18 AM
Good God! Either report this to HIS boss or labour relations. If she is doing a good job, I would think she has job security.

I wonder if he has a pot belly - she could bring in a girdle for him and tell him HE needs it! :mad:

I hope she doesn't take this lying down!

moosmom
10-04-2006, 12:20 PM
I agree with Catty1. Report him. Just because she has no hair, does not mean she isn't able to do her job. That is discrimination and should be reported.

Freckles
10-04-2006, 03:19 PM
I'm glad to see you found the NAAF website.

About five years ago my dermatologist diagnosed me with AA and gave me a brochure which explained it. I lost about 1/3rd of my hair. I was given cortizone shots in the scalp and over 1 1/2 years, it all grew back. About two years ago I had a relapse - my beautician and I could see the spots which were about 1 inch around - a few more shots and I'm ok now. I was already retired when this happened so I didn’t have your Mother’s experience. But when I would go out in the public, heads turned, so, for my comfort, I started wearing caps. I’ve noticed the last couple of years there are more stylish ones than those available to me. I'm not sure if my experience is helpful to you.

If your Mother hasn’t yet, I would encourage she join NAAF. They send monthly newsletters which have been helpful to me. She can also access the NAAF Bulletin Board. It’s similar to PetTalk. You can read the topics and see how other members respond. It’s a great tool. They also can send you brochures to give to others. I’m sorry your mother’s boss has issues with this. Maybe this information will help.

Pawsitive Thinking
10-05-2006, 05:08 AM
I hope your Mum does report this insensitive idiot!!!

I wonder if he has a pot belly - she could bring in a girdle for him and tell him HE needs it!

Great idea!

Daisy and Delilah
10-05-2006, 07:01 AM
This has to be devastating enough for your Mom. How rude of this person to say that to her. I'm sorry it happened. {{{{HUGS MOM}}}} :(

wolfsoul
10-05-2006, 09:28 AM
I have alopecia -- it mainly affects me eyelashes. I would be so upset if someone said something like that to me. What a horrible thing for someone to say.