PDA

View Full Version : If Runner has hip displaysia she wouldn't....

ashleycat
10-03-2006, 12:25 PM
jump over the baby gate. Says my husband.

Runners been having accidents lately inside the house. Just past couple days so far. So lately at night I put the baby gate up with her in our room. She does fine.

Well, today we left for half an hour, I baby gated her in the bedroom and came back to her on the other side of it. She jumped it. I didn't think she could. I knew Charlie could, but he was bigger and stuff.

Everytime she stands on her hind legs greeting us, he says.. See, she doesn't have hip displaysia.

:rolleyes:

Logan
10-03-2006, 01:15 PM
I can't help but think that your husband is exactly right, at least based on my own experience.

My Lilly (Golden Retriever.....7 1/2 years old) was diagnosed with mild hip dysplasia when she was only 18 months old. This dog has never "jumped" anywhere, even as a small puppy, nor has she ever gotten up on her hind legs to beg or anything. Thankfully, we have been able to keep her pain under control with daily doses of buffered aspirin and Glucosimine, but still she moves slowly, getting up and down, and she "climbs", doesn't jump.

Perhaps your Runner doesn't have hip dysplasia. Have x-rays been done? It is usually very evident in the x-rays.

lv4dogs
10-03-2006, 02:25 PM
Raustyk has had both cruciates repaired on both of her back legs and they still bother her to this day. She's so enthusiastic that she still tries to jump & run etc... Of course if she gets away with it she's pretty sore for a little while afterwards though.
Nanook on the other hand, well he's a little smarter. :p When his arthritis first started to bother him he would limit his activity on his own. He knew what he could & couldn't do.

I know it's not HD but it's kind of similiar as both will affect how the dog can perform.

It's not that they won't jump or run it's that if they do it could cause more harm & pain is all. Some dogs are just better at managing what their bodies can handle or not. Of course adrenaline plays a roll too, if something entices them enough they may very well try to do somwthing that they normally wouldn't do otherwise.

lizbud
10-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Raustyk has had both cruciates repaired on both of her back legs and they still bother her to this day. She's so enthusiastic that she still tries to jump & run etc... Of course if she gets away with it she's pretty sore for a little while afterwards though.

I know it's not HD but it's kind of similiar as both will affect how the dog can perform.

It's not that they won't jump or run it's that if they do it could cause more harm & pain is all. Some dogs are just better at managing what their bodies can handle or not. Of course adrenaline plays a roll too, if something entices them enough they may very well try to do somwthing that they normally wouldn't do otherwise.

This was also true of my RB Buddy.If he realy wanted to do something bad enough, he would do it & pay later by showing pain for days after. Right after
his first surgery on both legs, the Vet tech & I walked him slowly to the car.
She was prepared to lift him in, but when he realized he could go home with me, he jumped all on his own, into the car. The Vet tech & I were amazed.
Sure enougn, he developed two major sized hematomas on both legs from
the exertion.

cmayer31
10-04-2006, 12:16 AM
My Riley has hip displaysia in both hips and has been confirmed by x-rays when she was 10 months old. She's a very active dog and will still run around and jump. However, if I don't limit the "rough" movements she will be sore the following day.

We've worked on the command "Go Crazy" and she'll sping and run around and then when I say "Settle" she'll calm down. When she gets excited about a new toy, food, or person the settle command comes in handy.